Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we could have kept the ball a bit better or at least been a bit more decisive and careful on the break to finish them off.  Don’t get me wrong though I’m not complaining. We got the job done. 

I don't disagree, but think the pitch played a part in that as well. I would have liked to see Sanson starting as Luiz generally plays the conductor role and slowing down play and moving the ball around, we lacked that in the midfield and Sanson can play that role, just a little further up the pitch.

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is why people get wound up by the stick he gets for his game management and tactics:

The constant selection of Barkley was annoying but we just have to trust this man knows what he is doing. 

This all day.

If your only knowledge of villa was this thread since the Burnley game, you'd be convinced we were in a relegation battle and having a poor season. 

And you know the minute we next lose the same crowd will do it all over again. 

• Like 2

This man, along with NSWE have made me fall head over heels for my club again. There have been times in recent years where I’ve thought ‘What’s the point?’ ‘Why bother?’, but now I’m believing again, and the journey Dean has brought us on is nothing short of miraculous.

It is so refreshing having someone in charge who is adaptable, willing to learn and improve, listen, and sees the game the way many fans do. There is very, very little to disagree with Deano on. 

The spirit and camaraderie is there for all to see in the squad. The clean sheets, and solidity is down to hard work and guile. 

I’m excited, very excited, for what the future holds for AVFC, thank you Dean and NSWE.

• Like 2

So happy to see some changes yesterday to better fit an opponent. Bringing in Nakamba and Ramsey to add some steel and energy and I'd like to see a team to suit sheffield united. Assuming we will have more of the ball, I'd rotate Ramsey or Nakamba and bring Sanson or Dougie back in to play a bit further forwards.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is why people get wound up by the stick he gets for his game management and tactics:

The constant selection of Barkley was annoying but we just have to trust this man knows what he is doing. 

whist i do agree, i do think barkley probably played 1 or 2 games too many. deano was trying to play him into form/fitness which i don't necessarily agree with and i think it cost us points in the process.

when a big percentage of the fanbase thinks something the manager is doing is wrong, there's a good chance that they're right. even though smith knows more about football than each of those individuals

i'm pleased that he changed it yesterday. it was a bold move and it came off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

when a big percentage of the fanbase thinks something the manager is doing is wrong, there's a good chance that they're right. even though smith knows more about football than each of those individuals

When a large amount of the fanbase thought Smith should be let go exactly a year ago and now we are 8th, one point off 6th, I’ll stick with Smith thanks...

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

One tactical change that Smith made that was noticable was not playing out from the back and instead hitting it forwards earlier.

Yes, it wasn't pretty but it stopped what Leeds wanted to do and that was press us high up the pitch.

In the second half apart from the Raphinha header (he looks a quality player to be fair) we contained Leeds by limiting the space they could play in.

Also sensisble to employ those tactics on that woeful pitch.

Yes, I noticed that too. It's horses for courses.

Watkins did a great job holding up the ball.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

whist i do agree, i do think barkley probably played 1 or 2 games too many. deano was trying to play him into form/fitness which i don't necessarily agree with and i think it cost us points in the process.

i'm pleased that he changed it yesterday. it was a bold move and it came off.

What? No chance I can agree with this. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What? No chance I can agree with this. 

were you the same when bruce was playing players out of position? or letting a CB go out on loan when we had no cover? all the fanbase knew it was a mistake, but were you saying 'bruce knows what he's doing' ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

When a large amount of the fanbase thought Smith should be let go exactly a year ago and now we are 8th, one point off 6th, I’ll stick with Smith thanks...

it wasn't a large amount, compared to the percentage that wanted barkley dropped. i don't think a poll was ever done on smith in/out but it wouldn't be that big compared to the volume of people that wanted barkley dropped

and i'm not saying not stick with smith...i love where he's taken us. i love where i believe he will take us in the future. but not dropping barkley earlier annoyed me, and i think it cost us points.

Edited by tomav84

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

were you the same when bruce was playing players out of position? or letting a CB go out on loan when we had no cover? all the fanbase knew it was a mistake, but were you saying 'bruce knows what he's doing' ?

