Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

They do, but I’d be happy with 11th/12th this season to consolidate. I think we’ll do very well to finish in the top half. 

Happy with 12th. We are 12th. Come and have a moan. Strange.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Dean probably does. Although I don't feel the need to desperately blame people when we lose when things are going OK. 

It's the ridiculous comments about him losing his job that gets me. Everytime we lose a game. 

I think people saying he should be sacked is the minority though thankfully

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s had a habit of making odd decisions during the game since he joined tbh. His substitutions often don’t make a great deal of sense. 

I don't see what's odd about them at all. 

Despite it's now come out Cash and Buendia both needed to come off, and we already know Luiz landed less than 24 hours before KO...they still all seem feasible to me?

2-0 up trying to shore up with three more defensive options. Didn't work clearly but wasn't as though he brought on players out of form or position and changed loads.

Still the right man for the job for sure, but today will be a tough one for him to take. 

If performances across the season trend towards good, he'll be fine.

The Ings/Watkins thing has never worked and continues not to work. Even if we’re playing a 3-5-2, I don’t think they’re the right partnership. 

For a club that looks like everything is meticulously prepared and prepped the Ings signing was strange looking to me. Purely for where on earth he was going to fit in.

He's playing better than Watkins and deserves to keep his place for sure. Not sure he can give us the all round pressing and hold-up Ollie does though. Might force the team to stop playing hopeful balls though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Dean probably does. Although I don't feel the need to desperately blame people when we lose when things are going OK

Things going okay is not the standard we should be at nor accept. We are a club investing in every single aspect of Aston Villa with the objective of European football. 'Okay' is an unacceptable standard and should be weeded out of the club

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its really bitter throwing away a game like that. I was looking at the table in play and we were sitting pretty. Looked like our good home form was going to continue. Villa havent capitulated like that for a long time. Its something deep in this clubs DNA that was slowly being exorcised by the players and manager but reared its ugly head again today. I thought Mings showed exactly the opposite from what you want from a captain, he was just swinging his leg at things constantly and putting us under pressure losing the ball. Konsa and Tuanzebe werent great either. Its a shame it really is because its flipped a good start into a bad one now and we have it all to do now to regain some form. Get players back fit, namely Bailey, and see what we can do going back to a 4-3-3. Sanson will be knocking on the door too. Buendia is getting there. Wolves capitalised on a collective from the fans in the ground and players on that pitch all bricking it. You could just sense it coming the big air of inevitability. A lucky deflection in the last minute is unjust but thats how it goes sometimes. Mentality was lacking, the players that came on couldnt get with the pace of the game and they punished us. Simple as that. We got done over. Its painful but we just have to get on with it now and show some heart against Arsenal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We are far too good to go down even with Smith as manager. If we were in any danger of that happening he would be swiftly replaced as any average manager could keep this team up comfortably. 

I think if results and performances like today continue to happen he will be gone. Wolves are not great and other than Neves their only real top player is Jimenez who only came on for the last 7 minutes.

I think he's on thin ice if I'm honest. We're below where we should be. 

Largely agree with your point but given way board backed him in 19/20 think thin ice is a bit OTT.

Think we need something v Arsenal otherwise we're on one of those frustrating losing streaks that suddenly appear out of nowhere in his reign in the seasons he's been here.

After that game we have likes of Southampton, Brighton, Palace so to go into December well in bottom half would be disappointing and I actually don't think he'd survive that situation given we are now an established prem club again.

This actually reminds me of where Leicester were 2-3 years ago. They were mugging around 12-13th mid season with a squad similar to ours. Proven quality (Vardy, Schmiechel, Maguire etc) and some really good young players like Chilwell and Maddison coming through.

They sacked Claude Puel and got in Rodgers and since then narrowly missed finishing 4th in two seperate seasons and won FA cup so it was a very good decision.

Dean's done well for us no doubt but seems to be this idea he's the only manager around who could ever get us back into europe or win us a trophy again. Last 10 minutes of today makes that a bit of a mockery.

I'm sure likes of Conte and Luciene Favre would have a good go at that. Those may be unrealistic managerial appointments but those will be the types Newcastle will try to tempt in next two years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Things going okay is not the standard we should be at nor accept. We are a club investing in every single aspect of Aston Villa with the objective of European football. 'Okay' is an unacceptable standard and should be weeded out of the club

We've been an OK premier league team once in the last decade. Ok right now is fine. 2/3 years in the future then I'd agree. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

So is European football, but should it be?

I agree after the games this season I do think we are midtable team, but also think we have a midtable manager.

Mid table teams can still challenge for 7th-8th. 8th place would be a pretty good finish for us this season even if it means no europe. Think back to Arsenal last season, bottom half for most of last season and were about 3 minutes off finishing 7th in the end.

If we're finishing 12th-13th and a good 10 + points off 8th then I really don't see an argument for DS continuing tbh. That would be classic case of manager doing an overall good job but taking side as far as he can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

We've been an OK premier league team once in the last decade. Ok right now is fine. 2/3 years in the future then I'd agree. 

I think the only issue with that is it won't take long for Newcastle to fly past us like teams like Leicester, West Ham etc have done in last decade.

I get the feeling to keep likes of Martinez and Luiz we need to be playing europa before too long and they are obviously very important to us in the positions they play. I certainly wouldn't fancy a summer having to replace both.

I think below 4th quality in prem is very average when you look at how Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham have started the season so I'd rather have a proper go now than wait another 2-3 years when North London two may have rebuilt and be much stronger and Newcastle will fully be in the mix by then.

Listening to him on the radio on the way home, said he didn’t think the game changed when they scored there 1st, it was all them soon as that went it, everyone in the ground could see the momentum change 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

As I have said before, you would really be a poor manager. Okay is not okay and I very much doubt anybody at the club is telling the players this. We are aiming to win every single game we play. We may not have a team to challenge for top 4, but I also doubt anyone is saying don't worry about losing to Man City or Chelsea. We go out to win and get as high up the table as possible.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

There is a difference to being an Okay Team and things going okay. I think we have a good squad and an okay team which is currently acceptable imo. But progress being 'okay' is completely unacceptable. Our progression should be good to excellent for people to keep their jobs, whether that be players, coaches, backroom staff or Smith. We cannot be a club to take the foot off the pedal and coast. Relentless drive to improve is a must.

Â