Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I don't think us staying up or going down will have any bearing on whether he gets the sack, under normal circumstances it probably would, but with the season only being seven weeks away, I think a decision on his future will have already been made, whether that's him staying or going.

Although if he does stay I think he will have to get off to a decent start, in the championship we will be expecting to challenge top two, or if we somehow manage to stay up then owners will want to at least see some form of improvement.

• Like 1

I haven't ever been a big fan of Smith but I did say at the start of the season that his one and only job was to keep us up, I would have got rid of him a while ago because I was resigned to the fact that we were down (we still could be, it certainly isn't a formality that we will stay up) if we do manage to keep our premier league status then he has earned another chance, I would have preferred it if it wasn't another last ditch run like last season though, it doesn't do my **** health any good at all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

if you properly read my post I was talking about next season.

Yes I understood that. My response was to highlight that we have already seen massive progression from 14th in the Championship and every reason to think that will continue

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Yes I understood that. My response was to highlight that we have already seen massive progression from 14th in the Championship and every reason to think that will continue

We have improved since lockdown. We look much more like a settled team now. He seems to have settled on a formation that suits the players and our selections have been much more consistent. The form of some players has certainly improved as a result.

It is so hard to know how much of the above is down to coaching and players having time to settle  as opposed to playing in empty stadiums against teams with little motivation. 

I am still in the, we should change him if a suitable person is available who is a significant improvement, camp. If that person is not available then we should continue as we are.

After the Arsenal game Richards said that he had found Smith to be too nice to the players especially after defeat. This is my greatest nagging doubt. The best managers need to be feared and loved in equal measure. Can Dean be ruthless enough to re-establish us in the PL? Or get us back up if we go down? I am not convinced either way at the moment but I don’t want us to take anymore gambles. Either appoint a top coach or stick with what we have.

• Like 1

How can we sack him if we stay up? Promoted in his first season, cup final and staying in the prem in his second. Yes, its been poor at times but that's to be expected with the players we have- no proven striker ffs. 

I think if we stay up he stays on, and possibly if we are relegated too. 

Green shoots are here, let's try and build on it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We have improved since lockdown. We look much more like a settled team now. He seems to have settled on a formation that suits the players and our selections have been much more consistent. The form of some players has certainly improved as a result.

It is so hard to know how much of the above is down to coaching and players having time to settle  as opposed to playing in empty stadiums against teams with little motivation. 

I am still in the, we should change him if a suitable person is available who is a significant improvement, camp. If that person is not available then we should continue as we are.

After the Arsenal game Richards said that he had found Smith to be too nice to the players especially after defeat. This is my greatest nagging doubt. The best managers need to be feared and loved in equal measure. Can Dean be ruthless enough to re-establish us in the PL? Or get us back up if we go down? I am not convinced either way at the moment but I don’t want us to take anymore gambles. Either appoint a top coach or stick with what we have.

It is possible that empty stadiums have relieved the pressure from fans and helped our performances although that ‘advantage’ would apply to every team in the relegation zone.
Personally, As we had a majority of home games I feel we lost the home advantage of a roaring Villa Park - so for me and net loss not net gain

I think most fans ( of most clubs tbh) are in the “I would change managers if a significant improvement is available”. I’m pleased with the job DS and his team are doing but if Jurgen Klopp suddenly expressed an interest it would be an easy decision.

Finally, I set no store at all in what Micah Richards had to say, Did he played matches under Smith? I’m not sure he has much or any match day experience in the dressing room. Whatever, Different personalities manage differently - Smith may not bawl and shout 24/7 but I’m 100% confident that he has a very tough side when required (John Terry one of the most combative defenders in PL history appears to have plenty of respect for him) 

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

It is possible that empty stadiums have relieved the pressure from fans and helped our performances although that ‘advantage’ would apply to every team in the relegation zone.
Personally, As we had a majority of home games I feel we lost the home advantage of a roaring Villa Park - so for me and net loss not net gain

I think at home the fans certainly would have helped us but not sure if we would have managed the 2 points at Everton or Newcastle.  I wonder if Luiz’s change in form has been due to less pressure from fans?

7 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I think most fans ( of most clubs tbh) are in the “I would change managers if a significant improvement is available”. I’m pleased with the job DS and his team are doing but if Jurgen Klopp suddenly expressed an interest it would be an easy decision.

