Dean Smith

Demitri_C

45 minutes ago, eholm said:

Maybe I'm mistaken but I think he may have been trying Wes in a 2nd striker/No.10 role as he looked 10 yards deeper than KD. At least Dean is exploring other options/systems now and we definitelt looked more threatening after those changes

Im very impressed you could tell. Don't think Wes touched the ball that much tbh.

• Haha 1

Are there any videos of Greenwood's handball? I'm pretty sure Sevilla got a penalty against Madrid last night for basically exactly the same thing. Off topic, but the glorious thing about the Sevilla goal is after the handball play didn't stop, Madrid went down the other end and Benzema (I think) was taken down by the keeper and the ref gave Madrid a clear penalty. The Madrid fans were very happy, basking in their sense of entitlement, but VAR checked everything the ref changed his decision and gave Sevilla their penalty instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Is there a site that shows our first half stats against Manchester United?

I wouldn't mind if they beat us comfortably but its always taking the lead and losing that pisses me off

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I wouldn't mind if they beat us comfortably but its always taking the lead and losing that pisses me off

It follows a farcical pattern. GOAL Villa, Huff and Puff Utd, Villa continue to still offer threat, Dodgy Pen, Fernandes hop, Villa Capitulate, GOAL Utd, bity end to game with foul given every 1/2 min.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Makes it doubly infuriating that while we shot ourselves in the foot on several occasions, we may have still gotten something from the game had it not been for blatant refereeing corruption.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I might be late, but the " shocking " new Football Insider story claims Nuno is coming in to replace him. Close the thread!

So many reasons why that wouldn't happen.

I also think we are going for a coaching team approach - so if/when Smith does move on, I don't think it be a high profile big name replacement. It will be someone who can slot into that team.

59 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I might be late, but the " shocking " new Football Insider story claims Nuno is coming in to replace him. Close the thread!

Ahahahahahaha. What a joke site

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolta said:

Are there any videos of Greenwood's handball? I'm pretty sure Sevilla got a penalty against Madrid last night for basically exactly the same thing. Off topic, but the glorious thing about the Sevilla goal is after the handball play didn't stop, Madrid went down the other end and Benzema (I think) was taken down by the keeper and the ref gave Madrid a clear penalty. The Madrid fans were very happy, basking in their sense of entitlement, but VAR checked everything the ref changed his decision and gave Sevilla their penalty instead.

There's no difference to one given v us against Man. City when Cash handled it, exactly same motion from similar distance.

IMO we should've fouled one of them or just kicked the ball out and surrounded the ref as then I reckon he'd have gone to the monitor under pressure and looked at it, really didn't help the play seemingly going on for about 3 minutes without ball being kicked out as it's easier for them to just dismiss calls like that because of passage of time.

No idea why DS didn't make that the big thing in his post match press conference rather than going on about Pogba which was obvious penalty as indicated by all our other players looking aghast at Doug right after it was awarded.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

There's no difference to one given v us against Man. City when Cash handled it, exactly same motion from similar distance.

IMO we should've fouled one of them or just kicked the ball out and surrounded the ref as then I reckon he'd have gone to the monitor under pressure and looked at it, really didn't help the play seemingly going on for about 3 minutes without ball being kicked out as it's easier for them to just dismiss calls like that because of passage of time.

No idea why DS didn't make that the big thing in his post match press conference rather than going on about Pogba which was obvious penalty as indicated by all our other players looking aghast at Doug right after it was awarded.

I think he might have done it, or at least I wouldve more talked about the Pogba incident because that will get more traction in the media than our incident.  It's a common discussion how easily and often Man Utd get soft penalty decisions over and over again.  Behind the scenes Smith with officials and the authorities Smith will be talking about the Ollie incident.  As we have seen on this forum, some thought he dived anyway so the general media and public wont give a damn about little Villa.  Whereas controversy over the number of soft penalties Man U get might.  Who knows, maybe Smith was just peeved at that because it changed the game and a 6ft 4 midfielder going down so easily was his choice but my 7 year old nephew wouldnt have gone down so easy.  Silly mistake by Luiz obviously but it wasnt the hardest challenge and if it was in the other penalty box for us, I'm not convinced we would've got that decision, are you?  It turned the game and we lost our way and then it was game over.

