Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would say DS is still at a position in life where he would like to make some very serious money. He is 'only' on about 1.5m a year, so about 800k a year net. 

He was on £1.5m on his original contract 3 years ago when he joined us in the Championship. That was a 4 year contract.

Has he signed an updated contract since then?   Or does he just have 1 year left on his original contract?

Edited by ender4

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

no way is deano only on 28k a week.

There is a significant hike in income to the next man on the list, with Aston Villa boss Dean Smith earning a reported £31,250 per week – translating to £1.5million per year.

https://goalballlive.com/all-2020-premier-league-managers-salaries-have-been-published/

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

He was on £1.5m on his original contract 3 years ago when he joined us in the Championship. That was a 4 year contract.

He was on under 1m a year for is first contract with us by all reports and got close to 600k pay rise with the new contract. He was on 400k at Bees, so he more than doubled his salary joining us which sounds reasonable

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I say Dean Smith is on a million pound a week.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. Sportek look like some dodgy streaming website.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

just an interesting comparison of 2 managers at their respective clubs, but contrasting perceptions, but the numbers don't back it up.

Steve Bruce 96 games....29.2 win ratio.

Graham Potter 94 games 29.8 win ratio.

and yet the perception of the 2 managers is colossal in difference.

99% of football clubs might win maybe one trophy in their next 10 years. The umpteen other trophies will be shared between the 1% forever.

Style matters massively. I don't want to watch a team with no plan fluke results.

Be great when Bruce and his like are out of football forever. Won't be long now. The chancers time is over.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KMitch said:

You hit the nail on the head here.  

Personally, I'm not even comparing Dean to Potter when I big up Potter.... Lol.

It's just that some people take bigging up of any other manager ( Especially English ) on here, as a dig or comparison.

More down to people being overly defensive IMO.

I managed to see alot of Brighton last season, and thought they played very good football, and were often unlucky.

Watched them literally play certain teams off the park, and fail to score, and end up drawing or losing.

I pointed out that this mentality, is similar to how people used to go mental at the thought that any other young English player is the squad, percieved to be keeping Jack out, had to be slagged or attacked. Or even posters being turned on for " not realising how Jack good is " or " not supporting their own " for simply acknowledging there were othe rgood young English players.

I personally think it's good to see another English manager who aspires to play attractive football.

I'm quite happy with Deano, for a multitude of reasons.

• Like 1

Funnily enough the Chelsea game is our best performance by far. And we lost that game 3-0.

Brentford and Watford was poor to average.

Everton game looks good if you look at the score line but we looked average until Bailey came on.

Spurs game was poor imo but some fans will argue it was average.

Man Utd is a game that could have gone either way, luckily enough we got the rub of the green that game. But you have to say it was a good performance taking into the consideration the opposition.

All in all an average start to the season. Highly inconsistent both in the way we play and results.

If Smith doesn't find any consistency it will be hard to improve on last season, and we are looking very 11thish at the moment.

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’re pretty much always wrong so I expect us to finish top 10 at least. 

What he’s really saying even if he doesn’t mean it is that half our games this season so far have been against top 6 opposition and we’re still 10th. Lets see where we are after we’ve played a representative subset of opposition.

• Like 1

To have 10 points on the board and a plus GD is probably level par for me considering the fixtures and the never ending disruptions. Dean Smith just gets on with it, classy as ever in everything he says. Inconsistent is just what I expect when you can never play your strongest side. Watford was a disaster; Newcastle we simply got the job done; Brentford turned out to be a decent point considering the team we had to put out; Chelsea we were brilliant and unlucky; Everton got the job done and showed we could blitz someone when not playing great; Utd away was a top result; then Spurs was very disjointed and we deserved to lose so I cant really complain. I actually think this next batch of games is going to be extremely tough, but am excited to see how we do.

I Wouldn’t want anyone else leading this club. Its been a very long time since we’ve been this upwardly mobile and healthy. Consistently got results against the top sides, and every game we go into I know we always have a chance. That feeling is priceless.

The owners, CEO & Manager all together have taken us to this point as a unit of solidarity who all believe in each other; which in turn has put us in a place of stability; the foundations to continue to be ambitious. That show of strength from the top down is great to see and anyone I speak to say they can see how Villa look very strong again all of a sudden. How some fans would want to rock the boat ill never know. They talk as if a new manager would take us on indefinitely just as smoothly as that. Would they? What just never lose and draw games either that we’re expected to win. Theyd want them out after a few losses too i suspect. I love what we’re building it feels right and organic with one of our own. Hope Deano continues for a very long time. UTV

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I say Dean Smith is on a million pound a week.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. Sportek look like some dodgy streaming website.

