Dean Smith

Demitri_C

46 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

It's not no joke that of you push people to the brink that you can get the best out of individuals, the world's army's do it, right down to chefs in the kitchens. There is a pro and con to pushing people to the brink by being tough on them, some it can have wonderful lasting effects in life, others in can leave scared to Carry on the thing they adored. I think as long as the teaching doesnt stop and you know when to do it and not to, then its ok so long as the people your in charge with understand it's a cut throat business and football is.

Being to soft isn't the answer and Smith has to show some aggression other than pointing it towards VAR and officials.

The inexperienced are always led to greatness and to better themselves if those who have experience above them are always both commanding, thoughtful and mindful at the sametime.

Yeah but you can’t compare footballers to soldiers. One group are a bunch of idiots who just happen to have found the one thing they can do and get paid for for a few years before they spend decades struggling to adapt to normal life, and the other group are...

(Just joking, I’m a military brat before anyone gets offended on behalf of the military... not related to any footballers though haha...)

8 hours ago, chrisvilla4 said:

How can we sack him if we stay up? Promoted in his first season, cup final and staying in the prem in his second. Yes, its been poor at times but that's to be expected with the players we have- no proven striker ffs. 

I think if we stay up he stays on, and possibly if we are relegated too. 

Green shoots are here, let's try and build on it.

We've had some major injuries which exposed how little depth we have in the squad...

Heaton, McGinn, Wesley, & Engels were all out for large stretches of the season.  Those are 4 players who are all key players for us and some of the first names on the team sheet.  Our form has been much much better since the restart, mostly due to McGinn coming back, Douglas Luiz finally getting settled with English life, and a lot of defensive work/coaching by the staff during the break.  

Deano also isn't the finished article as a coach, either.  He's still fairly young for a coach and he's shown to me after this COVID break that he can learn from his mistakes and tweak things to get the team improving again.  I still think Deano's system will work much better once we get some better wingers and Wesley's movement gets worked on during the offseason.  El Ghazi is lazy and Trez is garbage.  Need to get two more players who can take on a man and hit them with some pace on the counter.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisvilla4 said:

How can we sack him if we stay up? Promoted in his first season, cup final and staying in the prem in his second. Yes, its been poor at times but that's to be expected with the players we have- no proven striker ffs. 

I think if we stay up he stays on, and possibly if we are relegated too. 

Green shoots are here, let's try and build on it.

We probably couldn't.

But if the board thought that Smith couldn't take us forward and/or there was a significantly better option available then I'd be fine with him being sacked.

We should be looking forward, not rewarding people (in this way) for what they've done in the past.

I don't want him sacked by the way, but I don't like the backwards looking approach most clubs take

3 hours ago, hippo said:

But this forum is a bad measure of opinion imo.

Several online polls have shown support for Smith staying even if we got relegated. Pre lockdown there was no hint of the crowd turning on DS.

Spurs fans never turned on poch though either ,  it’s owners however who sack managers sometimes against fans wishes , 

percy is extremely reliable on villa news and he was reporting smith as on the brink before the Chelsea game in March 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Yeah but you can’t compare footballers to soldiers. One group are a bunch of idiots who just happen to have found the one thing they can do and get paid for for a few years before they spend decades struggling to adapt to normal life, and the other group are...

(Just joking, I’m a military brat before anyone gets offended on behalf of the military... not related to any footballers though haha...)

Think you missed the point entirely, I'm not comparing footballers to military, in all sorts of lines of work humans are put under complete stress by those above them and it can bring the best out of a person or people. You usually find that people are very resilient when it comes to those in charge of them being tough while teaching them at the same time but be tough without teaching and dont do it right you can end up breaking someone in more ways than one. 

Smith appears to soft in front of our eyes yes, though we do not know how he is behind closed doors. There have been some moments where he or even those above Smith should of disciplined certain players and it appears nothing had happened to them, so yeah a soft approach is not good where discipline is needed.

What I dont get about smith and co is for most of the season we have been largely weak because of his inability to change a game during a match, yet he goes and un-does the Arsenal Coach just like that with a change at each half in formation.

I've not noticed us making changes much like that this season but it really helped against the gunners.

You could also see him getting involved more with the players during tactics break, something I actually do think should become a thing because it can give lower less performing teams the chance to undo a top of the league team i think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

What I dont get about smith and co is for most of the season we have been largely weak because of his inability to change a game during a match, yet he goes and un-does the Arsenal Coach just like that with a change at each half in formation.

I've not noticed us making changes much like that this season but it really helped against the gunners.

You could also see him getting involved more with the players during tactics break, something I actually do think should become a thing because it can give lower less performing teams the chance to undo a top of the league team i think. 

To be fair Arteta is a rookie.

But i agree he were pro active for once. Very happy with that. Long may it continue.

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Spurs fans never turned on poch though either ,  it’s owners however who sack managers sometimes against fans wishes , 

percy is extremely reliable on villa news and he was reporting smith as on the brink before the Chelsea game in March 

That's a different point though. The point I was responding to was that VP would have got toxic from DS if fans were still able to attend.

I think they will stick with because even if we go down it will be by the narrowest of margins.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

To be fair Arteta is a rookie.

But i agree he were pro active for once. Very happy with that. Long may it continue.

As opposed to the 20+ years Dean has coached in the PL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I jokingly mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, but in the early stages of the season he in fact was.

Jack and Co were constantly switching sides and interchanging.

Then the fear kicked in?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I jokingly mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, but in the early stages of the season he in fact was.

Jack and Co were constantly switching sides and interchanging.

Then the fear kicked in?

I think the fear was a big factor. The last three games is our best run of the season, if we had managed to do that earlier it could have changed the whole dynamic of our season. 

• Like 1

For me too much gets made of his In game changes and tactics. When we win they were good, when we lose the were poor.  If that header that hit the post went in the fans would have found a way to blame his tactics or substitutions. The same way they did against Everton when I thought we played well and lost the 3 points due to a defensive lapse.

Its such fine margins in this league.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For me too much gets made of his In game changes and tactics. When we win they were good, when we lose the were poor.  If that header that hit the post went in the fans would have found a way to blame his tactics or substitutions. The same way they did against Everton when I thought we played well and lost the 3 points due to a defensive lapse.

Its such fine margins in this league.

Yeah the whole "in game management" thing is so overplayed on this forum.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Too much championship manager I think. (Or whatever it’s call these days).

Fifa 20 soon to be 21🤣

• Haha 1

Modern coaching is not like 20-30 years ago and you treat athletes like an army unit. Each athlete has to be treated like an individual and it is the coaches responsibility to meld those individual personalities into the team unit. You challenge each athlete individually, but also within the framework of their positions within the team.

Its easy to look from the outside and say a coach should be doing this and that, but you don’t know what is going on on the training field and behind close doors and how this effects the decisions for game day. I believe Smith has been a little naive in his first season in the PL, but it’s whether he learns and grows from those experiences that matter.

Theres not a lot of difference from where the club is and being a top 10 team. When it’s confirmed today we will remain a PL team for next season, we make the right 5-6 signings, we should be close to cracking the top 10.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah the whole "in game management" thing is so overplayed on this forum.

Absolutely. Its ridiculous and its always the same. Teams only ever score because smith doesn't change his tactics.

Â