Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

I can tell you not to spout crap, but when you spout crap does that mean I am responsible?

If you we were my employer or manager then Yes. 

The head coach over a period time influences performances on the pitch. That's why he is there. 

He puts systems in place to minimise individual errors - if they keep happening something is wrong.

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I have given Dean some stick recently but the performance levels in the last 3 games has been decent. We could easily have picked up 7 points from those games, in fact we deserved to. I am never concerned by results when the performance is good. We need to sustain it now until the season end. Ollie is a big loss for our next match after a truly bizarre decision from the ref.

Yep, they're still really fighting to finish top 10 which is brilliant to see considering we looked in beach mode about a month ago.

Everton will be harder to win without Ollie but our other attacking players gave them issues so I still see that as winnable and fancy us to grind out a 0-1 at Palace so think we can win two of our last 4. Chelsea will surely rest players v us on final day and they'll be in top 4 so that could also become potentially winnable with 10k also in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

If you we were my employer or manager then Yes. 

The head coach over a period time influences performances on the pitch. That's why he is there. 

He puts systems in place to minimise individual errors - if they keep happening something is wrong.

what system does he need to put in place to stop Luiz from making stupid fouls?

Dean: Hey Doug stop making stupid fouls
Luiz: Yes boss

You're telling me you can coach that out of players? At what point do you realise that the players just aren't capable of doing the things you try and coach into or out of them?

Is Pep a sh*t manager because Aguero completely fluffed a comedy penalty?

• Like 3

Just now, VillanousOne said:

what system does he need to put in place to stop Luiz from making stupid fouls?

Dean: Hey Doug stop making stupid fouls
Luiz: Yes boss

You're telling me you can coach that out of players? At what point do you realise that the players just aren't capable of doing the things you try and coach into or out of them?

Is Pep a sh*t manager because Aguero completely fluffed a comedy penalty?

Just to clarify.

I'm not calling for Smith to be sacked - he's got credit in the bank.

If a player makes a rare slip that costs a goal as a one off then no you don't blame the manager.

However if such things keep happening then it indicates something isn't right. The head coach can't shrug his shoulders and consistently say "individual errors - not me guv" 

If the players keep making individual errors the head coach is accountable and will be brought to book. Fair or unfair that's how it is. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Just to clarify.

I'm not calling for Smith to be sacked - he's got credit in the bank.

If a player makes a rare slip that costs a goal as a one off then no you don't blame the manager.

However if such things keep happening then it indicates something isn't right. The head coach can't shrug his shoulders and consistently say "individual errors - not me guv" 

If the players keep making individual errors the head coach is accountable and will be brought to book. Fair or unfair that's how it is. 

fair enough, but not sure we make individual errors every game, although we do seem to bottle it against the big boys, so agree it is down to Dean to try and get us grind out 1:0 wins, although I think the divide in quality is the bigger problem. We have a good 11 or 13 players, then the quality drops massively compared Manure, Cityeh, even Everton or Spurs.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's clear contact. 

In the modern game that is a foul. It's soft but it's a pen. 

Really stupid from Luiz. Do not give Pogba the opportunity to go down 

I'm sure the rest of the players must have been telling Luiz to just stay with him. I can't believe how impulsive he is.

20 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

fair enough, but not sure we make individual errors every game, although we do seem to bottle it against the big boys, so agree it is down to Dean to try and get us grind out 1:0 wins, although I think the divide in quality is the bigger problem. We have a good 11 or 13 players, then the quality drops massively compared Manure, Cityeh, even Everton or Spurs.

I wasn't talking about today or DS  particularly. No disgrace in loosing to Man U. Our form since the turn of the year concerns me for next season though.

UTV.

Edited by hippo

I would guess that deanos conversation with Luiz will not go along the same lines 

Its a lot like grealish who I obviously defend for doing it, I know he's going to go down, you know it, Smith knows it, all the players know it... So don't be so **** stupid to do it... Blame is firmly on Luiz not pogba, it's not the same as the previous 2 (which I'm glad Smith referenced because they were shit, the one last season was a disgrace) 

15 hours ago, Farlz said:

I'm genuinely starting to wonder if I'll ever see us beat United at home.

If they haven't already blown us away you can bet we'll find a way to do something stupid and give them the win. Every year without fail. 

Oh well, like I said in the reaction thread, I knew this was going to happen so there's no point being disappointed over it all. My biggest disappointment is no Watkins and we're gonna have to see Davis or Wesley upfront against Everton bloody hell... 

Agree our record against United is terrible. We always capitulate against them. Must be a mental problem. Really annoying if anything. Don’t think anyone ever felt like we would hold on when we scored early. It’s just a given now that we throw it away against them.

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Plan B! 

Ollie out left and a couple of big centre forwards. It's not complicated, but we changed it up and it looked like we carried a threat.

Good.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I think he may have been trying Wes in a 2nd striker/No.10 role as he looked 10 yards deeper than KD. At least Dean is exploring other options/systems now and we definitelt looked more threatening after those changes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eholm said:

Maybe I'm mistaken but I think he may have been trying Wes in a 2nd striker/No.10 role as he looked 10 yards deeper than KD. At least Dean is exploring other options/systems now and we definitelt looked more threatening after those changes

It looked that way - but I remember Wes played deep anyway even when he was striker in a 4-3-3 formation. It may still work - but I feel he'd have to get back a little deeper to link with McGinn and Ramsey.

Edited by ozvillafan

1 minute ago, ozvillafan said:

It looked that way - but I remember Wes played deep anyway even when he was striker in a 4-3-3 formation. It may still work - but I feel he'd have to get back a little deeper to link with McGinn and Ramsey.

Yep, good call. Dont want to stray into Wes' thread but the lad needs a big pre-season to convince DS imo as he is a totally different player to Ollie for our system.

• Like 1

Â