Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Huge progress in our attacking play and overall balance in midfield and going forward.

Barkely's injury is a blow. Dean cannot be held accountable for VAR, Ollie missing penalties and Trez continuously missing sitters.

But the lack of concentration in defence on set pieces, Mings and Konsa getting caught out of position, everyone pushing too high up the pitch and slopping defending all round, has to be blamed on someone. Dean showed after lockdown that he is capable of setting us up as a hard working utterly focused unit who defend as a team, he needs to go back to that.

He needs to prove he is willing to drop some of out of form favourites to try and get better results.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Have we not done that? We are 10th with a 9 pt gap over 17th. 

But if we were more disciplined we could be 4th. You can't play like we played against Liverpool, then hardly ever see that again. We were the same last season, showed some quality but never followed it up.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I think its fairly obvious there was progress at the start of the season from last season and I think its been very obvious in recent weeks there has been regression. What I'm seeing at the moment is regression not progress.

Got to disagree!

Apart from Leeds we have been the better team on the pitch recently but sloppiness and not taking our chances has cost us.  Last season it was really rare we were the better team.  We won’t continue to not take our chances because we know we have the quality, a lot more than last season.  

We’ve always had our defensive issues, sometimes we go a few games without showing them but they are always there.  Hopefully Emi and Matty might help hide them more often than not.

On the whole though our midfield and attacking is so much better and we control games but then it’s just abut whether we score or not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

My bad, I was thinking we lost the 0-0 we were dreadful in and it was away. 

I still think we played far better than in either game against West hame last year. 

Question for you - would you feel we'd got worse if we'd scored 2 of the 5 sitters we missed? 

No.

But this is the prem - its fine margins - missing those sitters matters - you can't just say 'what if wed scored them' -  scoring/not scoring is the measure of improving or not.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

But if we were more disciplined we could be 4th. You can't play like we played against Liverpool, then hardly ever see that again. We were the same last season, showed some quality but never followed it up.

we destroyed Arsenal at the Emirates a few weeks back

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Scored a deflected goal and......................

Dean can and will improve, I say yet again nobody is seriously asking for his head but I doubt he will another season if we finish in the bottom six again.

If we play the rest of the season as we're playing currently, we'll be nowhere near the bottom six.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I understand the frustration after losing this game, but surely you're joking?  We were bad against Brighton (and still should've got something) but have been by far the better side (IMO) against all of Southampton, Arsenal and tonight against West Ham.  We're controlling games - when did we last do this?!

We're absolutely moving forward - I really don't get how we're going backwards at all.

I think its quite clear I'm talking about this season, we need to stop benchmarking against last season now its December in a couple of hours time.

IIf you can't see how defensively we are regressing from the improvements made at the end of last season and at the start of this then I'm pretty bemused.

Obviously we are better than we were last season but in the last few weeks, defensively we are regressing not improving at this moment in time. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Fair enough. Im not calling for his head or anything. - But we have some very, very,  good players now - not just the odd one here and there. 

We do, but I don't think it's fair on him to change the expectations from the beginning of the season. 

When I watch us play, I don't see him holding us back or his system/tactics/subs necessarily being a problem. If you take our last two games, he set us up to win against Brighton and West Ham, and we really should have done. What transpired was that we didn't take our chances and we conceded goals that we shouldn't have - for me that was individual player error. 

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

Huge progress in our attacking play and overall balance in midfield and going forward.

Barkely's injury is a blow. Dean cannot be held accountable for VAR, Ollie missing penalties and Trez continuously missing sitters.

But the lack of concentration in defence on set pieces, Mings and Konsa getting caught out of position, everyone pushing too high up the pitch and slopping defending all round, has to be blamed on someone. Dean showed after lockdown that he is capable of setting us up as a hard working utterly focused unit who defend as a team, he needs to go back to that.

He needs to prove he is willing to drop some of out of form favourites to try and get better results.

If it continues he will rightly or wrongly be held accountable. Its the way its always been. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

We have some really tough games coming up. It wont be long until that shrinks significantly if form doesnt improve quick 

Newcastle, Wolves, Burnley, West Brom, Palace? It doesn’t get an awful lot easier than 5 game run. None of the big boys.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Got to disagree!

Apart from Leeds we have been the better team on the pitch recently but sloppiness and not taking our chances has cost us.  Last season it was really rare we were the better team.  We won’t continue to not take our chances because we know we have the quality, a lot more than last season.  

We’ve always had our defensive issues, sometimes we go a few games without showing them but they are always there.  Hopefully Emi and Matty might help hide them more often than not.

On the whole though our midfield and attacking is so much better and we control games but then it’s just abut whether we score or not.

Its December in a couple of hours we really need to stop comparisons with last season.

Defensive issues have crept back into our game having seemingly been ironed out, its fairly clear to see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We missed a pen and trez missed an absolute sitter and then had VAR screw us. 

How many strikes on target did we register tonight? We are ok until the final 3rd and then we struggle.

West Ham fans won't be saying they were lucky tonight they will will think their game management got them 3 points

Â