Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

We've regressed from the point you seem to demand we all focus on. Yes, we aren't playing like a team that will win the league remaining undefeated. Not sure that's worth getting annoyed about  

In my opinion we've progressed loads from last season. Our form will always be up and down all through the year, thats just football. 

No.... I'm not demanding anyone focus on anything. I'm clarifying the point I made which has been questioned by you and others, its called context.

As for the winning the league comment that pathetic and a strawman argument to try and de-legitimise a valid point. I can't be arsed debating if that is how you want to respond, its quite clear I don't expect us to play like a team that will win the league and remain undefeated, that's just childish.

Yes I know you think we've progressed since last season, so do I and so does everyone but that's an entirely different point as I've tried to clarify for you but I'm wasting my time. So I'll stop.

8 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Why do the people who think we are playing a lot better (which we are) unable to also admit we are now defending like clowns, the two things aren't mutually exclusive. 

It genuinely feels at the moment that everytime a team gets a shot on target against us, it's a goal and that was what it was like before lockdown.

I agree with both

What I vehemently disagree with is that the defending will drag us in to a relegation battle and we should all start to worry and look over our shoulders 

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

6 shots on target tonight, scoring one. West Ham scored with their two attempts.

66% possession. You would hope with such domination we would have done better.

How many games do you think we will miss a sitter like that, miss a pen and get screwed by VAR. 

I'm not sure how much more you can realistically expect. You line of what's acceptable is ridiculously high. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Nice hand picked selection of games there.  Besides, Leeds was early in the season.

I think we've had defensive errors in pretty much every game we've played this season.  Sometimes they've been punished, sometimes they haven't.  However, what I think has changed is that we're not as open as we were earlier in the season.  I think you're probably mis-remembering things because results were better.  Sheff Utd missed a penalty against us in a game where we didn't actually do that much despite playing against 10 men.  Fulham were awful and missed clear cut chances.  The game against Liverpool was a freak and ridiculously open all over the place - they actually created quite a lot.

Since those opening three games, I think we've generally looked a lot more assured all over the pitch and have switched from wanting open games to dictating possession and looking to create chances with more considered build-up play.  For me, we've been defensively better overall - despite individual errors happening which have been happening for a long time.

So, yes, I think we're improving and I'm genuinely pretty surprised you think the opposite.

Hand picked games? They are with the exception of Arsenal our recent games. I'm done.

Just now, mykeyb said:

6 shots on target tonight, scoring one. West Ham scored with their two attempts.

66% possession. You would hope with such domination we would have done better.

Of course you'd hope we'd do better and the odds would be massively in our favour if you ran the game again.

If the better and deserving side always won the betting industry would be in tatters, luck plays a large part of one off games but the performances make the different over the season.

Our attacking play has progressed massively and overall we are a far better team now, BUT although our defence HAD progressed it is now getting worse with every game.

That for me is the worst thing about it, there have been so many times we have been awful and shipped stupid goals, but at the moment we are our own worst enemy (along with VAR), we have so much quality going forward all completely undone by muppet defending.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

No.... I'm not demanding anyone focus on anything. I'm clarifying the point I made which has been questioned by you and others, its called context.

As for the winning the league comment that pathetic and a strawman argument to try and de-legitimise a valid point. I can't be arsed debating if that is how you want to respond, its quite clear I don't expect us to play like a team that will win the league and remain undefeated, that's just childish.

Yes I know you think we've progressed since last season, so do I and so does everyone but that's an entirely different point as I've tried to clarify for you but I'm wasting my time. So I'll stop.

You kept making the point that its now December and we shouldn't talk about last season. 

But our form at the start of the season was title winning form. We had the best defence in the league. It was never going to continue that way. 

I just don't see the point arguing of short spells of form. Isn't this what midtable football looks like? A good spell followed by a bad spell and vice versa. 

For me, the one aim is to be better than last year. I've seen nothing to suggest that won't happen, so the ups and downs are part of the journey. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Losing and banging on about your expected goals is like failing to pull on a night out, and talking about your expected BJ rate while you toss yourself off.

