Dean Smith

Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

Over the last 4 gameweeks, Aston Villa has the highest xG (expected goals) in the league and the 5th best xGC (expected goals conceded) only behind CHE, MUN, MCI and TOT...

And yet our results have been LWLL. Cf Chelsea WWWD, Man U LWWW, Man C WDLW, Spurs WWWD.

So something is going badly wrong between form and results.

12 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

And yet our results have been LWLL. Cf Chelsea WWWD, Man U LWWW, Man C WDLW, Spurs WWWD.

Over a run of 3 or 4 games, there’s a fair bit of luck involved.

Sometimes everything goes your way (the 7 goals against Liverpool) and sometimes you can’t catch a break.

Teams tend to underperform xG because of bad finishing or slack defending/goalkeeping in the box. So there’s that as well (Watkins, Trez, whoever let Ogbonna go).

20 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I've been saying it for a while as well and completely agree with you.

This is where the youth comes in and Smith has to realise that his first eleven can not go all season long running at hundred percent. Smith is a good manager for Villa but he seems reluctant to play the youth unlike other clubs who will bring them on the field for time, even in front of fringe players. Squad depth is the problem and at the moment the only way to solve it is bring Ramsey, Vasilev, Barry, Revan (who seem a fine CB to me), Rowe who can play LB, LM and CM, Birch who can play DM and CM, would be an excellent rotation for Luiz. Look we ha e to accept that we can not play our first eleven constantly and we have to accept that rotation for recovery is needed, this is the time where you choose the games wisely to blood in those youth above. If those youth dont perform as good as expected that's okay, but they have had game time and even if loss occurs experienced is gained and first eleven player recovery begins.

For me it's a bloody no brainer to bring some youth in now before our players get so drained that we lose so many that were in a dogfight again, we have to be smart.

I don’t think many (if any) of those kids are physically ready unfortunately. Vassilev might be, but not clear he’s good enough. Ramsey looks class, but Smith doing right thing protecting him at the moment.

Barry is still far too immature physically, he’d get destroyed. And defence is the one area where we don’t really need to rotate.

I agree long term we need the youth players to start challenging for places, but I think it’ll take a while for the talent to start coming through after years of neglect. Hopefully we’ll see more of Ramsey soon - he has some class about him.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Squad depth is the problem and at the moment the only way to solve it is bring Ramsey, Vasilev, Barry, Revan (who seem a fine CB to me), Rowe who can play LB, LM and CM, Birch who can play DM and CM, would be an excellent rotation for Luiz.

Using youth is a lovely, romantic notion. The problem is it has to actually provide a benefit. Out of that lot I don't expect more than 2, at a push 3, to play above league 1 level for most of their careers.

Imo Revan, Rowe and Birch are already past an age with no 1st team football that I'd expect them to make any impact. I'd prefer to use Hause or Engels over Revan, Nakamba or Hourihane over the other 2 in midfield and I'm praying Targett doesn't get injured!

Barry is a way off physically.

Vassilev never showed any quality of note in his (admittedly very limited) appearances and is hardly tearing up league 1. 

Ramsey is probably ready to start being eased in a bit more and I hope he's looking to put on a bit of muscle.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

They also have world class attacks, we have Trezeguet and Watkins who are good but clearly not that level

9 hours ago, andym said:

6 attempts on target for a game is actually above average.

Trezeguet's chance was an absolute sitter.

Obviously shots on target doesnt take into account the missed penalty either

We created enough for at least a point, but if you dont convert those chances...

If we kept a clean sheet we created enough chances to win. Trez can score wonder goals and miss sitters which is why he will probably be moved on next summer.

You have to say the last 4 results have been disappointing, the next 4 need to be better

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Nobody has said we've regressed from last season.

I dont understand Trent what is so difficult to grasp about your posts. Defending in the last 4 games is worse than at the start. Its a simple statement

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

But we are talking about chances we created. You can't just ignore that. 

You're dismissing a penalty as being a good chance because we didn't hit the target. Do you know how insane that is?

If you hit the crossbar does that not count as being on target, genuine question.

10 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We've gone from.the Tika Tika era 70% Lambert pass completion to the XG era.

I just want 4 4 2 and the one who scores most goals is definitive winner era.

