Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well there will be less as there will be less of a debate. 

I think we are all in agreement that smith deserves massive  credit for that win

If Villa lost 8-0 and played terrible, I think everyone would be in agreement that they were terrible and it was a terrible result.

Despite this universal agreement, I highly  doubt there would only be 6 pages made in this thread after this hypothetical result. Even if the Smith defence team had a day off.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If Villa lost 8-0 and played terrible, I think everyone would be in agreement that they were terrible.

Despite this universal agreement, I highly  doubt there would only be 6 pages made in this thread after this hypothetical result. Even if the Smith defence team had a day off.

The reason being there would be x aMount of posters critising smith and there would be x amount of posters defending him.

Thats the  nature of football forums. Although the reaction thread was quite popular this week

Just now, Demitri_C said:

The reason being there would be x aMount of posters critising smith and there would be x amount of posters defending him.

Thats the  nature of football forums. Although the reaction thread was quite popular this week

That’s why I said even if the defence team took the day off. If those typically pro Smith posters were on holiday and Villa had a huge defeat, this thread would still be going nuts despite their absence. 

It is the nature of the game, defeat causes more of a reaction than victory.

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Re: your point about pressuring etc, Sanson is actually in the top 1% in Europe's top 5 leagues for pressures per 90 amongst midfielders. His defensive numbers are generally excellent from his time in France so I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly why he was brought in. Fingers crossed he'll be the better for his chance to settle in early and will hit the ground running next season.

spacer.png

Despite the rollercoaster of this season 11th is a very creditable position given last season and he has earned his right to manage next season. He makes mistakes for sure and still has plenty to learn. The more established in PL we are and the better our squad is the more chance we have attracting a high quality manager if a change needs to be made.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve heard you say this a few times now. I’m going to hold you to this, you know that right?! 😂

The boy can play.

His weakness is he charges about too much. Which is a weakness I'll take.

Next season really feel like it is make it or break for the coaching staff and also keeping Grealish.

The next step would be challenging for those European places. Being in and around where Everton have been this season.

If we're not at least among the chasing pack it will be very difficult for this coaching staff to stay.

Next season is absolutely huge.

11th and 50+ points, plus countless other records is a successful season for Dean and the team. Despite the brilliant start, I'm not sure what more could have been expected this season, Leeds/West ham are the only sides to have finished ahead of us that we may have liked to overtake, we'll finish miles ahead of the rest including established sides like Wolves, Palace, Southampton and Newcastle.

The individual players have all mostly improved and the squad value must have most of the starting 11 in 30m+ values. The team is mostly exciting and enjoyable to watch. The team is likeable! together and the youngest side in the league.

All in, I expect us to overtake some more of the established sides next season and push on again. We might buy 3/4 starting quality players in the 30m+ bracket this summer and the current players will continue to improve.

I can understand game to game criticism, but overall Dean has done a phenomenal job and he himself is showing that he's also learning and improving too.

My favourite manager since Little, and there will be added expectation on Dean and the team again next season, but based on what we've seen so far I wouldn't bet against him succeeding again.

Edited by VillaJay
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Indigo said:

Re: your point about pressuring etc, Sanson is actually in the top 1% in Europe's top 5 leagues for pressures per 90 amongst midfielders. His defensive numbers are generally excellent from his time in France so I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly why he was brought in. Fingers crossed he'll be the better for his chance to settle in early and will hit the ground running next season.

Encouraging, fingers crossed.

I see nuno has announced he is leaving wolves after Sunday. Wasn't there some rumour he had been lined up for villa ?

Coincidence?

Im all for smith as he has done everything he set out to do so far.

Â