Dean Smith

Demitri_C

18 hours ago, TRO said:

we were better in the early part of the season......Jack himself was on fire for most of the season carrying us.....since lockdown, his form has dipped, but he found it again last night.....as did many others too, thankfully.

No, one is proposing to out think the manager at all......folk on here give their views, some are stronger than others, granted.....but if you think folk who spend fortunes following Villa, know nothing, or not worth listening too, you would be wrong.

In our 40,000 odd crowd, is some learned football people, with views worth heading....Deans opinion is the only one that matters, granted, in terms of team selection, but he is not always right as 21 defeats are testimony.....last night he got it right, lets hope he repeats it on Sunday.....but don't lose sight, that the opinions of fans is worth their weight too.....on both sides of the debates.

You’re missing the point on the first argument and misquoting me on the second

Its not Jacks form that I was talking about, it was the form of all those getting used to PL football

I also didn’t say that ‘fans know nothing’ - my point was that coaching staff who spend all week with the players and have comprehensive analytics may be able to make a more informed decision than the average armchair fan

Finally, there are very many factors in addition to team selection that lead to a defeat - the ability of those you are choosing from in particular 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I like Smith and he has certainly gotten the tactics right in the last few games but right now his substitutes remain iffy. 

You say this like it’s a fact! We’ve got very little quality on the bench so it’s understandable that Smith decides to keep the better players on the pitch

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

You say this like it’s a fact! We’ve got very little quality on the bench so it’s understandable that Smith decides to keep the better players on the pitch

And how many times has it cost us this season where we are under the cosh and you can see we are about to concede but Smith doesn't make the change. We then concede and he brings on nakamba a defensive midfielder often taking off hourihane in the process who is generally our best chance to score outside of jack.

Edited by MotoMkali

On 22/07/2020 at 14:57, WakefieldVillan said:

A Leeds fan I work with has just said that first thing we need to do regardless of whether we stay up is to get rid of Smith. I was like, oh right, really, what makes you think that? He said well, he’s crap ain’t he, he’s not up to it. I said but why do you think that? His response “well he got lucky last year, shouldn’t have gone up, defense is crap blah blah”. I pointed out our 10-game winning streak and that he achieved promotion quicker than Bielsa (who is a Leeds God), “ah but he’s crap.....”🙄

I am not sure if that is a "Leeds" thing more than anything else as another one of their fans said this morning on a text “I don’t mind Villa (re-staying up) but hope they sack Smith. Which I found quite bizarre.

Anyway, it is waffle like that which makes me want him to succeed even more. At least back up the argument with something productive, with some knowledge of why he (in their opinion) is not very good. Stinks of bitterness to be honest.

As for Smith, I would keep him regardless of which division were plying our trade – Unless were a Premier League club and we can get a real coup like Poch! I do think that this is probably one thing against Smith, is not being the "big name manager" that can attract star players.

But just like our squad, he is learning all the time and yes it hasn’t all been good, far from it, but I think tactically he isn’t bad at all, he selects teams that I generally agree with, the team spirit seems to be just fine and if we finish one place above the drop zone (with the cup final day out to boot) then he has earned another season to have a shot at IMO.

I have not got a problem with Deans, low profile name......He can create a name for himself, just like Wilder has, (he has to keep it up of course)

If he wins enough games, his profile will rise, he can be the big name if he does things right......I am not comparing status ,just principle, but Klopp came in as a good German manager, he is now a Liverpool Legend......Ron Saunders was not a big name, he made one with us.

I seen a different Dean the other night, more confident, less dithery....I hope he shows a bit more of a deliberate outlook, a bit more matter of fact and stern at times.

No one wants him to succeed more than me.....and I suspect every Villa Fan feels the same....because if he does, it means we are winning.....No one wants to keep changing managers, but if you keep losing there is not much option.

I don't know about the learning bit, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.....but I do see a team, that is less likely to roll over.....confidence does affect managers too, I was delighted for him, Tuesday night.

I know its a cliche, but if he can find a way for us to win more games, he will make his own level of importance at Villa Park and then be relied upon to make more of his own decisions.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Anyone know where they sit? It’s never the people around me ;)

I sit by Carl Chinn.....He knows a bit about the game.

seriously, there some football people who follow Villa....but look when you have been watching us for some time, you know what you are looking at.

The behind the scenes stuff, like fitness etc No, we wouldn't necessarily be equipped to comment on that, with any authority.....unless there are a few physio's amongst us.

16 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

So what you're saying is there's a place that exists that fans can air differing opinions on some sort of messaging board and sometimes there's a chance that the views aired might be different.?? Do we all have to have the same view in this fantasy land? Fook me times have certainly moved on from the good old days of chinning someone in the local pub because we didn't make 13 subs when only 3 were available! 

Not sure of the point you are making, but i was answering a poster who deemed my comments flawed ( which is fine, so I answered his rendition)...nothing sinister.

I like differing views.

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not sure of the point you are making, but i was answering a poster who deemed my comments flawed ( which is fine, so I answered his rendition)...nothing sinister.

