Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Why what are they saying, could you copy n paste a few good posts please??

I said before the game I feared we'd sit back and let Villa take the game to us and that's exactly how it panned out. We are so predictable and teams must know now that if they play high up the pitch they can take control of the game. 

I walked out today on 75 minutes when we hadn't had a shot on target and barely even looked like mounting a serious attack. I can understand the argument that Pulis has got us into a decent league position, I was one of the optimists last season but even still we've got to show more attacking intent at home. 

Just been listening to Tees on the way home and general consensus was that it was a bad day at the office, I completely disagree. I don't think today was a bad day at the office, this is how we play!

Derby at home, Forest at home and Villa at home that's 3 games where we've been taken apart and barely had a shot on goal. I don't expect Guardiola football, I don't expect entertainment but I expect to see a team at home show some intent to try and win the game. We didn't do that in any of the above 3 games. 

I believe the manager has a duty to try and win a game at home, sitting back and playing like we are the away team is not good enough week after week. I and a lot of our fans pay a lot of money for season tickets and what we are seeing at home is simply not good enough. 

People were asking on a thread why the forum is dying, what is there to talk about at the moment? It's simply dire on the pitch, I hate being downbeat about the Boro but how can you feel anything different at the moment.

the scoreline didnt flatter Villa one iota.  they were that much the better side and outclassed us.
the problem started from minute one , Jimmy used the word earlier in the thread .....INTENT..
the lack of intent to take the game to the opposition has almost cost us a few times  in earlier fixtures but tonight we eventually were made to pay . the worry is that it will happen again ,this was NOT a bad day at the office it was come uppance.  

i hardly come on here anymore, simply because i cant stand the *** that's served up on the pitch by this anti football manager.

and i too knew from the very first game we wouldn't gain auto's and probably expect playoffs at best same as last season.

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=9083&page=23

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

And the 6 or so Managers before him. 

Our transformation is insane, in such a short space of time, the scary thing is you'd think we'll get even better as the season goes on. 

Yes we were underperforming for the quality of squad we have but many managers would (and have) achieved nothing like what we've seen so far. 

I don't see us losing many games now until the end of the season, I think we'll see a Fulham style run all the way to the title. 

I would say since John Gregory it's been a pile or trash at the helm, he was the last decent manager. When I think of a song I think of the ones at the end of Rambo first blood it's a long road.

I found around 15 waste if space managers to eventually come across the one we needed all along,  that is indeed an age of crap.

Dean Smith 10 Oct, 2018 Present
Kevin MacDonald 03 Oct, 2018 10 Oct, 2018
Steve Bruce 12 Oct, 2016 03 Oct, 2018
Roberto Di Matteo 02 Jun, 2016 03 Oct, 2016
Eric Black 30 Mar, 2016 02 Jun, 2016
Remi Garde 03 Nov, 2015 30 Mar, 2016
Kevin MacDonald 25 Oct, 2015 03 Nov, 2015
Tim Sherwood 17 Feb, 2015 25 Oct, 2015
Scott Marshall 11 Feb, 2015 17 Feb, 2015
Andy Marshall 11 Feb, 2015 17 Feb, 2015
Paul Lambert 04 Jun, 2012 11 Feb, 2015
Alex McLeish 17 Jun, 2011 15 May, 2012
Gerard Houllier 21 Sep, 2010 01 Jun, 2011
Kevin MacDonald 09 Aug, 2010 21 Sep, 2010
Martin O'Neill 05 Aug, 2006 09 Aug, 2010
Roy Aitken 19 Jul, 2006 04 Aug, 2006
David O'Leary 20 May, 2003 19 Jul, 2006
Graham Taylor 05 Feb, 2002 14 May, 2003
John Deehan 24 Jan, 2002 05 Feb, 2002
Stuart Gray 24 Jan, 2002 05 Feb, 2002
John Gregory 25 Feb, 1998 24 Jan, 2002
Brian Little 25 Nov, 1994 24 Feb, 1998
Ron Atkinson 07 Jul, 1991 10 Nov, 1994
Jozef Venglos 22 Jul, 1990 28 May, 1991
Graham Taylor 18 May, 1987 14 Jul, 1990
Billy McNeill 22 Sep, 1986 08 May, 1987
Graham Turner 16 Jul, 1984 14 Sep, 1986
Tony Barton 09 Feb, 1982 18 Jun, 1984
Ron Saunders 04 Jun, 1974 09 Feb, 1982
Vic Crowe 01 Jan, 1970 06 May, 1974
Tommy Docherty 01 Dec, 1968 01 Jan, 1970
Tommy Cummings 01 Jul, 1967 30 Nov, 1968
Dick Taylor 01 Jul, 1964 31 May, 1967
Joe Mercer 01 Dec, 1958 31 Jul, 1964
Eric Houghton 01 Sep, 1953 30 Nov, 1958
George Martin 01 Dec, 1950 31 Aug, 1953
Alex Massie 01 Aug, 1945 31 Aug, 1950
Jimmy Hogan 01 Nov, 1936 01 Sep, 1939
Jimmy McMullan 01 Jun, 1934 31 Oct, 1935
W J Smith 01 Aug, 1926 31 May, 1934
George Ramsey 01 Aug, 1884 31 May, 1926

