Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Putting all the blame for this season on Smith just makes absolutely no sense to me. With all the surrounding circumstances we've had, i'm not even sure I'd sack him even if we do go down. IMO, if Wesley and Heaton didn't get injured we'd be a few points better off. 

Mcginns injury was also a big blow.

1 hour ago, LondonVillian said:

2nd/3rd let's not make things up as you so adamant to talk only in facts.

Heaton First Choice, Steer Second Choice, Nyland Third Choice, Reina Fourth Choice

Edited by VillaCas
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't see the need to give him a set amount of time. 

I think the idea we're to spend x amount just highlights the issues at this club. 

We have to stop thinking we can just spend our way out of it. We've spent so much cash the last 15 years it's unreal. 

We now have to redevelop everything about this club to catch up to where we should be and any money we spent shouldn't be about spending x amount on the best performing players, but rather spending y amount on players that suit what we wanna do. 

we've already done that though. new owners, new manager, new coaching staff, new DoF, new squad. we just got a lot of it so badly wrong. now that we've got it wrong though, it's done, we need to change something. so what would that be? new DoF, to bring in new players that smith can then fail to develop and play in a system that doesn't suit them?

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

we've already done that though. new owners, new manager, new coaching staff, new DoF, new squad. we just got a lot of it so badly wrong. now that we've got it wrong though, it's done, we need to change something. so what would that be? new DoF, to bring in new players that smith can then fail to develop and play in a system that doesn't suit them?

No we haven't. We have started the process, but that's something entirely different. 

We also have to settle down a new football philosophy. Run it through the academy. Redevelop the academy. ++

Unfortunately young people today along with accessability to football online, have no patience to see long term work mature and yield results. It's become a business where everyone wants everything now (young and old) and that only benefits the established clubs. 

Where the old farts used to moan at the pub, they now moan at VT. They should know better, but they don't.

But that's my view of it. I don't think quick fixes and lots of money will get us where we wanna be. Maybe I'm wrong, but each to their own PoV I guess. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No we haven't. We have started the process, but that's something entirely different. 

We also have to settle down a new football philosophy. Run it through the academy. Redevelop the academy. ++

Unfortunately young people today along with accessability to football online, have no patience to see long term work mature and yield results. It's become a business where everyone wants everything now (young and old) and that only benefits the established clubs. 

Where the old farts used to moan at the pub, they now moan at VT. They should know better, but they don't.

But that's my view of it. I don't think quick fixes and lots of money will get us where we wanna be. Maybe I'm wrong, but each to their own PoV I guess. 

would that be the "villa engine" then that was put together a while back? we've tried it mate. something always just goes wrong. i'm done with reinventing the wheel all the time...it's not necessary now. we have the owners in place who (seemingly) know what they're doing. we have a chief exec who also (seemingly) knows what he's doing. we just got 2 key decisions wrong, one being the DoF and the subsequent players he had a big hand in recruiting, and the other being, IMO, retaining the manager when big cracks started to appear around christmas time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

would that be the "villa engine" then that was put together a while back? we've tried it mate. something always just goes wrong. i'm done with reinventing the wheel all the time...it's not necessary now. we have the owners in place who (seemingly) know what they're doing. we have a chief exec who also (seemingly) knows what he's doing. we just got 2 key decisions wrong, one being the DoF and the subsequent players he had a big hand in recruiting, and the other being, IMO, retaining the manager when big cracks started to appear around christmas time.

No it would be the changes we've seen culminating with our promotion. We've moved on from this revolving door of hoofball managers and quick fixes. Now we've gotta accept things will take time to get right. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No it would be the changes we've seen culminating with our promotion. We've moved on from this revolving door of hoofball managers and quick fixes. Now we've gotta accept things will take time to get right. 

well lets agree to disagree on this. IMO the current manager is a problem...and when you have a problem, you fix it. fortunately the season is over soon, and have some time to fix it, so it doesnt necessarily need to be 'quick'

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Putting all the blame for this season on Smith just makes absolutely no sense to me. With all the surrounding circumstances we've had, i'm not even sure I'd sack him even if we do go down. IMO, if Wesley and Heaton didn't get injured we'd be a few points better off. 

Obviously  there is a clear split between fans putting that place blame firmly  on smiths shoulders for this season and blaming other circumstances.

I do not believe any one wants continued manager churn , but the basic expectations of the season was to survive. In his Smiths defence since lock down we have looked slightly more organised defensively detrimental to moving forward as an attacking threat. Had we started the campaign in this way we would have had a reasonable chance of surviving (even with the injuries that are part of the season) We didn't start like this , we charged into the season with a new team of players and frankly played very cavalier football that exposed the team defensively against good and bad teams.  Its taken far to long for Smith to find any consistent pattern of play or strategy . I have debated recruitment with many on this board, he was responsible partly, we all seen the pictures of him scouting various players., so he  has to shoulder some responsibility for recruitment and judgement on players ability to fit into the style of football he wants! I certainly would not as an owner release more funds at his disposal  based on what we have seen this season.

All managers have to deal with he circumstances that manifest during the football season, its my opinion Smith plan and management has failed this season , if the owners are serious we need to make the right appointment  and make sure that we have the right people making the football  decisions to move the club forward.

To accept Smith failure this season and move on with him would send all the wrong messages about Aston Villa as a once great football club, one of mediocrity and failure as being acceptable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LondonVillian said:

It's a pathetic defeatist attitude no wonder our players play with no passion with agent DS here.

You think posters on VT have any influence on our first team? Surely not?

16 hours ago, villalad21 said:

His in game management is shocking. Been all season. Costed us 6-7 pts

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

His in game management alone has probably cost us around 7-10 points this season.

Tell me about it. Probably cost us 11-16 points this season.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

Dean smith is one of our own and a very nice bloke - he got us promoted in his first season - which was some achievement. I think some people want to stick with Smith because sacking him isn't a nice thing to do and is a way of punishing Dean Smith

However I just don't think he quite has it at this level, its all speculative but I don't see us starting next season that well under Smith - the goals against column has never been his strong point at any club he has managed and that will continue to weigh against us so long as he stays in post - in the championship we might score enough so its not so much of an issue - but in the PL closing out tight games is an essential skill - we clearly don't have it nor do we look like acquiring it anytime soon.

I believe he has to go at the end of the season - and think he will.

Edited by hippo

Everyone fans giving praise to our players. Saying how sorry they are for robbing a win from us and that they hope we stay up. It's a real nice thing from there fans show realise that there team hadn't a dog in it till the end. The Toffee fans said we out played them at every turn pretty much, I'd agree apart from crosses, we so need to sort that out, it's a big problem.

A nice Gesture and good sporting behaviour from there fans it's appreciated.

We must of played recently which I thought up until Ghazi came on we were absolutely solid and could of seen out the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

It comes with the territory. Smith will most likely shoulder a lot, if not all, of the responsibility for results. This pressure is not going to go away any time soon. You could also present a hard luck case for most football clubs over the course of a season. 

Ultimately, we have failed to stay up because we have not been good enough over 38 games. We have not held on to leads, dropped too many points from winning positions and conceded too many late goals. 

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 1

Â