And wailing that we're going to be fighting relegation is akin to not getting any notches on your bedpost for a month and deciding that must mean you'll never sleep with anyone again.

6 minutes ago, penguin said:

We missed a sitter, a penalty and the VAR-farce at the end should have been another penalty at the worst. Not to mention a few other half-chances.

I'm not sure how many chances you are expecting to be created in a game, particularly one where the other side has no real intention of doing anything other than stifling you. 

I thought Smith had run his course pre-lockdown but what we are seeing now is so much different. I'm not worried at all if we continue to put in performances like that every week, sides aren't going to score from every ball they put into the box and our players aren't going to continue to miss every chance.

6 attempts on target.

Why do some people assume that posters pointing out issues they see in a game as us wanting Dean out.

Do you think when Dean get the team in next he won't be poi ting out issues with tonight's game?

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

See I don’t think they were ironed out, we just went more solid/defensive which stifled our attack.  Targett is still not good enough, Mings is prone to errors trying outlandish cruyff turns and things, Konsa while developing well still looks naive sometimes and looks to Mings too often.  They are improving but one game is good, one is bad.  There isn’t a leader at the back.

Some good points raised there.

• Thanks 1

Quite simply, we have lost 4 out of our last 5 games, that is not ok. I think in all of the games we have made an error which has led to a goal (correct me if wrong, genuinely not 100% sure). This shouldn’t be happening, especially for a premier league team.

Seeing the list of teams we have lost to, it doesn’t make for great reading. A lot teams are all the same, West Ham, Newcastle, Crystal Palace. All capable of picking up surprise results - but for some reason they are exactly the sorts of teams we will mess up against.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

This is beyond daft. I've not said we've not progressed since last season and I don't expect continuous progress.

But right now, in the last few games we haven't been progressing, defensive lapses have returned so that element of our game and in turn our results have regressed. That can't be disputed.

I

I didn't say you did. What I said is that your idea of regression is myopic if you think that this - your arbitrary point from where it can and can't be ascertained - is it, but by all means crack on thinking pointing that out is daft.😂 By your logic you're being daft because we in fact progessed in the latter 44 minutes of the second half from our performance in the first minute. Or better yet our defensive performance was actually better here than it was vs Brighton, in which case surely that's progress if I draw the imaginary line from there.

In the grand scheme of things we've absolutely improved and that's what can't be disputed with the current evidence we have.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

See I don’t think they were ironed out, we just went more solid/defensive which stifled our attack.  Targett is still not good enough, Mings is prone to errors trying outlandish cruyff turns and things, Konsa while developing well still looks naive sometimes and looks to Mings too often.  They are improving but one game is good, one is bad.  There isn’t a leader at the back.

Part of that was because when we came back from lockdown.. Most teams wern't up to speed so there were less goals scored anyway. 

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You kept making the point that its now December and we shouldn't talk about last season. 

But our form at the start of the season was title winning form. We had the best defence in the league. It was never going to continue that way. 

I just don't see the point arguing of short spells of form. Isn't this what midtable football looks like? A good spell followed by a bad spell and vice versa. 

For me, the one aim is to be better than last year. I've seen nothing to suggest that won't happen, so the ups and downs are part of the journey. 

Once again, you've agreed with the point I made that the way we are currently playing has regressed from earlier in the season. 

You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension I don't think we've improved from last season, a point I've addressed several times. 

I've not said ups and downs aren't part of the journey, I'm just saying in my opinion in recent games we've dipped. You seem to agree so I'm not quite sure what you are taking issue with.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Losing and banging on about your expected goals is like failing to pull on a night out, and talking about your expected BJ rate while you toss yourself off.

We've gone from.the Tika Tika era 70% Lambert pass completion to the XG era.

I just want 4 4 2 and the one who scores most goals is definitive winner era.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How many games do you think we will miss a sitter like that, miss a pen and get screwed by VAR. 

I'm not sure how much more you can realistically expect. You line of what's acceptable is ridiculously high. 

Just for clarity what exactly have I deemed acceptable?

Â