Finally, I set no store at all in what Micah Richards had to say, Did he played matches under Smith? I’m not sure he has much or any match day experience in the dressing room. Whatever, Different personalities manage differently - Smith may not bawl and shout 24/7 but I’m 100% confident that he has a very tough side when required (John Terry one of the most combative defenders in PL history appears to have plenty of respect for him) 

This bit about Micah is spot on, how the **** would he know what Dean is like on a match day? 

• Haha 1

I'm hesitant to draw any big conclusions, good or bad regarding how we and other teams have looked after the restart.

For a lot of teams it's basically a prolonged pre-season and the football have looked like pre-season football. The tempo is generally lower, the intensity and sharpness too. The fitness level with players also seem generally poorer, especially when it comes to match fitness. I'm sure a few will have even better test values than normal thou.

Some of the top teams fight for CL places while others just try to be match fit for the upcoming CL finals. A few of the mid table teams are clearly on the beach while the bottom teams, us included are highly motivated but nervous and frankly where they are for a reason.

It's been the same in games from whichever league I've watched since the restart and the no fans is no doubt a part of the reason. But a lot of the players (and maybe managers as well) are not 100% motivated and are just going through the motions so they can start focusing on the next season and get this farce over with. 

Hopefully Wet Spam has switched to that mode already.

Edited by sne

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think at home the fans certainly would have helped us but not sure if we would have managed the 2 points at Everton or Newcastle.  I wonder if Luiz’s change in form has been due to less pressure from fans?

I'm pretty sure we would have gone down if Villa Park was full.  It would have been poisonous by the Utd game, especially if this forum is anything to go by.  People telling Dean to '**** off out of our club' despite being a lifelong fan who saved us by getting promoted before we probably should have.

1 hour ago, chrisvilla4 said:

How can we sack him if we stay up? Promoted in his first season, cup final and staying in the prem in his second. Yes, its been poor at times but that's to be expected with the players we have- no proven striker ffs. 

Leicester sacked Ranieri who won the league season before.

Of course you can sack him. But to me it all depends who is available.

Dyche or Hughton? No thanks. Then i'd rather stick with Smith for now. We need to aim big. Gallardo or Pochettino.

Edited by villalad21

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-lazio-west-ham-18658618

'Nail someone' - The Serie A side behind Aston Villa's newfound defence which could cement survival

Smith, meanwhile, has detailed how he sat his defenders down during the lockdown period and drew up a master plan which included analysing the likes of champions Liverpool, Man City and Italian side Lazio - the latter conceding just 38 goals in 35 games prior to Serie A curtailing.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Possibly so but if there is A significantly better manager available and interested in the job then may be a consideration . A big IF . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

This bit about Micah is spot on, how the **** would he know what Dean is like on a match day? 

He was talking about after the match, that could inc the training ground on Monday.....He was on the payroll, he was privvy to things....but its only his opinion.

He seems to know a fair bit about Man City too....and he doesn't work there.....they have connections.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, VillaCas said:

JT is nice to everyone.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

He was talking about after the match, that could inc the training ground on Monday.....He was on the payroll, he was privvy to things....but its only his opinion.

He seems to know a fair bit about Man City too....and he doesn't work there.....they have connections.

Micah used to be in and around the dressing room on match days as smith himself said he helped morale 

19 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m still not convinced with Smith even if he keeps us up. But he would probably deserve another season in charge. 

Exactly how I see it. I am still desperately rooting for him to succeed, while aware its yet to become clear if that's ever going to happen.

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm pretty sure we would have gone down if Villa Park was full.  It would have been poisonous by the Utd game, especially if this forum is anything to go by.  People telling Dean to '**** off out of our club' despite being a lifelong fan who saved us by getting promoted before we probably should have.

But this forum is a bad measure of opinion imo.

Several online polls have shown support for Smith staying even if we got relegated. Pre lockdown there was no hint of the crowd turning on DS.

6 hours ago, M_Afro said:

It's not no joke that of you push people to the brink that you can get the best out of individuals, the world's army's do it, right down to chefs in the kitchens. There is a pro and con to pushing people to the brink by being tough on them, some it can have wonderful lasting effects in life, others in can leave scared to Carry on the thing they adored. I think as long as the teaching doesnt stop and you know when to do it and not to, then its ok so long as the people your in charge with understand it's a cut throat business and football is.

Being to soft isn't the answer and Smith has to show some aggression other than pointing it towards VAR and officials.

The inexperienced are always led to greatness and to better themselves if those who have experience above them are always both commanding, thoughtful and mindful at the sametime.

Edited by Dave-R

Â