Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Thought we played a fairly good game against a team with superior players and bench. 

We pressed their CM's Fred and McTominay really well (apart from Barkley of course) which caused them a lot of trouble. Ended as it always does against Ref United but no huge complaints against the team for me.

Silly mistakes and about ten 50/50 situations that went against us decided the game. They were the better side but not by a huge margin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Plan B! 

Ollie out left and a couple of big centre forwards. It's not complicated, but we changed it up and it looked like we carried a threat.

Good.

I reckon Davis is very capable of playing the lone striker role.

I have a suspicion Deano will keep the same shape, just with Davis in for Ollie.

If Davis cane be anywhere near as Active as Ollie, his strength will help with the rest.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You can disagree, but you'd still be wrong.

You can't claim the team switched off and criticise the manager for it, based on one tackle by Luiz. 

If you want to argue Luiz switched off, maybe, however I still don't think deciding to lunge in means he's switched off. 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I have a suspicion Deano will keep the same shape, just with Davis in for Ollie.

If Davis cane be anywhere near as Active as Ollie, his strength will help with the rest.

I'd like to see Wes and Davis in the next game. I'd imagine though that Barkley's performance against Everton will keep him in for the return. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

My big concern about Smith has always been how we play without Jack and in fairness, in the past two games we've shown we can play quite well without him. Don't think you can put too much of today on him. As others have said, combination of silly individual errors and refereeing corruption cost us.

Sorry no more likes, this is bang on. What can the man, the club do against that today. 

I think Deano needs to get rid of the shackles and try a few different things for the last few games. He might stumble on to something. I watched the last 15/20 and I can confidently say we looked the better side and caused lots of problems.

Play Chuekwema let's see what he can do at this level even if it's 15-20 minutes. Get Kaine Kesler out there for some minutes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think Deano needs to get rid of the shackles and try a few different things for the last few games.

Play Chuekwema let's see what he can do at this level even if it's 15-20 minutes. Get Kaine Kesler out there for some minutes.

Yep i agree. We are stuck in midtable  lets see what kes and chuk can do

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep i agree. We are stuck in midtable  lets see what kes and chuk can do

Wouldn't mind seeing Brad Young do his world famous turns on the edge of the box too. Lol.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

You can't blame Dean for what happened I thought overall we played well, just individual errors and the ref cost us.

The substitutions nearly paid off.

Why is he there then ?

If he isn't responsible for what the players produce on the pitch - what's his Job ?

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Wes came in for Ollie.

26 minutes ago, Mantis said:

My big concern about Smith has always been how we play without Jack and in fairness, in the past two games we've shown we can play quite well without him. Don't think you can put too much of today on him. As others have said, combination of silly individual errors and refereeing corruption cost us.

Agree with this. 

29 minutes ago, sne said:

Thought we played a fairly good game against a team with superior players and bench. 

We pressed their CM's Fred and McTominay really well (apart from Barkley of course) which caused them a lot of trouble. Ended as it always does against Ref United but no huge complaints against the team for me.

Silly mistakes and about ten 50/50 situations that went against us decided the game. They were the better side but not by a huge margin.

Yep same for me, they just upped the tempo from half time and as has been the pattern in last 20 years we couldn't cope. Perhaps DS could've just put on Nakamba at half time but we'd have just been still sitting back for majority of half with one less attacking minded player on.

No coach can really legislate for Luiz making a really stupid decision like that. Think DS taking him off 10 minutes later said it all on that one.

Then we ended up with three strikers and Traore roaming around with the full backs bombing on and had a decent 10 minute spell so again I'd like to see that as more of a plan B next season than just putting on a wide player for another and keeping the same shape in games we're losing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Wes came in for Ollie.

Wes hasn't played enough minutes, I agree if he had another five games he'd be starting ahead of Davis.

Loads said when Traore signed he could play as CF if needed and he scored a good one today so wouldn't shock me if we went false 9 either but that needs Jack fit and ready to start which is still pretty doubtful.

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Why is he there then ?

If he isn't responsible for what the players produce on the pitch - what's his Job ?

I can tell you not to spout crap, but when you spout crap does that mean I am responsible?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wes hasn't played enough minutes, I agree if he had another five games he'd be starting ahead of Davis.

Loads said when Traore signed he could play as CF if needed and he scored a good one today so wouldn't shock me if we went false 9 either but that needs Jack fit and ready to start which is still pretty doubtful.

Not saying I would choose Wes. (I would play Davis) - but it wouldn't surprise me if Wesley got the nod.

Â