Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We have completely surpassed established PL teams like Palace, Newcastle, Southampton and Brighton in just our first 2 seasons back. I didn't think we'd be able to compete with them for a good few years even, let alone be clear of them within 2. It's remarkable the progress we've made under Smith and NSWE, it can't be understated.

• Like 1

Bravo Dean for changing the dynamics against Spurs, sure we still have a way to go with our possession stats, which will help us even more with our defensive qualities and offensive qualities....but the teams pressing show, was a mighty change from the second half at Palace.

I would still like to see us bring in at least one player is who has a natural instinct for pressing, to add additional help to the likes of McGinn, who on this form, is a natural too.

I also think playing Hause, was instrumental in Mings having such a fine game....I thought you showed nous in your tactical approach, in this game.

Ps I thought Dean come out fighting in that post match interview, compared with the Palace jobbie......More of this Dean.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Bravo Dean for changing the dynamics against Spurs, sure we still have a way to go with our possession stats, which will help us even more with our defensive qualities and offensive qualities....but the teams pressing show, was a mighty change from the second half at Palace.

I would still like to see us bring in at least one player is who has a natural instinct for pressing, to add additional help to the likes of McGinn, who on this form, is a natural too.

I also think playing Hause, was instrumental in Mings having such a fine game....I thought you showed nous in your tactical approach, in this game.

Ps I thought Dean come out fighting in that post match interview, compared with the Palace jobbie......More of this Dean.

Monsieur Sanson will be a big player for us next season.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

We've got seventeen more points than last season, seventeen points is the total amount of points we finished with the season we went down.

That bit is undoubtedly impressive, no arguing with that.... we finished one place above my prediction, so no complaints on the final placing from me.

Ollie, Emi and Matt have been instrumental in that....shows how 3 prudent signings have helped make such a difference.....I hope we pursue quality after June 9th and continue with that level of player.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I hope so, certainly haven't forgotten or written him off.....it seems like Dean will have options next term.

32 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We have completely surpassed established PL teams like Palace, Newcastle, Southampton and Brighton in just our first 2 seasons back. I didn't think we'd be able to compete with them for a good few years even, let alone be clear of them within 2. It's remarkable the progress we've made under Smith and NSWE, it can't be understated.

Newcastle were only up a year longer than us. 

That being said, yes he’s done great and here’s to continued improvement 

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

That being said, yes he’s done great and here’s to continued improvement 

2 years with Rafa before we came up. We'll be a lot stronger financially with our 2 years under our belt than Barnsley or Swansea if they were to come up.

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Think Brighton as well, they got promoted same season did they not? Grealish goal denied Brighton the title in last match when we were down to 10 men

Newcastle and Brighton were promoted in the 2016/17 season which was our first season in the championship after relegation, we then spent a futher two seasons in the championship, the 2017/18 and 2018/19 seasons. Or in other words both Brighton and Newcastle had two seasons in the premier league before we were promoted.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Amazing how chilled out/uneventful this thread is after a win.

The Palace result provoked over 20 pages of debate/discussion before the end of Sunday, less than half a day.

About 24 hours after the Spurs game  - there’s been an additional 6 or so pages.

I’ve commented on this before. It’s not unique to VT, or Villa, or even football as a whole I suspect. Victory isn’t as interesting a topic as defeat is, it would seem.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The Palace result provoked over 20 pages of debate/discussion before the end of Sunday, less than half a day.

About 24 hours after the Spurs game  - there’s been an additional 6 or so pages.

I’ve commented on this before. It’s not unique to VT, or Villa, or even football as a whole I suspect. Victory isn’t as interesting a topic as defeat is, it would seem.

I guess there is only so many accolades that can be said in victory by posters to be fair, whereas defeat draws up more debate and provides more opinions and creates more pages.

The posters that have quashed any previous criticism of the coach are not out in defence as much either due to everyone being united in the same happy camp, which is how it should be in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I’ve heard you say this a few times now. I’m going to hold you to this, you know that right?! 😂

Edited by Delphinho123

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I guess there is only so many accolades that can be said in victory by posters to be fair, whereas defeat draws up more debate and provides more opinions and creates more pages.

The posters that have quashed any previous criticism of the coach are not out in defence as much either due to everyone being united in the same happy camp, which is how it should be in my opinion.

Yeah I know, people who will want to voice criticism will mean those who want to defend him will be vocal as well.

I do think there is something inherent in people being quicker to critique than praise. It acts as a release. Again, not a uniquely VT thing, or an Aston Villa thing in general. Much wider than that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I hope so, certainly haven't forgotten or written him off.....it seems like Dean will have options next term.

Re: your point about pressuring etc, Sanson is actually in the top 1% in Europe's top 5 leagues for pressures per 90 amongst midfielders. His defensive numbers are generally excellent from his time in France so I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly why he was brought in. Fingers crossed he'll be the better for his chance to settle in early and will hit the ground running next season.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Well there will be less as there will be less of a debate. 

I think we are all in agreement that smith deserves massive  credit for that win

Â