Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Wezbid said:

4 or 5 deals is still a good amount.

Martinez, Rashica, Traore still leaves room for a CM and another striker or defender. I like it.

It's like they have decided to rip up Susos plan to shreds. lol

Although was it Purslow who spoke of "One side to stay up, one side to solidify, then another to push on"? Or was that Wyness days?

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Although was it Purslow who spoke of "One side to stay up, one side to solidify, then another to push on"? Or was that Wyness days?

I'm hoping Purslow, so much has happened in such a short time that I forget what's what sometimes.

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

From the Guardian article on Jacks new deal. What do y’all think Deano is implying here?

“We’re planning this season around Jack as one of our core players, along with John McGinn, who’s like having a new signing now that he’s back at full speed, Tyrone Mings and Douglas Luiz, who finished the season fantastically,” said Smith. “If we could bring in another four or five quality players that only makes the squad better. That ups the training levels and match levels. Jack Grealish will look a better player with better players.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/15/jack-grealish-signs-new-five-year-aston-villa-contract

@Okonokos here’s the quote @JAMAICAN-VILLAN referred to in the Rashica thread. I was wondering too. I imagine it’s the 3 we know about Martinez, Traore and Rashica, then hopefully 2 more. A striker and midfielder. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wasnt that Xia quote? 

19 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

The second season is ALWAYS harder than the first because now our/your players are known and you dont take anyone by suprise as every team has already played you twice.

Even we’ll have not seen up to four of the starting eleven play yet, so not sure that follows after another season of signing a few players. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Is he saying Trez and El Ghazi is shit?

Why does he need to say it when it's quite obvious. Everyone on this forum agrees, we need quality wingers, badly. Just look at the Rashica thread. Nothing but the skinniest of rumors and that thread is well on its way to 300 pages 🤦🏽‍♂️

I think other teams' fans are going to start taking Dean Smith more seriously next season. A lot of people wrongly thought that he did a bad job with huge financial resources, but don't understand how thinly those resources were spread, and how little time he had to work with the players.

The players really seem to like him - and most importantly, the *good* players seem to really like him. Jack wouldn't be staying at Villa if he thought Smith was holding his career back.

• Like 4

He really is such a bloody top man. Huge credit to him for not throwing Suso, and the system, under the bus. He easily could have now the personnel have been revamped so heavily.

Imagine some other managers in this position. As usual, it would be total self-preservation. 

I would have replaced him the week after we stayed up personally. Incredibly harsh, but these owners mean business and I have doubts over too many things. He performed successive miracles and has comfortably been the best manager in 10 years. It's not that I think he can't do more, I was wondering if he could do it as soon as I reckon these owners will think he should.

The backing is quite frightening but he'll still need time to bed signings in. In theory, we should be laughing in terms of relegation IMO. With a player as good as Jack, you only need average players round him and he'll yank you up the league. We had far too many poor ones last season.

All the best Deano.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

He really is such a bloody top man. Huge credit to him for not throwing Suso, and the system, under the bus. He easily could have now the personnel have been revamped so heavily.

Imagine some other managers in this position. As usual, it would be total self-preservation. 

I would have replaced him the week after we stayed up personally. Incredibly harsh, but these owners mean business and I have doubts over too many things. He performed successive miracles and has comfortably been the best manager in 10 years. It's not that I think he can't do more, I was wondering if he could do it as soon as I reckon these owners will think he should.

The backing is quite frightening but he'll still need time to bed signings in. In theory, we should be laughing in terms of relegation IMO. With a player as good as Jack, you only need average players round him and he'll yank you up the league. We had far too many poor ones last season.

All the best Deano.

Top post

I said I would have pulled the trigger after promotion again for the reasons you have stated. However I am being won over by him. I sincerely hope he brings a trophy or two back to Villa Park. Dare I dream of seeing my club winning the league title one day with a Villa fan manager and Villa fan captain?   

UTV 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

He has probably earned the right of getting another season.

At the same time Southampton and Leicester were ruthless with their managers after "just surviving"

They are now top 10 clubs.

I’ll be surprised if we finish higher than 15th. 

I can see us getting **** by injuries again.

10 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Top post

I said I would have pulled the trigger after promotion again for the reasons you have stated. However I am being won over by him. I sincerely hope he brings a trophy or two back to Villa Park. Dare I dream of seeing my club winning the league title one day with a Villa fan manager and Villa fan captain?   

UTV 

We dream the same dream, however in my version I am better looking, have a much larger penis and have to beat the totty off with a shitty stick

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

All the best Deano.

Spot on.

Re: getting rid of him - I don't think we as fans realise just how popular he is. Not just in that 'boss' way, but players really seem to like him, rate him and want to work for him. Especially Jack, which is very important. 

He's confident enough to allow Terry to be appointed; he's also happy to have Shakespeare come in - an ex-manager who could be seen as a threat to him, but he knows it will improve the coaching, therefore the squad and team, and therefore make his own position more secure. 

I am more confident in him now than at any point previously. 

• Like 2

Â