Dean Smith

Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

People will probably go nuts with me here but i think we are actually Tottenham light in what we are trying to do. We press very high. Direct balls at pace between the lines. It's a joy to watch. Now, we are light years away from them obviously but it's what we should aspire to be. 10 years we were finishing ahead of them.

Why would they go nuts?  Spurs have a great set up from their Chairman on down.  Their fans have always been a bit delusional over the years, but you'll be hard pressed to find someone around here who won't admit that Spurs are a joy to watch at times.

Edited by KMitch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

Bullet dodged

An here's thinking he would be the quickest sacked manager in history..

Still glad we didn't have him as manager, we'd be sitting bottom of the league or close by now..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

People will probably go nuts with me here but i think we are actually Tottenham light in what we are trying to do. We press very high. Direct balls at pace between the lines. It's a joy to watch. Now, we are light years away from them obviously but it's what we should aspire to be. 10 years we were finishing ahead of them.

Smith have stated he is a big admirer of Guardiola, i think our style is more like City

And if you look at where Smith plays Grealish i's similar to where Guardiola plays De Bruyne

Edited by villalad21

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Smith have stated he is a big admirer of Guardiola, i think our style is more like City

And if you look at where Smith plays Grealish i's similar to where Guardiola plays De Bruyne

The way I see it, Grealish is (playing) more like Dsilva, both in his current role and what I think is his best suited role. Hourihane on the other hand is trying his best to emulate the role of KDB, but I do agree though that our play reassemble City more than Spurs.

19 minutes ago, vreitti said:

The way I see it, Grealish is (playing) more like Dsilva, both in his current role and what I think is his best suited role. Hourihane on the other hand is trying his best to emulate the role of KDB, but I do agree though that our play reassemble City more than Spurs.

Yes you're probably right when i think about it.

Only difference is we don't have a Fernandinho type of player, Thor could be that player but he is injured

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Or is Man City's style more like ours...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see Saints have sacked Mark Hughes. That means him, Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew, O'Leary and Bruce are now all out of work. 

Looks like the Day of the Dinosaurs really is coming to an end. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

After he’s secured his 5th European Cup and his 10th Premier League win, including 6 doubles and 3 domestic trebles, he could have a summer off to win the World Cup with England before coming back to continue where he left on at Villa Park. 

Sounds about right

7 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Apart from maybe Lambert, who at the time I thought would go on to be a great manager, I feel like we have a manager that could eventually out grow us.

That would take alot.

As a football club we should be a top 8 side in the prem every single year based on the size and potential of our club. In order for him to out grow us you're looking at a top 6 side in the prem and those clubs already have exellent managers.

He is a Villa fan there is no way he would take a job offer from the likes of Everton or Newcastle.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Apart from maybe Lambert, who at the time I thought would go on to be a great manager, I feel like we have a manager that could eventually out grow us.

I hope we go from strength to strength under Smith to the point that he's still here 20 years from now.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, TRO said:

been waiting for this one.lol

er I got it wrong in some ways and not SO wrong in others....but yes it does seem the players had it in them.

I was influenced in the main by the swamp we had walked through over the last 5-6 years, before Bruce arrived...He almost immediately turned us around from conceding goals at will....that for me was a very depressing time.

I accept the view of many on here that he was cautious in his DNA and that manifested us to a point of too cautious for promotion.

so far, Dean smith has been a revelation, I say so far, because I have seen things change so quick in the past....If I was a betting man, I would say this guy will continue in the vein he has started and I think for once being a Villa Fan does matter and drives him on.

Dean Smith has been quick to praise Steve Bruce for the players he has brought in, I think he is fair doing that....But Dean has clearly shown SB how to get the best out of them.

Like all things in life, rarely is something all ****.....Steve for me played his part in our recovery ( steadied the ship in a fashion) The fact the hierarchy mortgaged the club against going up and put all their faith in him, was probably in hindsight misplaced....they watch the games just like we do.

Personally, I saw a different Steve Bruce this season from the one last season, that is not saying his style of football was ever fluent or convincing

and now its time for Dean to jettison us forward in to what we want to be like.

What Dean has achieved with Steve Bruces's players ( Defence was a bit of an exception, meaning what he left us)is quite remarkable.....when he gets his own in god knows where he takes us to.

I love this period and had I of known DS would be like this I would have lauded his joining us much quicker.

but just remember  the car you are driving has not just arrived in its format, its evolved of many years and much improvement to be what it is.

We are no different, we need to gradually evolve in to the club we know we can be and with a Top manager who cares about us 2 owners with liquid funds to help him, with a CEO with Nous and a squad ready to run through brick wall anything is possible.

We have a lot of hard work ahead of us, but at last a chink of light is visible at the end of that dark tunnel( over 10 years) as the CEO said we need to chop much wood, but the chopping has started.

I get the feeling and I have had the feeling before ( in the past)that this wonderful old club of ours is on the way back.

We still have to be patient and humility will still serve us well.....but how can you not be over the moon at these recent results and just as importantly performances.

I am humbled to say.....Hail Dean Smith

Frankly TRO, I'm astonished you've not been made to eat an even greater dose of humble pie... then again, I suppose most of us just want to forget the dark years of the Dinosaur.

I will say this though, being one of the many, staunch Bruce critics from the get go, I'll never accept he "turned us around", "steadied the ship", or anything along those lines tbh. The way I see it, ANY half decent manager would've gotten just as much, if not much more, out of the squad he inherited. Furthermore there is no way of knowing how things would've turned out, had RDM been given the same time and patience that Bruce got. FFS we barely made midtable in his first season, playing some of the worst football I've ever witnessed along the way, and this was already with 'a superior' squad for this level. I'll not even bother with delving into the following the season...

I think DS has proven in no time at all, what can be achieved with a little training, nous and a positive approach, e.g. bare minimum requirements for a football manager/coach. Long may it continue!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vreitti said:
My god this feels good, after all the years of watching dogshit performances under Bruce et.al., and having to hear that they don't matter diddly squat, whilst everyone and his mother could see it wasn't ever sustainable. Thank you Dean Smith. 

He's made it enjoyable to watch Villa again. I used to dread having to sit through our games. We are a joy to watch these days. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I see Saints have sacked Mark Hughes. That means him, Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew, O'Leary and Bruce are now all out of work. 

Looks like the Day of the Dinosaurs really is coming to an end. 

Whats crazy is Im not 30 yet and I remember all of theese as young up and coming managers with a bright future

Â