Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Nabby said:

We have looked a bit better at the back but its come at the cost of our attacking threat.Cross's we get into the box come from deeper positions , we don't get to the byline and get balls in very often as the fullbacks sit deeper now particularly Targett.

My issue is we are labouring , 10 mins to go and they have used 5 subs.We have 3 to make and he does nothing and yes I know he doesn't have a great degree of options but at that points it more about fresh legs to chase and win the ball than anything else.It's also about stopping the game..bring on 2 then wait a few mins bring on another break up the flow of the game.

This not a dig at Smith but we seem to be one of a only a few clubs who have zero talent at the 18-20 age group level.Everton tonight for example had Braithwaite and Gordon.Are they current crop so bad none of them are good enough to run around with some energy to win the ball back or chase balls down the line  ?

Unfortunately I think Dean has missed too many chances to see games out by not making substitutions and that will probably cost us and him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jim said:

I think this would be a bad move. I would much rather start with a clean slate than wait and see how he does, and risk spending another season in the Championship.

Can see your point, but dunno, do we really want to strip it all down and start again?? Or just tweak and get back at it?

Just now, Zatman said:

Who would you recommend as manager since you only criticise Smith?

It’s not my job to pick another manager. There are people at the club paid a handsome amount to do that.

I criticize him because week in week out he gives me something that is worthy of criticism. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jim said:

But they do play with determination and a will to win. Something we’ve severely lacked for much of this season. 

a will to win? The same Tim Sherwood who lost more games than he won as manager. Proper will to win

1 hour ago, hippo said:

To me, keeping Smith and expecting a cake walk next season is niave in the extreme.

Fantastic as that play off run was it did open up for us - I mean we came up against derby in the final.

Keeping Smith would smack of the easy option - which might come home to roost in October/November .

I still think he will go at the season's end.

To me, getting rid of Smith and trusting the board to get a better man that could cope with a championship season is naive in the extreme. 

The grass isn't always greener... We've seen that many times.

Just now, jim said:

It’s not my job to pick another manager. There are people at the club paid a handsome amount to do that.

I criticize him because week in week out he gives me something that is worthy of criticism. 

so its OK to criticise but when put on the spot you just fade away. OK thats fair enough

Its a messageboard not The Apprentice 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

But then you are choosing youre replacement from a very small pool of managers. 

Smith has one promotion to his name - he's not some promotion magican. Lots of poor managers have a got a team out of the championship.

Chris Hughton - currently unemployed for example has 2 promotions - would such a candidate be available at Christmas ?

Why change a guy with 1 promotion for a guy with 2?, what's the point?

If we were to get rid of Smith we need to get a real quality manager, no point in making major changes for someone bang average.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

a will to win? The same Tim Sherwood who lost more games than he won as manager. Proper will to win

Who is defending Sherwood though? It's perfectly possible to believe that Sherwood is an awful manager (and far inferior to Smith) while still at the same time believing Smith isn't good enough.

Just now, MaVilla said:

Can see your point, but dunno, do we really want to strip it all down and start again?? Or just tweak and get back at it?

I just don’t think he is good enough. During that poor 12-game spell last year the warning signs were there. 

He did unbelievably well for the next dozen games, something clicked and we went on an unstoppable run. He’s been unable to capture anytime that this season. What annoys me the most is when we had the easier run ins and results went our way. We just didn’t turn up, half the time we didn’t look arsed. I think he’s too soft with the players and it shows. 

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

If we were to get rid of Smith we need to get a real quality manager, no point in making major changes for someone bang average.

pretty sure our last manager was the promotion expert, think he had 4 😛 

Just now, Mjvilla said:

To me, getting rid of Smith and trusting the board to get a better man that could cope with a championship season is naive in the extreme. 

The grass isn't always greener... We've seen that many times.

Oh I agree - this board could quite easily feck up the next appointment!

Even before he got to villa Smith was known for his defensive frailities- I don't see any teams he manages being tight at the back. If you aren't tight at the back you're always up against it.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I don’t recall mentioning Sherwood.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He has to take criticism considering so many goals in last 15 minutes.

Also why do we stop playing when we score? Its incredible how many times this has happened this year. He made us wimps

Agree on the first part.

Second part, we are so mentally weak. I’m just not sure Smith is fully to blame. I don’t think he instructs them to sit back so much. We do need to get a good psychologist in. 

12 minutes ago, Nabby said:

This not a dig at Smith but we seem to be one of a only a few clubs who have zero talent at the 18-20 age group level.Everton tonight for example had Braithwaite and Gordon.Are they current crop so bad none of them are good enough to run around with some energy to win the ball back or chase balls down the line  ?

Gordon is a youth product but they paid a million for Branthwaite 

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Oh I agree - this board could quite easily feck up the next appointment!

Even before he got to villa Smith was known for his defensive frailities- I don't see any teams he manages being tight at the back. If you aren't tight at the back you're always up against it.

You're right, and I didn't want Smith before he came. For that reason. 

But he earnt my respect and loyalty with the job he's done since the day he started.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

What I meant was Smith is no promotion guru. Indeed there is a bloke on the dole with a better promotion record.

I wasn't in particular endorsing Hughton -just that it isn't a given that Smith will have us romping to promotion next season 

Just now, jim said:

Sorry I didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to criticise Smith unless I had a better option lined up. How silly of me.

I criticise what I see and Smith has churned our more dross than good this season that is a fact. We have been awful defensively and failed to close out games.

Sorry I’m not blinded by the fact he’s one of our own. I call it how I see it and he has been shite this season. 

well if your going to criticise everyday you should really have an alternative in mind as to who you want as manager. Its a bit of a cop put to say its not your job to pick the manager 

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

You're right, and I didn't want Smith before he came. For that reason. 

But he earnt my respect and loyalty with the job he's done since the day he started.

Me too.

I loved that day at Wembley last may. For that I will always be forever grateful.

But imo the Harsh reality is that he doesn't quite have it as top manager. 

• Like 3

Â