Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

@Jimzk5 posted this stat (apologies I can’t quote properly)

“Aston villa are winless in 52 away premier League games when conceding first. 47 defeats and 5 draws”

I assume that’s correct. 

The reason I’m raising this is because when it transpired Palace hadn’t won a match when trailing behind at halftime, it was “Well along come Dean Smith’s Aston Villa to rectify the situation...”

This is not meant as a dig at anyone who gets annoyed when Villa break other teams unwanted records. I don’t like it either.

This is to underline the fact that it is not just us that helps teams out with embarrassing records. I know it seems like it. But it’s not. There will be Spurs supporters now saying “See Villa’s abysmal record for turning around games away from home, well isn’t it nice of us to help them out...”

50+ points in the top flight, first time for years.

Enjoy your evening everyone. 

Made all the sweeter by the fact their fans were there to witness it. Booing the team after as well.. couldn't script it.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I'm so glad to be a supporter of this club now more than ever. And so thank you Dean, thank you.

The last decade was certainly one for the memory bank, in that we as supporters have seen how quickly momentum can gather and things go south rapidly.

I mean, I don't know how accurate these claims were, but I remember reading through many thorough discussion on us potentially folding as Xia rolled the dice.

I feel like we can focus again on the reason we are all here, what is at the heart of what brings in tens of thousands into the gates each week, and that is footballing skill.

When I look back and think about what caused this ship to turn around, it was essentially the appointment of Dean Smith.

As we grow into this current stage of Villa's history and identity, being a team that can win any fixture, epitomised by our defeating Liverpool 7-2, I'm in awe of how good Dean is.

His achievements to date for the most part go underrated and underappreciated, as Villa "should be" fighting for a place in the higher echelons of English football, many have said.

Some people think that form is temporary and class in permanent, well I think we are testimony to why that's some uppity self entitled nonsense. 

Poor decision making and leadership who do not care or invest in the people they are meant to be charged with making decisions on the behalf of, leads to poverty in some form.

I can safely say there's not another man I want in the role Dean occupies while he continues to steer us in the direction of concentrated and focused football development.

In a time where some supporters care more about their $50 bet paying off than they do their football team having success that week, it's nice to be supporting Villa.

Great Job Reaction GIF

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Clapping Applause GIF

Clapping Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Another thing that has flown under the radar a little, although it has been mentioned more recently, is the fact that we have the youngest squad in the PL. 

When you think of the squad that got promoted, which was full of players that were at the end of their careers, it’s remarkable that we have made this progress and built, not only a much better team but also a much younger team. This is great news for the future and huge credit should go to everyone involved, including of course Dean. 

Most of the players we’ve brought in have increased in value. We had virtually nobody, except Jack and SJM, that was worth anything in monetary value when we won the playoff final. 

A remarkable turnaround both on and off the pitch. And I get the feeling that we’re only just starting. 

Ran out of likes but also an excellent and very accurate message.

UTV

1 hour ago, VillaJay said:

Potentially 3 villa players going to a major tournament with England. Has that ever happened before? Credit to Dean, he's improved most of the players and the squad value must be fairly significant now too.

3 went in 2010

Do you know what stuck out for me in the spurs game?

It was doing something I and others have been calling on for some weeks now. Yes that's correct we were winning spurs only by 2-1, it took a heck of a gamble and some guts despite nothing to play for to bring some Youth on and risk it for a biscuit. Bringing the Youth in paid off, they were flipping ace and it was a sight to see them holding spurs off the last twenty minutes without Grealish as well.

If that's not impressive then I do not know what is.

I hope Smith now digs deep into his players available and unleashes Chuk, Bidace, Young, Barry, Ramsey, Revan next season. They can all and should do get some first team minutes and rotation could be key to maintaining a fit and healthy squad and limiting inurys next season. You use those Lads right and they will love it, not to mention it freshens up first teamers. There is even the whole use of Youth that it allows us to spend the money given and blow the load on a couple of players and concentrate on real quality.

Yes it wasn't just that Smith for it right today with the players but he actually tried things along the way and it worked. It was the guts and courage when the game could of been lost that stuck out. Also the changes made which I think is a heck of an accomplishment for not only Smith and Co but how the players he used showed up and didn't dissapoint, they showed class and maturity to see if a spurs team that on any given day can bring a game back and win it within no time at all really.

