Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Keyblade said:

Missed a chance to go into the top 4 with a game in hand and 3 points off the top after a quarter of the season.

VT: We've regressed from last season.

Narrator: (They almost got relegated on the last day.)

Nobody has said we've regressed from last season.

• Like 1

Football is such fine margins and yet again we find ourselves on the wrong side of things which is something we need to look at. Though, there's a lot of positives to take right now. Same as last week really, tighten up at the back a bit and take our chances when we get them.  

We could be 6-9 points better off with a little more investment and better players. 

Need to get back to winning ways on Friday.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes I think these players are very capable finishing in the top 10. At the very least 

I haven’t thought that even before we started the season.  We still have left back problem, our centre back pairing is still new and prone to errors but will get better.  Our midfield is one injury away from having real issues as tonight showed that Conor is a poor replacement for Ross.  Our striker is new and young so while is great, will have good and bad games and we still have right forward position of unknowns.  

Then the lack of depth in the squad of quality is huge.  No decent back up striker at the moment, no decent back up midfielder as I already mentioned and no decent back up centre back.  Doesn’t sound like a recipe for a long season where games come thick and fast especially when I have already quoted established talented teams with big squads that you think we would compete with in the top half.  I’m still targeting 50 points which should get us around mid table and keeping my fingers cross we don’t get many injuries to main players.  We could smash it and get a top ten but everything would have to go our way with injuries and that but I’m still not sure there is enough in the defence or squad to get us there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Nobody has said we've regressed from last season.

To say we’ve regressed from beating Liverpool 7-2 is kind of stating the obvious though. We’d be miles clear in the league and potential champions league winners next season if we performed to that level every week.

We've played well the last two games and certainly deserved far more than what we’ve got.  I’m not sure that lapses in concentration by defenders and dreadful finishes by attackers are Smiths fault though.

Hes put out a team tonight that have played well enough to win the game comfortably. Unfortunately he can’t put the chances away or head the balls into the box away himself. He’s been let down by two mistakes at the back and by who knows how many mistakes up front today. The system worked and we should have won the game.

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Possession we bossed yes, 6 attempts on target isn't a battering really. I don't think we are creating enough quality chances considering we did dictate the game for most of the second half.

6 attempts on target for a game is actually above average.

Trezeguet's chance was an absolute sitter.

Obviously shots on target doesnt take into account the missed penalty either

We created enough for at least a point, but if you dont convert those chances...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, andym said:

We created enough for at least a point, but if you dont convert those chances...

To be honest if we’d won that game 2 or 3-0 it would have been a fair reflection of the game. As you say it doesn’t matter because we didn’t take our chances and made 2 poor mistakes at the back.

You’d like to think that if we continue to dominate games the way we have for the last 3 games that we’ll win more games than we lose.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, andym said:

We should have won tbf just freak circumstances occurred and we lost we looked the better side all game last season wed would have been the team defending for our lives 

• Like 1

On 24/11/2020 at 09:26, villalad21 said:

I don't like this "You score 4 we'll score 5" type approach Smith has gone with against the lesser sides at home.

Need to be more pragmatic and stay in a shape. So easy to get behind the defence.

We have forward players who can do the business. There is no reason for everyone to be bombing forward. I even saw Tyrone sprinting forward at one stage against Brighton. Madness.

The type of madness that saw Kompany storm forward and smash a winner into the top corner to win the title and then do the helicopter with his dick five times round the pitch. 

Just now, Keyblade said:

So we've regressed from what, beating the champions 7-2? I guess you're right in a sense, it's a regression toward the mean.

Yes, I expect us to play at the same level we did against Liverpool, win every game and score hundreds of goals on the way to the title.

I can't be arsed defending a perfectly reasonable comment against strawman arguments any more.

I've said it before but I really am done.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes, I expect us to play at the same level we did against Liverpool, win every game and score hundreds of goals on the way to the title.

I can't be arsed defending a perfectly reasonable comment against strawman arguments any more.

It's really hard to discern the point you're making. That game was the highest point we've been at this season, which one would assume would be where we've regressed from? 

Our results this season have been:

• Beating 2 very poor sides, that we likely would have beat last season as well. Not exactly progress.
  • The Liverpool win.
  • A very cagey 1-0 win against Leicester.

Ever since then, 4 out of the 5 games have been almost identical to today's game. If anything, Liverpool and Arsenal are looking like outliers. So which point from the ones above did we regress from?

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t know what the point you are making is though. In our past three games we’ve beaten Arsenal 3-0 deservedly and lost 2-1 to Brighton and West Ham in games which if we’d have won them 3 or 4-1 ourselves nobody would have said the score line flattered us.

I don’t see how this can be seen as a regression. The defensive mistakes are frustrating but I’m not convinced that the blame is on Smith for those rather than the individual players making the mistakes.

The way we are playing football is a joy to watch at times and I’d like to think that over the course of a season we’ll get the results that we deserve more often than not.

• Like 2

We bossed a game we should have scored 5, but poor basic decision making cost Villa at the start of both halves. 

Moyes has got Spam playing like his old Everton team. Tough to beat, strong on set pieces.

We’ve now lost 4 in 5 but the elephant in the room is the giving away of sloppy goals. 

I think the fact that West Ham, an established mid-table side since at least the season went down were playing their heart out trying to hang onto the win against us shows how far we've come. We are a side to be feared now going forward. David Moyes has admitted it, as have Declan Rice and Jarrod Bowen. If you changed our kit to Man United's during that game, nobody would bat an eyelid. We can roll with the punches with any team in this league. We might not win them all, but we'll be damned if we don't give it a good go. How about we ride this wave and see where it takes us at the end of the season? I'm personally predicting 9th, which in itself is a huge achievement and progression from last season.

I think this squad could have done better than they have this season, even though the start may seem like seventh heaven compared with last time.

The question for this thread has to be why haven’t we done even better and how that can be addressed. That’s the issue for DS really and one he has to solve.

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Smith is not the problem and never has been.

We’re now a mid table quality side with a decent starting 11. Goalkeeper and Traore vs Trez are the only positions where we have any real competition for places at the moment, and that’s where the problem lies.

If we want to be winning consistently we need to be able to rotate the squad - but Smith doesn’t have the quality available to do that.

Another couple of transfer windows will fix it, but in the meantime Dean is doing a solid job. Just going to have to take the rough with the smooth for a while.

I've been saying it for a while as well and completely agree with you.

This is where the youth comes in and Smith has to realise that his first eleven can not go all season long running at hundred percent. Smith is a good manager for Villa but he seems reluctant to play the youth unlike other clubs who will bring them on the field for time, even in front of fringe players. Squad depth is the problem and at the moment the only way to solve it is bring Ramsey, Vasilev, Barry, Revan (who seem a fine CB to me), Rowe who can play LB, LM and CM, Birch who can play DM and CM, would be an excellent rotation for Luiz. Look we ha e to accept that we can not play our first eleven constantly and we have to accept that rotation for recovery is needed, this is the time where you choose the games wisely to blood in those youth above. If those youth dont perform as good as expected that's okay, but they have had game time and even if loss occurs experienced is gained and first eleven player recovery begins.

For me it's a bloody no brainer to bring some youth in now before our players get so drained that we lose so many that were in a dogfight again, we have to be smart.

Edited by Dave-R

Â