Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Dean deserves to keep his job, regardless of the league we're in next season. No one should be a victim of their own success - promoting us earlier than anyone had anticipated and then having to do such an enormous rebuilding job. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, tinker said:

He seems to have given us progression so far.  It's easy to miss it from inside the washing machine of emotions supporting villa gives us, I'm as bad as anyone , one bad result or poor decision and I'm pissed.

However when I stagger back and look at  what has actually happened over the last 18 months...it's been nothing short of miraculous

Promotion, cup final , record amount of wins, rebuilding a team from nothing with a  director of football helping to pick players. If it was any other clubs manager then I would see it more objectively.

On paper yes.

Point i am making is you can't keep conceding 70 goals every season. Eventually your luck will run out. 2nd worst team on defensive set pieces as well. That's just basics and not good enough.

If we do stay up we need to see these major flaws rectified.

The thing i'm getting at is context. If we are still conceding 60-70 goals next season that's simply unacceptable.

Edited by villalad21

On 11/08/2019 at 09:54, DCJonah said:

We don't need.

Fans need to get these stupid ideas of us finishing higher out of their heads.

If we finish higher then great. But there is one goal this year and that is to finish 17th. 

As a club we need to change our mindset for 12 months. Never before has 17th been an achievement, so i get why people will struggle to change but we really need to. 

said it nearly a year ago and still stand by it. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

On paper yes.

Point i am making is you can't keep conceding 70 goals every season. Eventually your luck will run out. 2nd worst team on defensive set pieces as well. That's just basics and not good enough.

If we do stay up we need to see these major flaws rectified.

The thing i'm getting at is context. If we are still conceding 60-70 goals next season that's simply unacceptable.

Have you not been watching Villa games since lockdown?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DCJonah said:

When? 

In our 2nd game we conceded 2 comical goals. 

In our 4th game, palace bullied us.

Then we couldn't beat a 10 man west ham team.

I keep reading this, as a way to complain about smith, but its just rubbish. 

Defensively we are better, luiz, konza and trez are much better than they were earlier in the year and our performance in the last game is arguably the best of the season. So when were we much better?

And if Nketiah's header had gone in no positivity would be around. The performance wouldn't have been good. Smith was clueless again etc etc.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Fair f***ing play if he keeps us up.

But we absolutely cannot be in this situation next season. Have to see progression.

Can't keep conceding 60+ goals every season.

Agree but to be fair post lockdown restart we have actually looked OK defensively, much better now. Konsa for one is starting to look really good in this league.. Just need to win no matter what on Sunday and evaluate what happens next.. as it stands we can still go down which is frustrating so hopefully get the result on Sunday. If we stay up I’d have to admit I was wrong and it’s been a successful season, I said from the start I would take a 17th place finish and we are on course to get that (albeit in strange nervous ways)

10 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

As long we we don’t get relegated and he keeps taking us to Wembley every year he will be ok.

One trip to the green a season required to keep fans onside.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, striker said:

Have you not been watching Villa games since lockdown?

Yes and we've been much improved. I applaud that.

Doesn't mean we should ignore everything that happened prior to the lockdown.

To me it's unacceptable how the players lost belief after Man Utd scored. Even Smith admitting to it in his post match interview is even more worrying.

I think I've said this somewhere before but there are only two other managers out there that I would want (and who I think we could actually get).

One is Rafa and the other is Marcello Gallardo. Aside from them, Dean deserves to stay in the job.

I think he has proven very capable and was up against very tough circumstances.

Massive injuries to key players and a huge rebuilding job due to getting promoted ahead of schedule. The improvement since lockdown should be applauded too. Results aside we have tightened up at the back and we have become more competitive. Lacking firepower up top is obvious and just something that hasn't worked out in his favour.  

5 minutes ago, Bomvilla7 said:

I think I've said this somewhere before but there are only two other managers out there that I would want (and who I think we could actually get).

One is Rafa and the other is Marcello Gallardo. Aside from them, Dean deserves to stay in the job.

I think he has proven very capable and was up against very tough circumstances.

Massive injuries to key players and a huge rebuilding job due to getting promoted ahead of schedule. The improvement since lockdown should be applauded too. Results aside we have tightened up at the back and we have become more competitive. Lacking firepower up top is obvious and just something that hasn't worked out in his favour.  

You wouldn't want Pochettino then?

19 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Fair f***ing play if he keeps us up.

But we absolutely cannot be in this situation next season. Have to see progression.

Can't keep conceding 60+ goals every season.

Took over a 14th place team and took them to promotion

5th place in the Championship to (hopefully) 17th place in the PL

Is that enough progression for you (or are we special and should expect more?)

7 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Took over a 14th place team and took them to promotion

5th place in the Championship to (hopefully) 17th place in the PL

Is that enough progression for you (or are we special and should expect more?)

if you properly read my post I was talking about next season.

Â