Dean Smith

Demitri_C

35 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Martin O Neill the Villa myth lives on.

At the time I thought he was great now with the evidence of hindsight he was lucky to be still in a job after his “three straight top six finishes”! Villa fans of the last 10 years are far to impressed with this stat.

O Neill had inherited a good squad and was given unprecedented backing.

He failed.

Smith will not leave a legacy of failure behind him.

the competition was much easier back then people forget. back in 2009 city and spurs were still shit (fulham finshed above the pair of them), and leicester were still in the championship. there was nowhere near the money floating about but we had some...plenty of it...and bought shit. it's no wonder lerner wouldn't let MON have any more of it cause he would've just bought more dross. we should have broken into that top 4 with the resources we had, no question.

MON was a failure and left us worse off

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the competition was much easier back then people forget. back in 2009 city and spurs were still shit (fulham finshed above the pair of them), and leicester were still in the championship. there was nowhere near the money floating about but we had some...plenty of it...and bought shit. it's no wonder lerner wouldn't let MON have any more of it cause he would've just bought more dross. we should have broken into that top 4 with the resources we had, no question.

Liverpool were declining as well and Everton were finishing over us with a much smaller budget

On 04/05/2021 at 20:12, Vive_La_Villa said:

Rebuilds are a lot easier when you inherit the following players :

Sorensen, Barry, Laurson, Bouma, Mellberg,  Cahill,  Milner (loan) Davis, Gabby, Baros, Philips, Angel

When we got promoted Smith had Grealish and Mcginn. He had to sign a whole squad to keep us up. 

I’d still take in their prime Barry, Laurson, Olaf, and Milner over our current squad. And Gabby and Angel for our bench. Smith has done a good job with the players he has.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I’d still take in their prime Barry, Laurson, Olaf, and Milner over our current squad. And Gabby and Angel for our bench. Smith has done a good job with the players he has.

His name is Laursen

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

Couldn’t agree more about MON piss poor players on huge money ran us into the ground and blew a comfortable 4th place finish. Comparing him to what smith and his team have done is a pointless comparison in my opinion. Smith has taken a championship shambles to mid table premier league in 28 months. 

• Like 2

I'm not one for knocking MON's achievements at Villa. The way he left was bad thats it. The season before he took over we finished 16th on 42 points. yes he had money to spend but so has Smith and he achieved regular top 6 finishes. Lets wait and see with Smith. Next  season is a big one.  

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

I’m excited to see what Smith can do with this team with another transfer window and another year’s experience. I’m predicting that he’ll having us playing like peak Brentford but with PL quality players and a tighter defence. It will take more time for him to get everything aligned but we know the kind of football he’s capable of producing. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah I agree. Football fans who flaunt their “high standards” are prats.

We as fans have almost nothing to do with the performance... you’re taking pride in someone else’s hard work and talent, so don’t give it the biggun about your exacting standards while you sit there in your elasticated pants.

The one small bit of influence we have is to not be complete words removed to our own players when they need support from the stands or on social media.

I gave that a like particularly for the “elasticated pants” part. Now I have an image to focus on when I read posts from certain people. I think that may be helpful in keeping me calm at times. I may even adapt them to “elasticated rubber pants” to really enforce the image, if that’s ok with you @KentVillan?

• Haha 2

Why are people attempting to downplay MON achievement? 

3 sixth place finishes in a row is an unbelievable achievement. No one can take that away from him. 

Absolutely loved those times. 

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Why are people attempting to downplay MON achievement? 

3 sixth place finishes in a row is an unbelievable achievement. No one can take that away from him. 

Absolutely loved those times. 

We were so badly managed through that period, at all levels of the club. MON had pretty much free reign to do what he wanted. He was awful in the transfer market. He spent massive fees and gave huge wages to bang average players with no sell on value ( there were a few exceptions). Lerner/ Faulkner had not got a clue how to run a football club and as a result let him get away with it. MON then left us on the verge of a new season with a squad past their best.

That period led directly to our subsequent downfall. MON will always be remembered by me as an arrogant, wasteful individual who was more concerned by his own ego than the welfare of our magnificent club. I was a season ticket holder through the whole of that period and it’s the only time I have ever left the match before full time. Some of the football was sterile and turgid.

That was also our best opportunity to break the top 4. I have no doubt that given the same set of circumstances Deano would have got us playing Champions League football. Our whole management structure is now light years ahead of those days. I have been harsh on Dean at times but thinking back to those days is a good perspective gauge.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We were so badly managed through that period, at all levels of the club. MON had pretty much free reign to do what he wanted. He was awful in the transfer market. He spent massive fees and gave huge wages to bang average players with no sell on value ( there were a few exceptions). Lerner/ Faulkner had not got a clue how to run a football club and as a result let him get away with it. MON then left us on the verge of a new season with a squad past their best.

That period led directly to our subsequent downfall. MON will always be remembered by me as an arrogant, wasteful individual who was more concerned by his own ego than the welfare of our magnificent club. I was a season ticket holder through the whole of that period and it’s the only time I have ever left the match before full time. Some of the football was sterile and turgid.

That was also our best opportunity to break the top 4. I have no doubt that given the same set of circumstances Deano would have got us playing Champions League football. Our whole management structure is now light years ahead of those days. I have been harsh on Dean at times but thinking back to those days is a good perspective gauge.

The squad was somewhat overrated. 

We had capable players at that level much like we have now. But we really didn't have any world beaters except for maybe Ash 

When I think about it I would actually say our current squad is stronger. 

What MON did was getting the most out of his players. We were very consistent for the most part except our players burning out the last 10 games. 

Smith is way too streaky and cannot seem to find consistency. 

Edited by villalad21

Â