Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Tumblerseven said:

If we get into relegation battle and Ollie Watkins is a flop hes 120% gone.

Agreed. 

I'm convinced that the lessons of last season (missing out on maupay @ 20m) were learnt and the board and Smith have accepted that fees must be paid for whoever you want.  And getting who you didn't want doesn't work. 

Still think it means that Smith is hanging his job on the fact that the Watkins money is worth spending, and think the board have agreed to fund it on a condition that if he doesn't deliver it's on Smith's head.

I am expecting a better mentality this season.

Games and performances like Leicester away and SU away totally unacceptable.

I can accept getting beat to a better team. But i cannot accept us to roll over and not showing fight and desire.

I cannot accept players giving up everytime we concede a goal and the going gets tough.

Edited by villalad21

On 08/09/2020 at 16:53, Tumblerseven said:

If we get into relegation battle and Ollie Watkins is a flop hes 120% gone.

You have obviously never seen him play in live matches, He will not flop, can't speak for any other one in your team, as I have never seen them live.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jareth said:

What does the extra 20% consist of? A kick up the bum after he's been pushed out of BMH? 

I see it as he gets told to leave the training ground, then just as he gets to his car, a smiling Deano shouts only joking mate, come on back here you daft sod. Only for Watkins to see Dean’s face change as he says, you forgot your shorts - now piss off! 

Upon reflection, that’s probably more than 20%, and I should have better things to do than imagine scenarios like this on a sunny Sunday afternoon. 

• Haha 2

With Martinez and at least one more forward player to come - another season of struggle won't be tolerated.

Got to be totally honest - I still have my doubts about him defensively.

However he has proved me wrong before, and he's a great bloke - here's hoping he continues to prove me wrong !

On 13/09/2020 at 15:42, jonjon said:

You have obviously never seen him play in live matches, He will not flop, can't speak for any other one in your team, as I have never seen them live.

Don't worry mate, I think you're not alone in never seeing a Villa player live. In fact, from some of the things you read on here, there may be a few that's never seen them at all. 

• Like 2

On 13/09/2020 at 13:04, villalad21 said:

I am expecting a better mentality this season.

Games and performances like Leicester away and SU away totally unacceptable.

I can accept getting beat to a better team. But i cannot accept us to roll over and not showing fight and desire.

I cannot accept players giving up everytime we concede a goal and the going gets tough.

I don't think we really gave up in any games last season. There were games where we were outclassed but that can be expected. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I don't think we really gave up in any games last season. There were games where we were outclassed but that can be expected. 

Bournemouth away. Day before they all went off on their winter break. Not interested and it showed. Also, Southampton away before cup final. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Bournemouth away. Day before they all went off on their winter break. Not interested and it showed. Also, Southampton away before cup final. 

I get the odd occasion but generally we were the third best team promoted with half a team and then had to buy loads of players at a low average cost so it looked a lot of money but per player wasn’t.  

We then had to play established teams with many teams having world class players and then people question why we are second best to everything.  To some it looked like effort but I suggest most of the time we were just outclassed, we had too many new playing who were also learning the league, language and each other....

Judgement should be more on this season.

Edited by nick76

Watford away ... he deserved firing before the players had even got back to the dressing room... there were a lot of inept performances from his team ... but importantly after lockdown he got his team to deliver the results so he gets to start another season as manager .... if the signings all come off though I suspect  17th won’t save him again.

34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

To me, yes.

But apparently not to most on this site.

If we are 17th at times through the season you will be at Smith’s throat as usual even though he’s meeting your expectation.  

You’ll say some of the performances are too bad but by being 17th you are expecting a lot more bad than good, a likely 9 wins, 8 draws with 21 defeats including some heavy defeats.  No way are you not going to be regularly on Smith’s back if that happens.....yet he’ll be on your target for the season.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

Â