Mike Bassett - If on Make a GIF

• Like 1

Frustrating yes but some people are so melodramatic. 

They were lucky to win at home. We should of beaten them, we should of beaten Brighton. The performances are there just not the results. I'd be more worried if I was a West ham fan watching them last night. 

Still don't rate Trez and not sure Traore was the correct player for us but time will tell. 

Has any other team been robbed as much as in the 90th minute + ?

Palace

Brighton last week

West ham yesterday.  Its a bloody joke. I think we need to start getting together with other premier league clubs forums and find ways go protest of the removal of VAR.

Lets face it if fans start abandoning the game they will remove it. Its killing the game. Its dog manure

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Palace

Brighton last week

West ham yesterday.  Its a bloody joke. I think we need to start getting together with other premier league clubs forums and find ways go protest of the removal of VAR.

Lets face it if fans start abandoning the game they will remove it. Its killing the game. Its dog manure

It destroys the game, as soon as that penalty was called I expected it not to be given and then 10 minute build up I doubt helped Ollie. As soon as he scored I expected it to be chalked off, every time VAR gets involved you know it is going to basically **** us over.

Brighton have a player kicked on the foot in the area after the ball is gone and get a penalty a week after they kick Trez in the shins after the ball had gone and the penalty isn't given!

I thought VAR was supposed to stop those type of inconsistencies.

Not sure why people are getting so defensive of Dean and trying to deny that our defending has been getting steadily worse in the last 5 games, even if our attacking play has been sublime. 

Edited by VillanousOne

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Palace

Brighton last week

Excuses.

We were given a pen earlier which i didn't thought was a pen and we missed.

Can only blame ourselves for that.

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Excuses.

We were given a pen earlier which i didn't thought was a pen and we missed.

Can only blame ourselves for that.

Cant say its a excuse if it was incorrect decision  mate and ita consistently wrong.

12 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

It destroys the game, as soon as that penalty was called I expected it not to be given and then 10 minute build up I doubt helped Ollie. As soon as he scored I expected it to be chalked off, every time VAR gets involved you know it is going to basically **** us over.

Brighton have a player kicked on the foot in the area after the ball is gone and get a penalty a week after they kick Trez in the shins after the ball had gone and the penalty isn't given!

I thought VAR was supposed to stop those type of inconsistencies.

Not sure why people are getting so defensive of Dean and trying to deny that our defending has been getting steadily worse in the last 5 games, even if our attacking play has been sublime. 

And you know what frustrates me more? They get decisions like the fernandes one against us thats softer than both penalties yesterday given.

Its big time corruption. Ok it was bad before but this is 100x worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Cant say its a excuse if it was incorrect decision  mate and ita consistently wrong.

The pen that was given wasn't a pen.

Then a wrongfully decision went against us at the end.

To me it even itself out.

Reason we lost was because of us, not the ref or VAR.

You are only papering over the cracks.

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Palace

Brighton last week

I've posted this too many times on here. NRL Australian rugby league castigates refs in the media by the governing body and drops them to lower leagues for a game to think about what they've done for terrible errors that cost a team a game. PL refs are a protected species for years now. I remember Uriah Rennie getting dropped to lower leagues for howlers decades ago. You have absolute rocket polishers like Friend that had it in for us before KO against Palace last season and they get a free pass. Sick of it. PL is a joke in modern sports for official bias and terrible officiating

Edited by Kiwivillan

51 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The pen that was given wasn't a pen.

Then a wrongfully decision went against us at the end.

To me it even itself out.

Reason we lost was because of us, not the ref or VAR.

You are only papering over the cracks.

the player had hold of Trez's shirt and was pulling him back, was it a soft penalty? Probably, but if a player doesn't go down when impeded they don't get a penalty. Look at Ollie, if he had gone down he would have got a penalty, the contact ensured he was offside.

we are definitely our own worst enemy, but VAR is also a piece of utter cack.

• Like 1

I'm not that disheartened by things as many on here, but I just wanted to say that we leak goals on set pieces simply cause we don't challenge the ball. Both of West Hams goals yesterday are balls that never become a goal if you go into that challenge with conviction. We are just so soft in those challenges.

If you can't win it cleanly, make the the opponent doesn't.

Â