Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, tom_avfc said:

Why are shots on target the best way to determine chances created. We’ve missed the target with a penalty today. Last week Trezeguet put an open goal wide. Are we just ignoring chances where we miss the target.

You generally don't score goals with shots off target.

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

6 chances on target with one goal in a game we lost and controlled the game..........you are happy with those stats so no point in further discussion.

Haha you stick on that stat. 

Anyone who watched the game can see we had enough to win. 

Just now, mykeyb said:

6 chances on target with one goal in a game we lost and controlled the game..........you are happy with those stats so no point in further discussion.

What were you expecting, honestly?

They are a good defensive side coming off the back of two 1-0 wins and had little inclination to do anything but sit deep for the entire game. We had 3 excellent chances, including the foul/penalty at the end, I don't know what your expectations of us are but they would appear to be unrealistic.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the way we're playing now going forwards is brilliant - the movement, the inventiveness, the swagger, the arrogance, the number of chances we create and our ability to pull defences apart, it's fantastic and whilst the band is very much lead by Jack, the movement and the support for him is very much coached and drilled and practiced in - we're playing football that's as good to watch as I can remember us playing in a long, long time.

There are goals in this team - you wouldn't think it with the finishing tonight, but we could have had four or five even so - indeed, we look like we could score four in just about every game we play - we're as good to watch going forward as anyone in the division - the football we play is littered with moments of absolute quality.

Sure, we've got weaknesses, neither centre half is the complete package, both fullbacks have things they do well and things they don't and collectively they have the occasional brain fart - but let's not ignore our strengths.

The football Smith has us playing is brilliant to watch - we're a growing club and we'll continue to add players - but the style, the pattern, those things are already very promising in terms of our future. Tonight was a frustrating loss - but in my opinion we've got a manager here who can take us places.

Wish I hadn't used all my likes up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

But we are talking about chances we created. You can't just ignore that. 

You're dismissing a penalty as being a good chance because we didn't hit the target. Do you know how insane that is?

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Nice evasion.

I've sort of explained myself in a long post to which you replied "Hand picked?  I'm done".  I'm not really sure what I'm evading.

However, for clarity, I think we're better defensively now than at the start of the season, but have conceded more goals over a freak run of games and I've explained why.  We're also better at controlling the ball and creating opportunities than we were at the start of the season.  We're currently like a reverse-Newcastle.

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

Surprisingly enough I’m not trying to argue that you will. Generally though you have far more chance of scoring from the penalty spot or from the open goal that Trezeguet had last week than from Traore passing one straight to the keeper from 30 yards like he did today.

Your metric for whether we battered a team makes Traore’s shot more important than a penalty. It’s kind of why expected goals is a stat now even if it seems to be frowned upon on here as a measure of a teams dominance.

But you carry on with the sarcastic comments like the above if it fits the way that you want to frame our performances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

What were you expecting, honestly?

They are a good defensive side coming off the back of two 1-0 wins and had little inclination to do anything but sit deep for the entire game. We had 3 excellent chances, including the foul/penalty at the end, I don't know what your expectations of us are but they would appear to be unrealistic.

Like I said we best West ham and Brighton but lose to Liverpool and Leicester and no one cares 

Expectations have gone a bit daft 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

Surprisingly enough I’m not trying to argue that you will. Generally though you have far more chance of scoring from the penalty spot or from the open goal that Trezeguet had last week than from Traore passing one straight to the keeper from 30 yards like he did today.

Your metric for whether we battered a team makes Traore’s shot more important than a penalty. It’s kind of why expected goals is a stat now even if it seems to be frowned upon on here as a measure of a teams dominance.

But you carry on with the sarcastic comments like the above if it fits the way that you want to frame our performances.

Its insanity. Pure Dean Smith hatred fueled insanity. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the way we're playing now going forwards is brilliant - the movement, the inventiveness, the swagger, the arrogance, the number of chances we create and our ability to pull defences apart, it's fantastic and whilst the band is very much lead by Jack, the movement and the support for him is very much coached and drilled and practiced in - we're playing football that's as good to watch as I can remember us playing in a long, long time.

There are goals in this team - you wouldn't think it with the finishing tonight, but we could have had four or five even so - indeed, we look like we could score four in just about every game we play - we're as good to watch going forward as anyone in the division - the football we play is littered with moments of absolute quality.

Sure, we've got weaknesses, neither centre half is the complete package, both fullbacks have things they do well and things they don't and collectively they have the occasional brain fart - but let's not ignore our strengths.

The football Smith has us playing is brilliant to watch - we're a growing club and we'll continue to add players - but the style, the pattern, those things are already very promising in terms of our future. Tonight was a frustrating loss - but in my opinion we've got a manager here who can take us places.

We're approaching the football we were playing in the Championship under Deano. When we go down, I'm not worried that we'll pull a goal back to get level at all. We create so many chances. David Moyes himself admitted we should have gotten something out of the game. Deano was unapologetic that we should have won. There was only 1 team in it in his words. That'll do for me. We can iron out the little kinks, but I'd much rather start from this position of strength than be in a position where we don't know what our patterns of play are, or worried about not creating enough chances. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Like I said we best West ham and Brighton but lose to Liverpool and Leicester and no one cares 

Expectations have gone a bit daft 

Keep us 10th and switch over the losses and wins and Smith would be getting praised for what he's building. 

The start really has sent some a bit loopy. 

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Think what pisses me off so much is that Martinez has had barely anything to do in these games. We're not even conceding that many chances, we're just conceding literally every time we do.

Yeah this is it. If you go off stats/XG (god forbid I know) the only difference between tonight and the games we kept clean sheets in were that West Ham were just more clinical. It's unfortunate but keep on like that and it and you have to think our luck will balance out. Our results are indicative of a mid-table side - which at best is what we are - but that our performances have largely deserved better remains encouraging for me.

Â