I'm not saying the fanbase can never be right, but when we're having having the best season in over a decade, I can't agree that the fans know best. 

• Like 4

Just now, DCJonah said:

I'm not saying the fanbase can never be right, but when we're having having the best season in over a decade, I can't agree that the fans know best. 

can it not be both? just becuase we are having an amazing season, does that mean that every decision made by the coaching team is correct? can we not be **** buzzing at where we are but still feel just a tad frustrated that we couldn't be higher?

look, this is coming across like i'm anti smith or something, i'm really not. i'm just annoyed at the dropped points where i honestly believe if we lined up with the midfield we had out yesterday, as many fans were calling for 2/3 games ago, we would have turned some of those losses/draws into wins

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

of the 12 wins, we have only conceded in one of the games

we also have dropped the lowest amount of points from a winning position in the league all season that farcical Burnley game

Deano is probably a couple of subs away from Villa legendary status

Fixed 🤣

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

can it not be both? just becuase we are having an amazing season, does that mean that every decision made by the coaching team is correct? can we not be **** buzzing at where we are but still feel just a tad frustrated that we couldn't be higher?

look, this is coming across like i'm anti smith or something, i'm really not. i'm just annoyed at the dropped points where i honestly believe if we lined up with the midfield we had out yesterday, as many fans were calling for 2/3 games ago, we would have turned some of those losses/draws into wins

I just find it odd that we can be doing this well because of the decisions our coaching staff are making and still some people think they're holding us back. 

Maybe making those changes earlier leads to beating Brighton and Leicester. Maybe it leads to us losing to Southampton and Arsenal. 

The frustrating thing is that when people talk about the changes they want, they never, ever contemplate that maybe they don't work or actually maybe they'd have cost us points in the past.

It's always, the VT changes would have meant more points.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just find it odd that we can be doing this well because of the decisions our coaching staff are making and still some people think they're holding us back. 

Maybe making those changes earlier leads to beating Brighton and Leicester. Maybe it leads to us losing to Southampton and Arsenal. 

The frustrating thing is that when people talk about the changes they want, they never, ever contemplate that maybe they don't work or actually maybe they'd have cost us points in the past.

It's always, the VT changes would have meant more points.

It's pretty obvious that the poster is talking about the selection of Barkley. @OutByEaster? Did an excellent breakdown of the Maddison goal where Barkley was largely culpable. Sanson, Nakamba or Ramsey instead of Barkley we might have had a better chance of stopping that goal.

There's no conspiracy theory against Dean Smith. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

That’s the problem though, fans think if Smith had done something different or what they would’ve thought then we would’ve got more points/higher in the league.  They assume their changes would’ve yielded a positive outcome and never take into consideration a negative outcome.

Easy to say that when we lose, that we couldn’t have done any worse but they assume their change would yield positive result.  Then re subs, starting line-ups, formations if only Smith had done what a fan said it would’ve yielded a positive outcome yet in many cases a negative outcome is also likely.

Dean has us in 8th, one point off 6th.  Yes some tweaks could’ve made us higher but also lower but fans calling for something doesn’t mean it would’ve yielded a positive outcome, it may have brought a negative outcome.

Always good to debate though but assuming we lost points because of it is still only a guess 

• Like 2

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

It's pretty obvious that the poster is talking about the selection of Barkley. @OutByEaster? Did an excellent breakdown of the Maddison goal where Barkley was largely culpable. Sanson, Nakamba or Ramsey instead of Barkley we might have had a better chance of stopping that goal.

Agreed. And without Barkley we might not beat Southampton and Arsenal.

It can't just be everything good that happens stays the same and my specific change gets us more points. That's a crazy way to think of things. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Always good to look for constant improvement I agree.  Sometimes feels on here to look for fault.  Fine line between the two but feels we tend more into the negative inference than the constructive inference.

One thing I've noticed that is a worrying trend about Dean Smith. For opposition managers that is. It's okay @DCJonah you can relax... 😜. When he works out how to beat you it's going to be hard to beat him again. This is going back to his Walsall days. 

Tactically he's improving. Fast.

• Like 4

Â