I like differing views.

I was merely agreeing with you in a round about way that fans have opinions and these message boards are a way of expressing them. Otherwise we may as well delete our accounts and twiddle our thumbs lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

I was merely agreeing with you in a round about way that fans have opinions and these message boards are a way of expressing them. Otherwise we may as well delete our accounts and twiddle our thumbs lol.

ok, fine...yes totally agree.

I am not trying to be a martyr, but I like differing views or folk pointing things out, that I haven't noticed.

My comments are more observations than criticisms, but folk interpret that how they choose.....I am on here, with my own, so I feel I can make those observations.

When I talk to other fans, my comments are not the same, I don't share our  shortfalls ( as I see them) with fans of other clubs, only my own.

It would be boring if we all agreed, but that is no platform to just disagree to be an arse......it is also pleasant to agree.

If I think another poster has a stronger point or argument than me, I will not be afraid to yield....if I think that to be the case.

There is no doubt in my mind, we all learn from each other.

finally, I have to confess, I hate the Villa Losing.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

ok, fine...yes totally agree.

I am not trying to be a martyr, but I like differing views or folk pointing things out, that I haven't noticed.

My comments are more observations than criticisms, but folk interpret that how they choose.....I am on here, with my own, so I feel I can make those observations.

When I talk to other fans, my comments are not the same, I don't share our  shortfalls ( as I see them) with fans of other clubs, only my own.

It would be boring if we all agreed, but that is no platform to just disagree to be an arse......it is also pleasant to agree.

If I think another poster has a stronger point or argument than me, I will not be afraid to yield....if I think that to be the case.

There is no doubt in my mind, we all learn from each other.

finally, I have to confess, I hate the Villa Losing.

Last night I was in a room full of Chelsea Liverpool manure fans all related to me , my brother the Newcastle fan, my uncle a West Ham fan and me the villain. There they were ripping me to shreds. The Geordie still going on about how they will become the richest club. 

Uncle teasing me about possible bungs etc, the usual manure Chelsea Liverpool boasting. My response: pray we get relegated because next season the 4th richest premier League owners are going to buy your best players. 

Smartphones come out......

"Yo Villa are rich yo"... 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Last night I was in a room full of Chelsea Liverpool manure fans all related to me , my brother the Newcastle fan, my uncle a West Ham fan and me the villain. There they were ripping me to shreds. The Geordie still going on about how they will become the richest club. 

Uncle teasing me about possible bungs etc, the usual manure Chelsea Liverpool boasting. My response: pray we get relegated because next season the 4th richest premier League owners are going to buy your best players. 

"Yo Villa are rich yo"... 

Rich don't equal success....it goes a long way mind.

They were ripping you to threads?.......crikey, what have they got in common?......hadn't you bought a round or something?

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Rich don't equal success....it goes a long way mind.

They were ripping you to threads?.......crikey, what have they got in common?......hadn't you bought a round or something?

AHH the usual Villa are getting relegated.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

My comments are more observations than criticisms, but folk interpret that how they choose...

This is how I see it, enriches the whole experience of supporting the Villa , villatalk,...,.....  thank you.

• Thanks 1

Fair f***ing play if he keeps us up.

But we absolutely cannot be in this situation next season. Have to see progression.

Can't keep conceding 60+ goals every season.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

On 22/07/2020 at 19:56, TRO said:

The notion that this performance was a result of patience, is also flawed.

we were better in the early part of the season......Jack himself was on fire for most of the season carrying us.....since lockdown, his form has dipped, but he found it again last night.....as did many others too, thankfully.

No, one is proposing to out think the manager at all......folk on here give their views, some are stronger than others, granted.....but if you think folk who spend fortunes following Villa, know nothing, or not worth listening too, you would be wrong.

In our 40,000 odd crowd, is some learned football people, with views worth heading....Deans opinion is the only one that matters, granted, in terms of team selection, but he is not always right as 21 defeats are testimony.....last night he got it right, lets hope he repeats it on Sunday.....but don't lose sight, that the opinions of fans is worth their weight too.....on both sides of the debates.

When? 

In our 2nd game we conceded 2 comical goals. 

In our 4th game, palace bullied us.

Then we couldn't beat a 10 man west ham team.

I keep reading this, as a way to complain about smith, but its just rubbish. 

Defensively we are better, luiz, konza and trez are much better than they were earlier in the year and our performance in the last game is arguably the best of the season. So when were we much better?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Fair f***ing play if he keeps us up.

But we absolutely cannot be in this situation next season. Have to see progression.

Can't keep conceding 60+ goals every season.

He seems to have given us progression so far.  It's easy to miss it from inside the washing machine of emotions supporting villa gives us, I'm as bad as anyone , one bad result or poor decision and I'm pissed.

However when I stagger back and look at  what has actually happened over the last 18 months...it's been nothing short of miraculous

Promotion, cup final , record amount of wins, rebuilding a team from nothing with a  director of football helping to pick players. If it was any other clubs manager then I would see it more objectively.

• Like 1

Â