Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree with this but I only think we have been poor for one half this season. I honestly don’t think we were as bad as people make out against Spurs. 

I assume u are referring to the 1st half against Watford and yes that was by far our worst performance in a long time. The rest have been a lot better but I think there are some games where we just don't look up to it. I can't really explain what I mean but sometimes, like against Spurs, we just look a little slow, or not prepared to really roll up our sleeves and force a result against the better team on the day. I always remember Man Utd under SAF, when they had an off day and the players just were not ticking, the team always managed to show real grit and determination to squeeze a result against the run of play. I think the attitude of Roy Keane on the pitch is what I really want to see in a Villa team. The relentless drive to win every ball and give blood for the team is lacking at times with us. When we go behind or have an off day we very often take the foot off the pedal and relax and go through the motions till the final whistle. 

Referencing Roy Keane is not a call for a DM, it is the attitude of Roy Keane I would like to see in some of our players

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

But we were massively underachieving when he walked through the door as our manager, you know that. The team he took over was unbalanced (defence was all over the place) but he had some of the best players in the league going forward and Grealish of course. Leicester were a decent side when Rodgers took over but nowhere near top 6 or top 4.

See you’re devaluing Smiths effort because yes Villa were underachieving but so were Leicester who were (again) two years away from being Champions.  Maybe I’m defending Smith a bit much here but I think you are being too harsh on Smith.

I think Smith has done well to keep progressing us every season and he deserves credit for that. He has tactically outwitted some top managers but also been outwitted himself.

Like all managers even the elite managers as we have shown beating some of them.

Tactically I think he can improve: eg against Tottenham we played the same team and set-up as against Man U because we got a great result there, but it was a completely different game that required a different approach. I also think he is slow to make changes and doesn’t use his squad (which is now very strong) enough.

This is your opinion though which is fair enough, it doesn’t make it right.  You maybe right, you maybe wrong!  I don’t agree with a lot of what you’ve said here but it’s all about opinions.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Compare that to us at times. Barely being able to string 2 passes together. Reverting to playing long balls like against Spurs. Looking like a team consisting of complete strangers.

Funny, the Premier League stats website shows Brighton have played the 2nd most long balls this season (Burnley unsurprisingly are 1st)

Potters a very good coach, but lets not make out he's like Pep at Barca running over teams with tiki taka 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Consistency isn't just about results. It's about how the team looks every week. The patterns of play. The fluid passing etc. Brighton have that. We don't.

If we only won 9 league games per season for the last two seasons this site would go into meltdown saying it’s not how pretty we play it’s about getting results and calling for Smith Out.  No point having fluid football and winning less than 24% of your games like Potter and finishing just above relegation for the last two seasons.  

People have been saying on this site this year it’s about winning trophies and nothing else.  Potters teams seem to be the opposite of that about playing pretty but can’t get the results shown by his league position, wins and his low goal ratio compared to his xG.

I really like Potter but Smith is the much better manager.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That't an interesting point. I like Smith and I also like Potter. What is it that makes Smith the much better manager?

Potter plays pretty football but doesn’t deliver like those players that look great but no end product.  Potter has great potential and I like him but he has a lot to learn.  Smith is further on with his development, he learns and every six months we see development (not as quickly as some would like) but he learns, becoming better defensively, adapting tactically against top teams and digging out results.  There is so much more that I could go on about and yes Smith has flaws and things he needs to develop but I think on many fronts Smith is ahead of Potter on that journey to being an elite manager.

14 minutes ago, useless said:

Unless I'm completely missing something, Potter has shown nothing whatsoever in the English game to suggest he's a better manager than Smith, he finished 10th in the Championship with Swansea, Steve Cooper immediately improved them, and then in his last two seasons with Brighton they finished 15th and 16th with 41 points, hardly an improvement on their finishes under Hughton.

How can anyone even in their wildest dreams think that that makes him a a better manager than someone that won promotion from the championship when promotion looked impossible, then managed to keep that team in the Premier league having had to build an whole new squad, and then finished last season on 55 points, which is fourteen more points than Potter has managed in his two seasons with Brighton, and lets not pretend as some do that they're some sort of Brentford-esque club, they've spent hundreds of millions of pounds on their squad.

Thank you!!!

20 minutes ago, useless said:

Unless I'm completely missing something, Potter has shown nothing whatsoever in the English game to suggest he's a better manager than Smith, he finished 10th in the Championship with Swansea, Steve Cooper immediately improved them, and then in his last two seasons with Brighton they finished 15th and 16th with 41 points, hardly an improvement on their finishes under Hughton.