I thought it was clear penalty tbh. Doug does really well to get goal side and push Pogba back towards outside the box but he's nibbling and it's just not worth the risk. IMO penalty Barkley got v West Brom was far softer (as was the one they got 10 minutes later).

Him being hooked 10 minutes later when his general play wasn't that bad said it all.

One thing though on DS...he very rarely if ever hangs players out to dry in the press, was same at Walsall and Brentford I guess so that's one reason he's risen pretty quickly from league 1 to premier league management. I imagine he had a few choice words for Doug in the dressing room and hopefully he'll learn from it for next season.

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I thought it was clear penalty tbh. Doug does really well to get goal side and push Pogba back towards outside the box but he's nibbling and it's just not worth the risk.

Clear as in, Dougie nibbled at him, Pogba took that contact and dropped like a bag of spuds.  Yes a penalty I agree, Pogba took full advantage of Luiz silliness.  Pogba didn’t need to go down but in the modern age you take that contact and perform for the ref to get the penalty.  It’s taking the contact nature out of contact sport which is sad but are the rules I just wish the rules were consistently applied which we know they aren’t.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Clear as in, Dougie nibbled at him, Pogba took that contact and dropped like a bag of spuds.  Yes a penalty I agree, Pogba took full advantage of Luiz silliness.  Pogba didn’t need to go down but in the modern age you take that contact and perform for the ref to get the penalty.  It’s taking the contact nature out of contact sport which is sad but are the rules I just wish the rules were consistently applied which we know they aren’t.

I agree on the last part. With penalties in Man. United games it seems every reason is looked at and scrutinised to last degree as to why they should get one and complete opposite for the other team as to why the penalty shouldn't be given e.g. Greenwood which was a clear handball in area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

What pogba did yesterday is something that Jack grealish is absolutely world class at

Line of the ball, he put his body across it, Luiz cannot win that ball without fouling him, it's impossible, he knows exactly what he's doing and what will happen, he completely outsmarted him

Grealish does that to the best players in the league, every game 

No complaints about their penalty from me 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What pogba did yesterday is something that Jack grealish is absolutely world class at

Line of the ball, he put his body across it, Luiz cannot win that ball without fouling him, it's impossible, he knows exactly what he's doing and what will happen, he completely outsmarted him

Grealish does that to the best players in the league, every game 

No complaints about their penalty from me 

Yeah totally agree it was a penalty.  

Would it have been a penalty 10 years ago? Maybe but less likely.

Would it have been a penalty 20 years ago? Unlikely but once in a blue moon

Would it have been a penalty 30 years ago? No

Football has improved in many ways and poorer in other ways.  This was definitely a penalty by modern day football and rules, just wonder is that a good thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Football has improved in many ways and poorer in other ways.  This was definitely a penalty by modern day football and rules, just wonder is that a good thing.

Would it have been a penalty for us against United? Highly doubtful.

But no real issue from me with the call.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Would it have been a penalty for us against United? Highly doubtful.

But no real issue from me with the call.

You’ve just blown my mind there! I understand your point but no real issue when they are likely to get it but we are highly doubtful? How can you then say, no real issue?

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

In English football no, we have our crash bang wallop 100mph nature of the PL but its dying out for various reasons, not just defending 

But when you talk about the clichés of old Italian defenders and how good they were then this is what I always considered it to be what you are talking about, stepping across the line of the ball and making it theirs, it's not traditionally an English thing, don't play the man or look to out strength them or shoulder barge them, just make the ball yours

I dont think it's a bad thing as its better more intelligent football, we just haven't found the balance with gamesmanship and it being a bit soft yet 

Just now, nick76 said:

You’ve just blown my mind there! I understand your point but no real issue when they are likely to get it but we are highly doubtful? How can you then say, no real issue?

Well firstly because I'm used to it, it's how it works and always has. In football and in everything else, big eats small.

And I think the call was correct so no issue there. Had we been denied a pen in that situation I would have had issues with it, but that's a hypothetical situation. I have issue with the red card for Watkins and the hand ball on Greenwood.

• Like 1

Â