Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I've literally spoken about the last four games we've played - not about last season at all.  3 of which we've either dominated or, at the very least, been much the better side.

We've conceded 7 goals from the last 10 shots on target we've faced - 2 of which were absolute worldies from Ward-Prowse.  We don't give teams many chances and when they do happen, it's generally an individual error.  West Ham barely had anything.  Brighton barely had anything (even though we were poor that game), Arsenal barely had anything and Southampton bizarrely scored 4 from not really doing much.

To put it into context, Liverpool created much more against us and we beat them 7-2.  To be honest, it's freak stuff at the moment.

So in the Leeds, Southampton, Brighton and the game tonight you've not seen defensive errors creeping back into our game that had seemingly been stopped early on in the season.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Okay. So if our performances decline coming weeks compared to the start of the season that's progress because they are still better than last season even though they aren't as good as at the start of the season? Sorry that's nonsense.

There will always be dips in form. We finished 17th last season. 

If by the end, we've finished higher in the league then those dips don't matter, its part of a football season. 

We started the season in title winning form, if you didn't think there would be some regression in areas then I'm stunned. 

4 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Agreed. If the team consistently posts similar stats then it points to something systemic, not freaky or flukey.

We are creating loads of chances and are restricting opposition chances, that is clear. But then when we get a chance we rarely convert it. And conversely when the opposition get a chance we almost always concede.

I don't see anything freakish about these xg stats at all. They are merely pointing out our weaknesses. Dean and the coaching staff must identify why this is and address it.

I can help you with that sir.

We have plenty of shit players still hanging round the squad.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

There will always be dips in form. We finished 17th last season. 

If by the end, we've finished higher in the league then those dips don't matter, its part of a football season. 

We started the season in title winning form, if you didn't think there would be some regression in areas then I'm stunned. 

So now you agree we've regressed. Thanks, that was my point. So we agree.

• Haha 2

I follow a lot of FPL guys on Twitter and saw this..

74adc27c8cc7c7bbfee9ac3d734d813d.png

Best chances created and 5th best defence over the last few weeks. To say we aren't progressing is madness, we are playing well and if we keep it up we will see results. The squad depth is my only concern.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Okay. So if our performances decline coming weeks compared to the start of the season that's progress because they are still better than last season even though they aren't as good as at the start of the season? Sorry that's nonsense.

It's really not nonsense unless your idea of progress is extraordinarily short-sighted. If we continue to play this well as season and end up finishing anywhere from 10th-14th then it's definitely progress despite us winning those 4 games in succession and results subsequently falling off even though our performances largely deserved better. 

• Thanks 1

I feel like people would be happier with us shithousing 1-0's every few weeks. I'd much rather dominate games and be ruing games we should have won than worrying about where our next goal is coming from. The former is promising and requires a few tweaks to get the balance right and cut out sloppy errors, the latter is a systemic issue that would lead to yet another managerial change that people seem to be itching for.

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

Enough to win the game, not sure how many times I need to repeat myself. 

Well quite clearly not enough. Players miss chances, if we had such control of the game without creating very few chances then the changes in the game should have been made Soo we don't you think.

So now you agree we've regressed. Thanks, that was my point. So we agree.

We've regressed from the point you seem to demand we all focus on. Yes, we aren't playing like a team that will win the league remaining undefeated. Not sure that's worth getting annoyed about  

In my opinion we've progressed loads from last season. Our form will always be up and down all through the year, thats just football. 

2 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Best chances created and 5th best defence over the last few weeks. To say we aren't progressing is madness, we are playing well and if we keep it up we will see results. The squad depth is my only concern.

Its only fans on here who can't see it. Madness. 

Just now, Indigo said:

It's really not nonsense unless your idea of progress is extraordinarily short-sighted. If we continue to play this well as season and end up finishing anywhere from 10th-14th then it's definitely progress despite us winning those 4 games in succession and results subsequently falling off even though our performances largely deserved better. 

This is beyond daft. I've not said we've not progressed since last season and I don't expect continuous progress.

But right now, in the last few games we haven't been progressing, defensive lapses have returned so that element of our game and in turn our results have regressed. That can't be disputed.

I

• Like 1

So in the Leeds, Southampton, Brighton and the game tonight you've not seen defensive errors creeping back into our game that had seemingly been stopped early on in the season.

Nice hand picked selection of games there.  Besides, Leeds was early in the season.

I think we've had defensive errors in pretty much every game we've played this season.  Sometimes they've been punished, sometimes they haven't.  However, what I think has changed is that we're not as open as we were earlier in the season.  I think you're probably mis-remembering things because results were better.  Sheff Utd missed a penalty against us in a game where we didn't actually do that much despite playing against 10 men.  Fulham were awful and missed clear cut chances.  The game against Liverpool was a freak and ridiculously open all over the place - they actually created quite a lot.

Since those opening three games, I think we've generally looked a lot more assured all over the pitch and have switched from wanting open games to dictating possession and looking to create chances with more considered build-up play.  For me, we've been defensively better overall - despite individual errors happening which have been happening for a long time.

So, yes, I think we're improving and I'm genuinely pretty surprised you think the opposite.

Just now, mykeyb said:

How many strikes on target did our possession get us..........?

We missed a sitter, a penalty and the VAR-farce at the end should have been another penalty at the worst. Not to mention a few other half-chances.

I'm not sure how many chances you are expecting to be created in a game, particularly one where the other side has no real intention of doing anything other than stifling you. 

I thought Smith had run his course pre-lockdown but what we are seeing now is so much different. I'm not worried at all if we continue to put in performances like that every week, sides aren't going to score from every ball they put into the box and our players aren't going to continue to miss every chance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Going backwards pal.  Going backwards.

• Haha 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

Its only fans on here who can't see it. Madness. 

6 shots on target tonight, scoring one. West Ham scored with their two attempts.

66% possession. You would hope with such domination we would have done better.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've regressed from the point you seem to demand we all focus on. Yes, we aren't playing like a team that will win the league remaining undefeated. Not sure that's worth getting annoyed about  

In my opinion we've progressed loads from last season. Our form will always be up and down all through the year, thats just football. 

Let's hope there's some more ups soon then, cos losing, however it happens, can 'set in'.

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Its December in a couple of hours we really need to stop comparisons with last season.

Defensive issues have crept back into our game having seemingly been ironed out, its fairly clear to see.

See I don’t think they were ironed out, we just went more solid/defensive which stifled our attack.  Targett is still not good enough, Mings is prone to errors trying outlandish cruyff turns and things, Konsa while developing well still looks naive sometimes and looks to Mings too often.  They are improving but one game is good, one is bad.  There isn’t a leader at the back.

Â