Every single reference to Smith's wage suggests he is on about 1.5m a year. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it isn't true.

25 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

To have 10 points on the board and a plus GD is probably level par for me considering the fixtures and the never ending disruptions. Dean Smith just gets on with it, classy as ever in everything he says. Inconsistent is just what I expect when you can never play your strongest side. Watford was a disaster; Newcastle we simply got the job done; Brentford turned out to be a decent point considering the team we had to put out; Chelsea we were brilliant and unlucky; Everton got the job done and showed we could blitz someone when not playing great; Utd away was a top result; then Spurs was very disjointed and we deserved to lose so I cant really complain. I actually think this next batch of games is going to be extremely tough, but am excited to see how we do.

I Wouldn’t want anyone else leading this club. Its been a very long time since we’ve been this upwardly mobile and healthy. Consistently got results against the top sides, and every game we go into I know we always have a chance. That feeling is priceless.

The owners, CEO & Manager all together have taken us to this point as a unit of solidarity who all believe in each other; which in turn has put us in a place of stability; the foundations to continue to be ambitious. That show of strength from the top down is great to see and anyone I speak to say they can see how Villa look very strong again all of a sudden. How some fans would want to rock the boat ill never know. They talk as if a new manager would take us on indefinitely just as smoothly as that. Would they? What just never lose and draw games either that we’re expected to win. Theyd want them out after a few losses too i suspect. I love what we’re building it feels right and organic with one of our own. Hope Deano continues for a very long time. UTV

Couldn’t agree more!

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm a big fan of what Potter has done. 

But mentioning any manager in the Dean Smith thread is obviously to have a dig or compare. Why else would they be mentioned in this specific thread? 

To be fair, I haven't really been able to follow the thread or see all the posts.

Just hopped in and out and seen certain posts. So I might have missed alot of context.

I've been giving him some praise since last season, much to the annoyance of @Zatman who thinks they are " the most overrated team and manager combo. " Lol

You make a fair point. My posts re: Potter are usually in response to someone else mentioning him, or in the " Other Football " section when there are games on.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

What he’s really saying even if he doesn’t mean it is that half our games this season so far have been against top 6 opposition and we’re still 10th. Lets see where we are after we’ve played a representative subset of opposition.

And/or finally get to have our full " best 11 " having a settled run of games!

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, I haven't really been able to follow the thread or see all the posts.

Just hopped in and out and seen certain posts. So I might have missed alot of context.

I've been giving him some praise since last season, much to the annoyance of @Zatman who thinks they are " the most overrated team and manager combo. " Lol

You make a fair point. My posts re: Potter are usually in response to someone else mentioning him, or in the " Other Football " section when there are games on.

Well they really are, they finished 16th last season and Potter is made out like a  managerial genius. He finished below Steve Bruce and Roy Hodgson. They could have went into a relegation battle if Fulham werent so shit 

He is a good manager have always said so but is way overrated on here 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well they really are, they finished 16th last season and Potter is made out like a  managerial genius. He finished below Steve Bruce and Roy Hodgson. They could have went into a relegation battle if Fulham werent so shit 

He is a good manager have always said so but is way overrated on here 

Agree!  Brighton have had a fairly easy fixture list to start the season.  I want him to do well because he's a local lad and I think he has something but his record so far is pretty average at best.  Judging him based on the small set of fixtures so far this season as he's turned the corner is not reasonable.  He plays pretty football for the neutral but he's struggled for years to get the results to add to that, seven games into a new season doesnt change that.  Good luck to him though!

Not a comparison to Smith imo.  Smith is well ahead of him and his recent history backs that up for me.

Sign of a good manager/coach is if the players improve. Jack went from being a 25million player to a £100million player.

Nearly every player has improved under Dean Smith at Villa. Guys like Nakamba, Hause, El-Ghazi are decent enough to bring in for a few games here and there. 

Yes I wanted him replaced when we were flirting with relegation but since project restart he's been one of the best. In fact I wouldn't change him for anyone even my boy Marcelo Gallardo. May the improvement continue.

Great job Dean.

Â