Dean Smith

Demitri_C

personally, i think Smith needs to answer serious questions

Hes spent like £70M odd on defenders only to turn us into the worst defensive side in the division

He spent £30M on strikers only to have a strikeforce as potent as a wet fart........

Also, hes spend in fees and wages astronomical amounts on Goalkeepers and im not sure hes any clue who he should play.  Bought an international no1 for mega money and played him twice, spend massive amounts and a big contract on an injury prone Heaton that Burnley didnt want anymore and massive loan wages on Reina who hes stuck on the bench for most part............

In a nutshell, an amazing 10 game run last season - apart from that ! **** Idiot

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

But we have spent ? £120m - £150m depending on which figures you believe. 

Mourinho said that years ago, the figure today would be probably double. My point was that ignoring money is just none sense. The original poster suggested that only average managers need to spend big money. 

P.S. I don’t think Jose was talking about bringing in more than a dozen players for £150m. 

Edited by DaveAV1

What's to lose if he is kept in the championship? The back 5 is probably staying (except Mings), the midfield might need new blood, and the attackers will stay and thrive. Not a lot of change necessary, and the team will be too strong for the championship.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Mourinho seem to have lost his ways over the years.

Pep and Klopp would still get high performance levels consistently out of their players even if you removed 2-3 of their star players. Might not win the league but they would be way in the range in challenging for titles and finishing in the top 4. If i remember correctly Liverpool won a cup and finished 4th the season before. Without the likes of Van Dijk and Allison.

Put Rafa or Bielsa in charge of this Villa team and Jack would simply be a cog in the wheel. Not a deciding factor whether the team performed on a consistent basis.

Oh right. For a start off you’d have sacked Bielsa last season for bottling it and Rafa walked out of Newcastle because of transfer money. 

16 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

personally, i think Smith needs to answer serious questions

Hes spent like £70M odd on defenders only to turn us into the worst defensive side in the division

He spent £30M on strikers only to have a strikeforce as potent as a wet fart........

Also, hes spend in fees and wages astronomical amounts on Goalkeepers and im not sure hes any clue who he should play.  Bought an international no1 for mega money and played him twice, spend massive amounts and a big contract on an injury prone Heaton that Burnley didnt want anymore and massive loan wages on Reina who hes stuck on the bench for most part............

In a nutshell, an amazing 10 game run last season - apart from that ! **** Idiot

The problem isn't our defence in relation to your statement, the defensive problems start up front and flow through our midfield, basically lack of protection and proper pressing and closing down.

20m of the 30m you mention with regard to strikers has been injured for half the season.

Don't get your goalkeeper comments, Heaton was clearly no1, kalinic wasn't bought by Dean I don't think, we were in the pipeline to sign him way before Smith joined, I think that was just the fruition of a done deal.

Reina I can semi see your point, but steer was injured and nyland is gash.

I'm not defending smith, we have some big issues that need fixing, but most of your comments are nonsensical and don't actually address any real issues.

I agree smith has multiple things to answer for, but pretty much everything you mentioned above is cherry picking apparent problems without considering the wider impacts of other issues which could entirely explain your comments, and turn out to be entirely other issues.

Basically, you are moaning about symptoms, rather than looking for the cause.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Oh right. For a start off you’d have sacked Bielsa last season for bottling it and Rafa walked out of Newcastle because of transfer money. 

Not a chance would i have sacked Bielsa.

A clear pattern of play. Dominating most games.

Us under Smith has been all over the shop. And God knows where we would be without Jack. At times this season i've got no clue what we are trying to do. It's been a mess.

Gallardo is a similar coach to Bielsa and i've seen him mentioned. Would be a big, big coup. Sticking by Smith is a mistake.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not a chance would i have sacked Bielsa.

A clear pattern of play. Dominating most games.

Us under Smith has been all over the shop. And God knows where we would be without Jack. At times this season i've got no clue what we are trying to do. It's been a mess.

Gallardo is a similar coach to Bielsa and i've seen him mentioned. Would be a big, big coup. Sticking by Smith is a mistake.

Of course you’d have sacked him. 

• Like 3

Just now, villalad21 said:

Creating chances is well and good but when you are conceding 2 goals per game on average it kind of nulls it out.

Agree, defending has been getting better, however.

I think the OP was more to do with people using the 'we don't create chances' lie to beat Smith with. Which is more to the point.

4 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Agree, defending has been getting better, however.

I think the OP was more to do with people using the 'we don't create chances' lie to beat Smith with. Which is more to the point.

I agree that Dean's teams are well capable at creating chances and scoring goals. We saw that the first half of the season. But he isn't able to find a middle ground.

We need a coach who can do both those things and i don't think Smith will ever be that coach.

Edited by villalad21

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Creating chances is well and good but when you are conceding 2 goals per game on average it kind of nulls it out.

Yep, we haven't been good enough. But again, how anyone looks at it and puts it all on smith is beyond me. 

We put together a new back 4 of unproven, inexperienced premier league players, with no protection from midfield. 

Much improved after lockdown and improvement from luiz in midfield. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Yep, we haven't been good enough. But again, how anyone looks at it and puts it all on smith is beyond me. 

We put together a new back 4 of unproven, inexperienced premier league players, with no protection from midfield. 

Much improved after lockdown and improvement from luiz in midfield. 

Much improved but attack has suffered greatly.

Again. He doesn't seem to be able to find the middle ground.

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You'll literally give credence to nothing that might make you think. Nothing pleases you. Nothing positive.

Have we lost every game in the restart by multiple goals?

If we could finish we might have got points from any of these after the restart: Sheffied United 0-0, Chelsea 2-1, Newcastle 1-1, Wolves 1-0, Everton 1-1.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

You'll literally give credence to nothing that might make you think. Nothing pleases you. Nothing positive.

If we could finish we might have got points from any of these after the restart: Sheffied United 0-0, Chelsea 2-1, Newcastle 1-1, Wolves 1-0, Everton 1-1.

We were on top against Manure too and had good opportunities to create chances. Better decision making and we could have got something from that too.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We were on top against Manure too and had good opportunities to create chances. Better decision making and we could have got something from that too.

I was going to add that one! We were unlucky. We also missed some good chances against Liverpool—I remember Jack skying one from close range.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rolta said:

There is a saying you make your own luck in football.

Well coached teams find ways of winning football games.

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

I was going to add that one! We were unlucky. We also missed some good chances against Liverpool—I remember Jack skying one from close range.

I don't know about the Liverpool game as I felt they had us at arms length. Against United I was thinking we can do something here. Then we were cheated but our players dropped their heads.

It's as I've said all along unless we can get someone better than Smith he stays. 

Marcelo Gallardo, Rafa Benitez, Marco Rose, wouldn't have minded Schmidt but I understand he's moving elsewhere.

Â