Edited by Dave-R

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Reading the Boro forum and I kind of feel for them. They sound just like how we did under Bruce. 

Makes me that much more happy that we've got Deano. We've had to suffer for 8 years for this though!

I said in the match thread it was like Villa under Smith vs Villa under Bruce.  In fact it was similar to playing Brentford in recent seasons.

Defensive styles used to be very successful but football has changed in a big way.  Getting 11 men behind the ball and nicking goals is horrible to watch and not even proving that effective anymore.   Its all about the press these days.

Its a breath of fresh air to no longer be playing a defensive way.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Awwwww bless them, I too hear you and feel for them, it certainly looks like they feel what we felt under bruce and they know a new approach  is needed. 

What's the bet that borough end up getting rid of there manager if the results keep flowing bad and try bring in someone who can do a Dean Smith.

Hope whatever the club chooses that they can turn it around, there fans seem pretty ok, reasonable and able to admit defeat unlike other clubs fanbase's. 

My heart goes out to them for having to be put under dinosaur football that's quickly became prehistoric and ancient, we found the cure for that I hope borough do too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Junxs said:

:bang:

Could not disagree more. Smith picked up the the pieces in pretty much the same circumstances as Bruce did 2 years before him. What sets them apart is the difference in approach.

Totally different circumstances. We were in freefall when Bruce came in and would probably have done a Sunderland ...I'm no Bruce fan but at least let's give him credit for stopping the rot. 

Smith arrived to an underperforming and unbalanced squad that came 4th last season. Pretty different to falling arse first out of the Prem with one of the lowest ever point tallies. 

I'm glad Bruce isn't here now, I just wish he would have gone in the Summer, clearly Smith is far more forward thinking and tactically astute.  Thank goodness we got him and not Thierry Henry with his 12.5% win ratio and minus 11 goal difference from 8 games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Totally different circumstances. We were in freefall when Bruce came in and would probably have done a Sunderland ...I'm no Bruce fan but at least let's give him credit for stopping the rot. 

Smith arrived to an underperforming and unbalanced squad that came 4th last season. Pretty different to falling arse first out of the Prem with one of the lowest ever point tallies. 

I'm glad Bruce isn't here now, I just wish he would have gone in the Summer, clearly Smith is far more forward thinking and tactically astute.  Thank goodness we got him and not Thierry Henry with his 12.5% win ratio and minus 11 goal difference from 8 games. 

Sorry but I cant see the difference, both circumstances were pretty much identical. We were not in freefall under RdM - just drawing every game (against what turned out to be the best teams in the league). Whereas this season we were pretty much drawing every game as well (but against the worst teams in the league). If anything RDM was doing a better job prior to the respective sackings within the respective seasons they were sacked. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Bruce knew how to stop the ship from sinking. But had no idea on how to get it sailing, and lost the interest along the way.

Que Dean Smith. Instant success.  Captain my captain. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Sorry but I cant see the difference, both circumstances were pretty much identical. We were not in freefall under RdM - just drawing every game (against what turned out to be the best teams in the league). Whereas this season we were pretty much drawing every game as well (but against the worst teams in the league). If anything RDM was doing a better job prior to the respective sackings within the respective seasons they were sacked. 

Agreed. The idea idea that Bruce inherited a mess is simply not true. 

This was Bruces first game.

6 of this lot are still regulars, and Gollini, Elphick, Baker, Ayew and Westwood would all probably still make the match day squad. And let's not forget that Bruce had a few windows and a fair bit of money to "strengthen"

Bruce didn't inherit a mess, he created one. 

Gollini

Richards

Elphick

Chester

Cissokho

Adomah

Jedinak

Tshibola

Grealish

Kodjia

McCormack

Substitutes

Baker

Bacuna

Ayew

Gestede

Westwood

Hutton

Bunn

8 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Only difference is that RDM came in directly after relegation, so his poor start was seen as part of the 'rot' which Bruce stopped after he came in. I'll not argue the facts as he definitely did improve us, but it makes you wonder...was there even really that much of a rot to start with? We had an enthusiastic new owner and a brand new squad. The PL era seemed a long way away.

