Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Wasn't MON the manager that had us collapse every single March?

Yes. Yes he was.

Don't let that get in the way of a good trolling.

14 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We were so badly managed through that period, at all levels of the club. MON had pretty much free reign to do what he wanted. He was awful in the transfer market. He spent massive fees and gave huge wages to bang average players with no sell on value ( there were a few exceptions). Lerner/ Faulkner had not got a clue how to run a football club and as a result let him get away with it. MON then left us on the verge of a new season with a squad past their best.

That period led directly to our subsequent downfall. MON will always be remembered by me as an arrogant, wasteful individual who was more concerned by his own ego than the welfare of our magnificent club. I was a season ticket holder through the whole of that period and it’s the only time I have ever left the match before full time. Some of the football was sterile and turgid.

That was also our best opportunity to break the top 4. I have no doubt that given the same set of circumstances Deano would have got us playing Champions League football. Our whole management structure is now light years ahead of those days. I have been harsh on Dean at times but thinking back to those days is a good perspective gauge.

You only have to look at the money city and spurs spent to know taking us from 16th to champions league football within 4 years was an incredibly difficult task. I never get why people talk about MON like it was easy. 

He made some questionable signings but those signings also got us up there consistently. We didn't have a lot of resale value with all of them but then his job was to get us in there not make a profit on sales. 

Baros for Carew, spotting the potential Young had and turning Dunne into one of the best cbs in the league were all fantastic business moves. 

And how anyone can blame MON for our downfall, after actually seeing what Lerner was those years after, is beyond me. 

If Dean Smith was offered Cavani and Falcoa I'd bet he wouldn't have turned them down and bought Heskey instead. I don't think Dean Smith would have thrown Nicky Shorey under a bus for making 1 mistake (tried heading the ball with his arse if I remember). He wouldn't have stockpiled players and never used them.

And Dean Smith wouldn't leave us a day before the season begins. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The squad was somewhat overrated. 

We had capable players at that level much like we have now. But we really didn't have any world beaters except for maybe Ash 

When I think about it I would actually say our current squad is stronger. 

What MON did was getting the most out of his players. We were very consistent for the most part except our players burning out the last 10 games. 

Smith is way too streaky and cannot seem to find consistency. 

We was a "smash & Grab" team that did better away from home, than at home.....I think Young, Agbonlahor and Carew, was the cutting edge of that team.....We had some magical moments and scored some great goals, but possession wasn't our forte.

He did well to get 6-6-6 but I didn't care for the style of football at home.....I think MON showed his true colours in the end, he signed some dross, for decent money too.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2021 at 15:48, VillaChris said:

Yeah Carl's a big Villa fan, saw him in the lower Witton concourse once coming into the ground. Think his Dad Buck Chinn was part of Villa shareholders association and was in the press a fair bit in the Ellis out days.

Buck Chinn was also a bookmaker. He had a shop in Sparkbrook. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

We was a "smash & Grab" team that did better away from home, than at home.....I think Young, Agbonlahor and Carew, was the cutting edge of that team.....We had some magical moments and scored some great goals, but possession wasn't our forte.

He did well to get 6-6-6 but I didn't care for the style of football at home.....I think MON showed his true colours in the end, he signed some dross, for decent money too.

I am a results man.

Fact is we were a top 6 side under him challenging for top 4. Nobody can take that away from him.

All i want is getting back there again. How we get there is not the important thing.

One could argue West Ham is doing it without being beautiful on the eye. Don't think a lot of West Ham fans are crying over having a limited style of play.

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

We were so badly managed through that period, at all levels of the club. MON had pretty much free reign to do what he wanted. He was awful in the transfer market. He spent massive fees and gave huge wages to bang average players with no sell on value ( there were a few exceptions). Lerner/ Faulkner had not got a clue how to run a football club and as a result let him get away with it. MON then left us on the verge of a new season with a squad past their best.

That period led directly to our subsequent downfall. MON will always be remembered by me as an arrogant, wasteful individual who was more concerned by his own ego than the welfare of our magnificent club. I was a season ticket holder through the whole of that period and it’s the only time I have ever left the match before full time. Some of the football was sterile and turgid.

That was also our best opportunity to break the top 4. I have no doubt that given the same set of circumstances Deano would have got us playing Champions League football. Our whole management structure is now light years ahead of those days. I have been harsh on Dean at times but thinking back to those days is a good perspective gauge.

its quite a paradox ,to say, I give up my season ticket watching his football, because I am a results first man.....but as you say it was turgid at times, aside from the magical goals.

His address to the fans in the Holte suite, after the debacle in Russia, summed him up......where he apologised to the fans for the team he put out and then followed up by saying " but I will never apologise like this again"

He was insincere, never to be compared with Dean Smith as a man.

The way he left was despicable, it will be his legacy with us......I was glad to see him go, (even though glad when he come), despite a lengthy decline after, which I still think he was partly responsible for.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I am a results man.

Fact is we were a top 6 side under him challenging for top 4. Nobody can take that away from him.

All i want is getting back there again. How we get there is not the important thing.

One could argue West Ham is doing it without being beautiful on the eye. Don't think a lot of West Ham fans are crying over having a limited style of play.

West Ham supporters once booed the team after winning a match. 

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I am a results man.

I am a results man first, but I like to see good football played too.....its what makes the results, believeable and credible. I think West Ham play well, but you have to appreciate the darker arts too, to say that.

I think our whole club, is run better now, from the academy to Womens football, the training ground to the administration and Data research.

I think there is far more about Dean Smith, I can connect with.......Martin O'neill was a self indulgent, narcissist, who never quite lived up to his idol, Brian Clough and it became an albatross around his neck.....He was forever mentioning Brian at every opportunity in training, some players thought it was tedious and insecure.

Give me Dean Smiths football anytime......but I do get your attraction to 6-6-6......We will get there.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Buck Chinn was also a bookmaker. He had a shop in Sparkbrook. 

Correct.

I used to speak to Buck quite often on my way to the Trinity was HDE's nememsis......I now sit next but one to his son Carl in the "Doug Ellis"

Carl is a top man.....absolutely adores Villa, but sadly can't watch Penalties.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Give me David Moyes football anyday if Smith's pretty on the eye stuff can only get you mid table.

West Ham play good stuff at times but a lot of the time they are getting those ugly wins. They are by no means what i would call a "good on the eye" type of team.

Leeds play a lot better football than West Ham but it comes with a price and it ain't as effective.

42 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He's not done any of the pretty on the eye stuff this season and it is why we have sucked for half the season. 

Smith, it’s not clear? Hope you are kidding if Smith, considering the first half of the season when we were sublime to watch.

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Smith? Hope you are kidding considering the first half of the season when we were sublime to watch.

And we were playing well. But we haven't since Christmas. Despite us creating chances for fun in the small sections of the games where we have tried. The Everton game was the only since Christmas where we tried to score lots of goals. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

And we were playing well. But we haven't since Christmas. Despite us creating chances for fun in the small sections of the games where we have tried. The Everton game was the only since Christmas where we tried to score lots of goals. 

Not the point, you said

He's not done any of the pretty on the eye stuff this season and it is why we have sucked for half the season. 

Which is wrong! The first half of the season is still part of the season, which I know doesn’t fit the narrative you were saying in the last page but needed to be pointed out.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Not the point, you said

Which is wrong! The first half of the season is still part of the season, which I know doesn’t fit the narrative you were saying in the last page but needed to be pointed out.

We were also mainly playing counter attacking football which was certainly entertaining but not the type of football Smith is known for. Just because it is entertaining doesn't mean it is "Smith" Ball as villalad put. 

Â