Dean Smith

Demitri_C

There's a lot of balance to strike being a good manager - particularly between pragmatism and loyalty. You don't want to be chopping and changing all the time as you won't have a settled side, but you don't want to only have the same XI every week as they'll get tired, possibly complacent and the rest of the squad will be annoyed at their lack of playing time/opportunity. 

Ideally, we want to have a side that we can rotate a bit so that we can rest players as well as be able to vary the way we play to counteract/nullify/overpower the opposition as and when we need to. 

In any case, I trust Smith to make the right decisions, by and large. He gets a hell of a lot more right than he does wrong and the most important thing is that he's always looking to adapt and learn.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Osirus said:

Needs to drop the 'Gillet' if he ever wants full legend status with us

Haunted by the ghost of tactics Tim every time I see one 

If I remember correctly Tim made 3 subs every game and always in a timely manner so I think you’re being a bit harsh!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I quite liked Sherwood. It appears I'm in the minority. 

There is also an argument that Grealish wouldn't be the player he is for us today, had Sherwood not managed us. 

There's also an argument the earth is flat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wait, it isn't?

There was a time that The Flat Earth Society stated on their website that they had millions of member from "around the globe" so they're not even sure themselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

There is also an argument that Grealish wouldn't be the player he is for us today, had Sherwood not managed us. 

he gave us an FA cup final. he put jack on the map.

but that's just 2 positives that i can think of...we got embarrassed in said final and i'd argue jack would've become a superstar even if sherwood never managed us

3 hours ago, Osirus said:

Needs to drop the 'Gillet' if he ever wants full legend status with us

Haunted by the ghost of tactics Tim every time I see one 

I must admit seeing him in a gillet made me involuntarily slowly shake my head.

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He didn’t know what he was doing but I still reckon he would have done better than Garde. Recruiting Garde relegated us there and then. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He didn’t know what he was doing but I still reckon he would have done better than Garde. Recruiting him relegated us there and then. 

Yeh, you might be right.

I dunno, I just don't have as many negative memoreis of Sherwood as I do say, Bruce, Garde, Di Matteo or O'Leary. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He didn’t know what he was doing but I still reckon he would have done better than Garde. Recruiting him relegated us there and then. 

Which is weird since Garde had a better ppg than Sherwood that season with the exact same squad. They were both shit, but I really hate this idea that's been creeping up in recent years that Sherwood was harshly treated or could've done better that season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh, you might be right.

I dunno, I just don't have as many negative memoreis of Sherwood as I do say, Bruce, Garde, Di Matteo or O'Leary. 

Garde was useless. Sherwood kept us up and got us to an FA Cup final so mainly good for me 

26 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Garde was useless. Sherwood kept us up and got us to an FA Cup final so mainly good for me 

I remember Garde drew his first game at home to man city 0-0 and I walked away thinking 'were going to be ok'. It's amazing how wrong us football fans can be sometimes.

Deano has done such a remarkable job that we just have to back him and will back him and protect him from the moaners so long as he continues!

Edited by Mjvilla
Re-read it and realised it sounded like Dem!!
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I remember Garde drew his first game at home to man city 0-0 and I walked away thinking 'were going to be ok'. It's amazing how wrong us football fans can be sometimes.

Deano has done such a remarkable job that we just have to back him and will back him and protect him from the moaners so long as he continues!

Yes best manager since MON? 

25 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Never realised this. Quite surprising that we've gone the season without winning a game like 2-1 or something

Should still make subs earlier though. 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

Â