How can anyone even in their wildest dreams think that that makes him a a better manager than someone that won promotion from the championship when promotion looked impossible, then managed to keep that team in the Premier league having had to build an whole new squad, and then finished last season on 55 points, which is fourteen more points than Potter has managed in his two seasons with Brighton, and lets not pretend as some do that they're some sort of Brentford-esque club, they've spent hundreds of millions of pounds on their squad.

It’s not you the one that’s missing something, that’s for sure.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nick76 said:

Potter plays pretty football but doesn’t deliver like those players that look great but no end product.  Potter has great potential and I like him but he has a lot to learn.  Smith is further on with his development, he learns and every six months we see development (not as quickly as some would like) but he learns, becoming better defensively, adapting tactically against top teams and digging out results.  There is so much more that I could go on about and yes Smith has flaws and things he needs to develop but I think on many fronts Smith is ahead of Potter on that journey to being an elite manager.

I think that's pure bias towards Smith if I'm being honest. Saying he's a much better manager than Potter because Potter only won 9 games in the past 2 seasons, Smith only won 7 games in his first season with us in the Prem! 

And also the league positions, Brighton finished 15th and 16th, we finished 17th and 11th under Smith in the same seasons, so a couple of places below them and then a few places above them. You could say Potter took over a PL team, fine - but they weren't established. They nearly got relegated twice under Hughton.

Brighton also finished in those positions playing front foot football against every team (including Man City, Liverpool etc) and outplaying a lot of good teams in that time but maybe not getting the results. Whereas we have played with no consistent style in that time and have reverted to very direct, even long ball at times to get results. 

Smith has also spent a lot more. In the same period, Smith has spent £350m roughly (and also got £100m back for Grealish), Potter has spent roughly £100m in the same period so a lot less. That's why I think we're where I'd expect us to be as a minimum with the squad we have - whereas Brighton are above where I think they should be despite having some decent players. 

I would say as a coach and tactician Potter is the much better manager and that's why he's being linked with the top jobs. But I'll probably get a load of stick for saying that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AJ said:

Who hasn't?  After 7 or so attempts to find someone to sup from the poisoned chalice, they had to settle for Nuno. 

Fine but he was one of their top targets. 

I think Smith is somewhat underrated outside of Villa, but I find it amusing that many on here say he's one of the best British managers out there yet he's never linked to any top jobs. 

• Like 2

Just because Potter has been linked to bigger clubs by the clickbait media that doesn't mean to say that he was ever in serious contention for those jobs, if Spurs were serious about wanting him for example he'd be their manager now. Smith is already managing at a club bigger than any club that Potter is likely to manage.

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think that's pure bias towards Smith if I'm being honest. Saying he's a much better manager than Potter because Potter only won 9 games in the past 2 seasons, Smith only won 7 games in his first season with us in the Prem! 

And also the league positions, Brighton finished 15th and 16th, we finished 17th and 11th under Smith in the same seasons, so a couple of places below them and then a few places above them. You could say Potter took over a PL team, fine - but they weren't established. They nearly got relegated twice under Hughton.

Brighton also finished in those positions playing front foot football against every team (including Man City, Liverpool etc) and outplaying a lot of good teams in that time but maybe not getting the results. Whereas we have played with no consistent style in that time and have reverted to very direct, even long ball at times to get results. 

Smith has also spent a lot more. In the same period, Smith has spent £350m roughly (and also got £100m back for Grealish), Potter has spent roughly £100m in the same period so a lot less. That's why I think we're where I'd expect us to be as a minimum with the squad we have - whereas Brighton are above where I think they should be despite having some decent players. 

I would say as a coach and tactician Potter is the much better manager and that's why he's being linked with the top jobs. But I'll probably get a load of stick for saying that.

Potter is paying big wages though. Lallana is on 100k a week. He isnt some budget manager 

As for being linked its just that. If Potter gets another job then can compare. Eddie Howe a similar genius has been linked to every job in the league and is still unemployed. Why would Smith be linked to another job if he is already at his dream club 🤔

I think Smith is somewhat underrated outside of Villa, but I find it amusing that many on here say he's one of the best British managers out there yet he's never linked to any top jobs. 

He did get linked to a top job. He then applied and got the job. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

Could it be, and bear with me here people, that BOTH Dean Smith and Graham Potter are both very fine managers both doing very fine jobs?

Edited by sparrow1988

I don't think its right to gauge the quality of a manager by how many clubs they are linked with. 99% of links are generated by media, and most times, they are full of shit. 

One of the first questions a head hunter asks, are they obtainable? Maybe Smith was offered the Spurs job, and after he finished laughing, he told them to do one?

• Like 1

Â