Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yep workhorses like Salah, Aubameyang both got hat tricks vs Leeds, Bruno Fernandes got 2, Gylfi Sigurdsson scored as well and Grealish should have scored 2.

But yeah these luxury players do nothing vs Leeds

Except none of those players you mentioned are luxury players.

They all commit to a team ethic.

When you’ve got 2 20+ goals a season strikers putting in more tackles and interceptions than a midfielder, you start to appreciate the meaning of the phrase ‘luxury player’

54BD32EA-47AC-4FDE-A272-6733BC63E34C.jpeg

DF1409FD-4B66-4553-9139-51EF57712766.jpeg

Edited by Thug
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

It's never been Smith's strategy to bawl out players in public. I genuinely don't understand why people are surprised that he is defending Barkley.

This idea that hes stubborn etc is weird. We saw last year with our summer 2019 signings, it takes time to bed in.

Does anyone genuinely believe that hes going to start ramsey, (1 start), Samson (no starts) and nakamba (1 good game), against Leeds.

Tge problem is the lack of a genuine quality DM. We dont have 1. 

I would rest Barkeley for Sanson, but having said that I'd play 442 today!!!

precisely.

I honestly believe if we had Soucek & Rice....we would finish in the European places.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

precisely.

I honestly believe if we had Soucek & Rice....we would finish in the European places.

Yes if we added two of the best midfielders in the league we'd probably go up from 8th to 6th.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes if we added two of the best midfielders in the league we'd probably go up from 8th to 6th.

Well you do know that not everyone, would think they are the 2 of best in the league...In their position, I think you are right...they really are good CDM's

so lets go and get some that look like them and with games in hand could go 4th.

If we don't try, we will never know.

Today, all eyes will be on Midfield, I suspect.

Edited by TRO

Just now, Tommo_b said:

Still might, only 9 off West Ham with 3 games in hand, let’s not write ourselves off yet. 

No doubts we could catch west ham. They're no better than us.

Don't think we've got the legs in the squad personally.

No doubt the packed schedule has meant a David Moyes side that stands off sides will conserve energy for longer.

Well done to them and him.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We were fading anyway, even more so, I so cannot see anymore progress without Grealish, midtable finish if we are lucky..

I know!

A great season, wouldn't you agree?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No doubts we could catch west ham. They're no better than us.

Don't think we've got the legs in the squad personally.

No doubt the packed schedule has meant a David Moyes side that stands off sides will conserve energy for longer.

Well done to them and him.

It’s we don’t want to, problem with Smith is he doesn’t like changes. 
What’s the problem in changing a player here or there even if it was for rest? He leave it until players are injured. 

You’ve got 6 good midfielders why not rotate them? 
Sometimes certain players are needed in certain games.

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We were fading anyway, even more so, I so cannot see anymore progress without Grealish, midtable finish if we are lucky..

We’ve been playing badly even with Grealish, we needed a tactical change. It’s clear that playing Barkley and Traore together won’t work against physical teams and hard working teams. A midfield of three and Traore would give us better chances.

Then when we’re trying to get a goal we get Trez to the pitch. While it’s clear that Trez is the choice when you’re winning not when you’re losing. 

Ramsey or Sanson will change the whole team. Getting Watkins into Grealish place will also improve us. 

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I know!

A great season, wouldn't you agree?

Great season? No.

Mid table is where most of us expected us to be before this season. Last season surviving on the last day was nowhere near good enough and I'm sure even Smith and the players would agree on that.

Mid table would be ok. Top half would be good. Top 6 would be great.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

It’s we don’t want to, problem with Smith is he doesn’t like changes. 
What’s the problem in changing a player here or there even if it was for rest? He leave it until players are injured. 

You’ve got 6 good midfielders why not rotate them? 
Sometimes certain players are needed in certain games.

All very much a similar style....so why change them, unless they are injured or off form.

Dean obviously doesn't think they are off form, else he would.

We can't alter our game to counter other teams, because we don't have the variety in characteristics to do it.

I think the real issue we have is not having the variety of midfielder to change anything.....and I am not sure that will be addressed, because, I don't think Dean thinks its an issue.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

All very much a similar style....so why change them, unless they are injured or off form.

Dean obviously doesn't think they are off form, else he would.

We can't alter our game to counter other teams, because we don't have the variety in characteristics to do it.

I think the real issue we have is not having the variety of midfielder to change anything.....and I am not sure that will be addressed, because, I don't think Dean thinks its an issue.

I don't think they are similar.

Nakamba is more of a ball winner. Luiz more of a playmaker.

McGinn and Barkley are attacking minded midfielders and i see Ramsey and Sanson as jack of all trades.

What we do miss is a big and powerful DM. Hopefully it gets sorted in the summer as i really think it would free up Luiz. I still don't see Luiz as a DM. Never will.

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Great season? No.

Mid table is where most of us expected us to be before this season. Last season surviving on the last day was nowhere near good enough and I'm sure even Smith and the players would agree on that.

Hmmm.

So top 10 good...

Midtable expected you say? Bookies had us third favourites to drop, do they were expecting 18th.

And what even is midtable? Not 9th obviously as that's top 10. So is 10th of course. 11th? 16th?

16th was of course progression.

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Great season? No.

I know it's easy to misremember, but you weren't actually included in that "most people". Didn't you say 17th would be a success?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Great season? No.

You can finish in mid table and the top half at same time 🙄

23 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If thats true then it’s running for the sake of running because we all saw there wasn’t much a contribution.  It’s shame we haven’t got access to those kind of stats. 

Maybe Dean is talking about heart rate levels throughout the game. I have no doubt that Barkley is topping that particular metric by some distance and hitting max HR very early in the game.

Â