Dean Smith

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

How dare he outsmart their precious bielsa 

I genuinely believe Smith is the better manager. What he’s done at Villa is miraculous.

Incidentally, one point off of the vital 40 points for survival!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

I genuinely believe Smith is the better manager. What he’s done at Villa is miraculous.

Incidentally, one point off of the vital 40 points for survival!!

Thank God for that...

I was worried about us being dragged into a relegation battle before today :D

I must say listening to Dean Smith is a breath of fresh air; he's so honest in the way he analyses the game.

We get a tactical insight and it is interesting how he mentions we dictated our game plan on them and didn't get embroiled into the basketball match we saw at Villa Park.

Glad he was strong enough to bench Barkley, we looked much stronger and together as a team.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Enda said:

Sanson was brought on after 80 and Bertie was pulled off after 88. I agree those were the right subs but too late IMHO.

Sorry yes - I meant AEG not Traore. Would have done that a few mins earlier but otherwise those subs were what I would have done. 

Edit: weird as I don’t think this was the post I meant to quote, Enda. Leaving it up to avoid confusion but think I meant to quote someone else. You and I basically saying the same thing I think.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Why oh why is this board so bloody obsessed with earlier subs????

We are 8th in the league and thanks to Smith we are over-achieving due to his excellent management.

How can you say the subs were too late? We won!

I bet even in the 7-2 people were having a breakdown about subs. It’s getting really tiresome. 

Have this conversation over and over. You can win a hand in poker going all in with a pair of 3s. It doesn’t make it perfect.

I’ve also been saying we should drop poorly performing players. Was told to stop complaining there too.

Dean Smith is a great manager and I’m very happy to have him at the club. I can still think he’s too slow to make subs, just like you can love your missus and want her to not leave the oven on.

Is he above criticism? Has he never made mistakes? Is it apoplectic to think we could have brought Trez on after 75 mins?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Sorry yes - I meant AEG not Traore. Would have done that a few mins earlier but otherwise those subs were what I would have done. 

Edit: weird as I don’t think this was the post I meant to quote, Enda. Leaving it up to avoid confusion but think I meant to quote someone else. You and I basically saying the same thing I think.

Yeh we both said Traore not AEG. Whoops. Traore maybe could have come off as well tbh, he looked tired after 70 or so.

Aside, our central midfield subs today were Samsonite, Barkley, and Douglas Luiz. That’s one of the strongest benches in the league.

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

Never done a job on the opposition tactically y'know. 

This is why people get wound up by the stick he gets for his game management and tactics:

The constant selection of Barkley was annoying but we just have to trust this man knows what he is doing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

How dare he outsmart their precious bielsa 

Whilst we won the tactical battle and the game I do still think they looked the stronger team. They seem to win it back from us with ease but just couldn’t break us down. As we continue to improve as a team and squad I hope we are able to keep the ball much better and control games more.

Obviously delighted with the win and how the season is going though. 

28 minutes ago, Enda said:

Yeh we both said Traore not AEG. Whoops. Traore maybe could have come off as well tbh, he looked tired after 70 or so.

Aside, our central midfield subs today were Samsonite, Barkley, and Douglas Luiz. That’s one of the strongest benches in the league.

I think he only wanted to use two subs whatever in case Martinez had to come off. Not often you see someone playing on in that much discomfort and Heaton could easily have been needed even in the 94th minute.

• Like 1

of the 12 wins, we have only conceded in one of the games

we also have dropped the lowest amount of points from a winning position in the league all season that farcical Burnley game

Deano is probably a trophy away from Villa legendary status

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

of the 12 wins, we have only conceded in one of the games

we also have dropped the lowest amount of points from a winning position in the league all season that farcical Burnley game

Deano is probably a trophy away from Villa legendary status

As long as it’s a big one like this......

image.jpeg.555b820ae7d126290f61e2bf430435a8.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst we won the tactical battle and the game I do still think they looked the stronger team. They seem to win it back from us with ease but just couldn’t break us down. As we continue to improve as a team and squad I hope we are able to keep the ball much better and control games more.

Obviously delighted with the win and how the season is going though. 

I don't necessarily agree with them looking stronger. We were happy to sit back after the goal and happy to say, go on break us down, they couldn't. Leeds have some weaknesses to exploit and Smith used them against them.

16 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I don't necessarily agree with them looking stronger. We were happy to sit back after the goal and happy to say, go on break us down, they couldn't. Leeds have some weaknesses to exploit and Smith used them against them.

I think we could have kept the ball a bit better or at least been a bit more decisive and careful on the break to finish them off.  Don’t get me wrong though I’m not complaining. We got the job done. 

Â