I would say he should have gone after not even making the playoffs in his first season (he lost like 7 out of 8 games in January if I remember correctly). Imagine if Smith finishes 13th this season, I'm sure he would get the sack. Bruce didn't because of the weird 'steadying the ship' meme.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Only difference is that RDM came in directly after relegation, so his poor start was seen as part of the 'rot' which Bruce stopped after he came in. I'll not argue the facts as he definitely did improve us, but it makes you wonder...was there even really that much of a rot to start with? We had an enthusiastic new owner and a brand new squad. The PL era seemed a long way away.

I would say he should have gone after not even making the playoffs in his first season (he lost like 7 out of 8 games in January if I remember correctly). Imagine if Smith finishes 13th this season, I'm sure he would get the sack. Bruce didn't because of the weird 'steadying the ship' meme.

To be fair if Smith finishes 13th (which i dont expect), i hope we stick with him, personally i reserve judgement until mid next season (after a Jan trf window and pre season inc transfers), although any steps in the right direction between now and then are all positives and give me hope, and recent events have given me hope deep in my loins :P

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He should of gone as soon as the playoffs finished, that is exactly it, but alot of us thought he maybe able to pull the following season off, he didnt. The owners should if gone eith Smith as soon as they came in, we know it now but at the time the picture wasn't so clear.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair if Smith finishes 13th (which i dont expect), i hope we stick with him, personally i reserve judgement until mid next season (after a Jan trf window and pre season inc transfers), although any steps in the right direction between now and then are all positives and give me hope, and recent events have given me hope deep in my loins :P

I'm willing to stick with Smith outrite. Even if things went wrong for a while, it wouldn't always be that way with Smith where as bruce we knew things wernt going to change ever.

Smith is a constant learner of the game he would adapt and I fear if we were to ever get rid all because of a bad run, we would end up with another decade of managers poorly managing us which I do not want.

I want Smith in the job regardless, I feel he is the man for the present and future and I don't see anyone out there doing any better to be honest.

• Like 3

Smith won't finish 13th this season, because even though he inherited a similar situation he is an actual coach that makes players better rather than an old dinosaur. 

Im looking forward to January and the FA cup,do you think well get turned over by lower league opposition?Not under Dean Smith we wont,in fact id love us to draw a premier league side just to see how we stand up against better opposition,better yet draw Fulham at home and do to them what Bruce should have done in the play off final.Damn it if i dont love what Dean Smiths serving.UTV

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I would say Bruce should have gone after not even making the playoffs in his first season (he lost like 7 out of 8 games in January if I remember correctly). Imagine if Smith finishes 13th this season, I'm sure he would get the sack. Bruce didn't because of the weird 'steadying the ship' meme.

Bruce got given plenty of credit he didn't earn because many were looking for reasons to be positive. We were crap before him and still crap with him, and fans were desperately trying to see light at the end of the tunnel.

No more dinosaur chat in this great man's thread please.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Bruce got given plenty of credit he didn't earn because many were looking for reasons to be positive. We were crap before him and still crap with him, and fans were desperately trying to see light at the end of the tunnel.

No more dinosaur chat in this great man's thread please.

I agree not talk about him

But Bruce I feel is worse manager in Villa history given the resources

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Agreed. The idea idea that Bruce inherited a mess is simply not true. 

This was Bruces first game.

6 of this lot are still regulars, and Gollini, Elphick, Baker, Ayew and Westwood would all probably still make the match day squad. And let's not forget that Bruce had a few windows and a fair bit of money to "strengthen"

Bruce didn't inherit a mess, he created one. 

Gollini

Richards

Elphick

Chester

Cissokho

Adomah

Jedinak

Tshibola

Grealish

Kodjia

McCormack

Substitutes

Baker

Bacuna

Ayew

Gestede

Westwood

Hutton

Bunn

I'm no fan of Bruce and I feel he massively underperformed here but in fairness, a lot of those players had the stench of relegation, failure and weakness around them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1974Centenary said:

Im looking forward to January and the FA cup,do you think well get turned over by lower league opposition?Not under Dean Smith we wont,in fact id love us to draw a premier league side just to see how we stand up against better opposition,better yet draw Fulham at home and do to them what Bruce should have done in the play off final.Damn it if i dont love what Dean Smiths serving.UTV

Cough....

Brentford were beaten at home by league 1 teams in 2 of the last 3 years. The only time they actually won a FA Cup game in the past 4 years was against non league eastleigh before getting torn to pieces by chelsea in the next round.

League cup record is equally as bad if not worse & includes getting dicked 4-0 at home by league 2 oxford & also losing against l2 exeter

Â