Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Brentford were a playoff team the season before DS took over, so he actually lead them to their worst 3 finishes in this division since they came up, let's not pretend he's the greatest manager ever to live. 

With that said, I do agree with you on how far we could go if he gets the backing of the owners. I think FFP is a 3 year cycle isn't it? So in theory, this summer would mean our mad spending when we first went down would no longer be a factor and we should have a bit to spend. It's exciting what he could do when he can actually can build a squad of his own. 

To be fair you do get the occasional team that pushes above it’s weight to make playoffs and then flops after that. Reading and Sheff Wed being two good examples. 

I think considering the resources he had at Brentford mid table finishes with the slight hope of playoffs were as good as it was ever going to get. 

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We can absolutely make the top 2, it will need a hell of a run and for other results to go our way but right now all the teams above us are looking over their shoulders at us.

In the words of the legend Ron Saunders do you want to bet against us?

Yep.

Fulham were in a worse position, later in the season and the only reason they didn't go up automatically was because they bottled it against SHA.

21 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We can absolutely make the top 2, it will need a hell of a run and for other results to go our way but right now all the teams above us are looking over their shoulders at us.

In the words of the legend Ron Saunders do you want to bet against us?

Absolutely Trent.

If someone told me in October that I would feel as euphoric about the season as I do this morning I would have laughed at them.

I see us only getting stronger as the season goes on and we reinforce our squad.

Happy days!

1 hour ago, New_Hope said:

Teams are going to be shitting themselves about playing us now we have taken apart 2 of the best defences in the league in the last 2 games and scoring 8 goals in the process.  This is what DS said he wants and how refreshing. 

Opposition teams will be working on how to stop us playing rather than how we used to worry about stopping even the likes of Rotherham playing and avoiding defeat.

Yes it certainly is the case that, taking the best defences apart does put teams on alert, it also makes them feel cautious that if they step wrong that they are going to be caught out because of it.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Dean Smith's approach is hilarious. He never seem to bother about the opposition at all.

He always seem to go into games believing we will smash any side we come up against and that it's them that have t stop us not the other way around.

I kinda disagree. Smith has an attention to detail that we only ever dreamt of previously. Stopping others playing by setting traps, and allowing us to play our game more. 

Smiths idealogy around continuing to attack is great, and exciting, that’s one of the unique things about his style. 

Teams will be fearing us now. Home or away. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Dean Smith's approach is hilarious. He never seem to bother about the opposition at all.

He always seem to go into games believing we will smash any side we come up against and that it's them that have t stop us not the other way around.

Does he consider playing Jedinak to cope with Boro's physical threats? No, he simply don't care about their strengths he is looking to dominate the game and score as many goals as possible which is why he played Hourihane.

He goes to attack but he definitely had an strong idea of how to combat our opponents' strengths.

Look how many short corners we played yesterday to stop them just nodding it away.

• Like 2

Just now, Tomaszk said:

He goes to attack but he definitely had an strong idea of how to combat our opponents' strengths.

Look how many short corners we played yesterday to stop them just nodding it away.

The set piece variety yesterday was great. Chester’s goal came from a corner and him taking up an unusual starting position round the back. Also, the second goal was the result of a well worked short corner, and the second phase of the play created the goal. 

Have we appointed a set piece coach at all yet?

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

so 3-0 away at boro.....where are the doubters now ?

Incredible result really. ...and it looks sustainable...tbh. 

It absolutely does look sustainable. But what I find just as encouraging, is the fact that the whole club looks like it’s finally becoming set up right. Although the focus is on Dean Smith, there are lots of things happening behind the scenes that make his job easier to concentrate on. He has a proper team both on the training ground and in all the other aspects of a modern, well run football club. Proud history bright future someone once said, without actually knowing how to produce the future. This time it all feels different. UTV!!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Why did we give Bruce so many games this season.

because hindsight is an exact science.....If we had known it would be like this, the decision would have been made earlier, that's for sure.

We all speculated and some got it right.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It absolutely does look sustainable. But what I find just as encouraging, is the fact that the whole club looks like it’s finally becoming set up right. Although the focus is on Dean Smith, there are lots of things happening behind the scenes that make his job easier to concentrate on. He has a proper team both on the training ground and in all the other aspects of a modern, well run football club. Proud history bright future someone once said, without actually knowing how to produce the future. This time it all feels different. UTV!!

Confidence applies to not just the players....I do think there is more Nous about the place in the heirarchy....but the confidence gleaned from the team with be transformed above.

Confidence is like happiness its hugely contagious.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Amazing how the whole attitude and belief around the club has changed. From the players to the fans. Winning mentality all around. Love it. 

Yep. DS have his own way in how to "protect" a lead.

Edited by villalad21

47 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Does he consider playing Jedinak to cope with Boro's physical threats? No, he simply don't care about their strengths he is looking to dominate the game and score as many goals as possible which is why he played Hourihane.

Yep! I love that we're quite happy to get into a shootout and put the pressure on teams to score 3 or 4 goals to beat us. Teams will eventually try to park the bus and hit us on the counter but we'll keep finding a way through with these players and this mentality in this division

52 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well it makes sense really if the work we do training is based on ourselves rather than the opposition then that's how we should be approaching it. Very positive that. I've no doubt he will be at the hawthorns tommorow night too.

Â