I was well impressed.

• Like 1

I thought we played well yesterday but I also thought Spurs were awful at the back. They looked lost. 

It’s why I don’t get over excited after every win or good performance the same way I don’t think it’s the end of the world and think Smith is out of his debt every time we lose a game.   Football is never as simple as the manager got it right or wrong for each game. 

I’m delighted with the overall progress this season. Well done Smith and co.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought we played well yesterday but I also thought Spurs were awful at the back. They looked lost. 

It’s why I don’t get over excited after every win or good performance the same way I don’t think it’s the end of the world and think Smith is out of his debt every time we lose a game.   Football is never as simple as the manager got it right or wrong for each game. 

I’m delighted with the overall progress this season. Well done Smith and co.

I dont want to take away the win from smith as that was a impressive win whether spurs were poor at the back or not.

Smith got it spot on. Keeping kane and son quiet is so easy feat and smith managed to do that.

Well done deano 👏

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont want to take away the win from smith as that was a impressive win whether spurs were poor at the back or not.

Smith got it spot on. Keeping kane and son quiet is so easy feat and smith managed to do that.

Well done deano 👏

Aye. Spurs may not have been at their best - but they had no reason not to be. Their European dreams now hinge on a result vs Leicester!

I suspect the reason they looked lost in defense was because of the press and movement of Ollie and company.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You ran faster than Usain Bolt to get here to post that didn't you.

Well done you.

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure you understand how the Internet works.

Usain Bolt does though

Virgin Media's Usain Bolt online ads banned – Marketing Week

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well done deano 👏

That is exactly my point mate. Smith can only coach the players so much. They are the ones that have to go out there and play well while executing the plan. Sometimes they won’t do what’s expected of them and we lose.   Does that become Smiths fault? 

I think fans think that coach’s influence each individual game and how a player plays far more than they really do.  Just my opinion. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

World Cup 94, Ireland took a quartet of Villa players 

Townsend, Houghton, Staunton and God

The reason that I support Villa.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That is exactly my point mate. Smith can only coach the players so much. They are the ones that have to go out there and play well while executing the plan. Sometimes they won’t do what’s expected of them and we lose.   Does that become Smiths fault? 

I think fans think that coach’s influence each individual game and how a player plays far more than they really do.  Just my opinion. 

Depends how we are set up.

I still think there are elements that are smiths responsibilities like the awful corners (note they have been better since barkleys been taken off!)

But generally the play yesterday was good and smith deserves credit for the setup it was a master class

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Only our 2nd season in the PL,

starting with a squad that was almost assembled from scratch (no other team in this league has had the same experience). 

To finish in this position, when we just about survived the previous season… it is some achievement. 

spacer.png

And without the disruptions, we would have finished even higher. Yes, I/we wanted better after our amazing start: destroying Liverpool, embarrassing Arsenal, looking competitive against every side…. but that was dreamland stuff at times and so it massively raised our expectations. No one could have expected or anticipated anything like that ahead of time…

Stepping back and looking at it in perspective… we have had an excellent season. Many of these sides have been established in this league for years, and had a headstart on us in many ways, we have not once looked out of place.

I’m so excited to see how we strengthen, perform and progress next season. At this rate of success/achievement (season by season), who knows where we can go?

Made even more impressive by the fact that only NEXT season will we be able to compete with 75% of the league on wages. What we've done the last two years has been achieved punching above our weight. It's Smith and his team getting the players to do that but it's been down to the off field revolution in the club too, Smith consults with a group for the recruitment which when you look at the increase in value alone has been outstanding. There's more happening off the field though, this summer will be huge and if we can give Smith, O'Kelly, Shakespeare and Terry a competitive squad then we will see another big improvement. 

Been so depressing reading all the doom merchants and the anti Smith stuff. I really can't see why criticising bad performances has to go as far as that. It's fine to say we were set up wrong, x and y were poor etc etc but some people on here calling Smith a poor coach and worse really don't get it. This is just the start and it's going to be **** awesome.

• Like 4

Â