Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Yes, I actually am. I think with a chance to replace the players who are poor and strengthen the squad so we have options, and a year of learning together and developing a team under less pressure I think we would make a much better stab at it next time around. I genuinely think that we were promoted too soon, given the mess the club was 18 months or so ago.

I wonder if next time we are promoted we will have the players in defence of the quality we have now. Mings, (Current international)  Heaton (Former England International) - Targett looks a solid if unspectacular PL player  

1 minute ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Our team showed some spirit against Everton last night. Dean Smith did well to prepare us for yesterday’s game but it was not enough.

We do not have time or resources to help develop a manager that we appointed in 2018.

We have conceded 66 goals so far this season

and conceded the 2nd highest amount of goals in the championship last season. Granted he took charge on the 10th of October but we conceded 5 goals against Nottingham Forest and lost 0-3 against Wigan.

His tactics have been poor and his bark has not been bigger than his bite for recruiting the players that he wanted.

We need to become ruthless towards under achieving players and management. 

I find it funny that people use Southampton not sacking  manager Ralph Hasenhüttl as an example. He is a top level tactician and coach that was considered as a coup. Southampton are still a premier league club because they tend to hire top quality managers Pochettino, Koeman and any other manager that under performs is sacked.

Purslow should have sacked Dean Smith before the winter transfer window but instead he offered him a long term contract.

Keeping Dean Smith at this club after we are relegated is small club mentality. With the amount of resources and finances put into this club we should have a process in place after this season has finished in terms sporting director and a manager that can improve the squad drastically. 

I think it will be naive if he stays "weve got a plan and we are sticking buy it"  - How many times have we heard that over the last 10 years ? 

Purslow I believe will take take the harsh decision to sack smith 

32 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I hope we stick with Smith unless we find someone of Rafa's ilk. I'm very confident without the injuries we sustained we'd have stayed up comfortably.

You will always get injuries - every club does. Its only really Heaton  IMO - who was inform and playing well - Mcginn started well, Wesley never really shown much IMO. 

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

I wonder if next time we are promoted we will have the players in defence of the quality we have now. Mings, (Current international)  Heaton (Former England International) - Targett looks a solid if unspectacular PL player  

Target didn’t look particularly solid as he watched the ball sail over his head to Theo Walcott last night. Heaton has been out most of this year. Whilst Mings is decent he has been responsible for much too many defensive lapses. He isn’t quite good enough for his own laid back style at PL level. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Target didn’t look particularly solid as he watched the ball sail over his head to Theo Walcott last night. Heaton has been out most of this year. Whilst Mings is decent he has been responsible for much too many defensive lapses. He isn’t quite good enough for his own laid back style at PL level. 

I stand by my point we could quite easily go into another PL season, with on paper a worse defence than we have now. 

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I stand by my point we could quite easily go into another PL season, with on paper a worse defence than we have now. 

None of us can see the future. We don’t even know when our next PL season will be. It could start in a couple of months, a couple of years who knows? 

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I think if Smith had better players we wouldn't of been sitting where we are now to be honest. You look at us when we bring two players on from subs bench one of which offered nothing and we went totally weak on that side he was playing. Davis as well only offered sparks of play, we have not the subs to make game winning changes happening. The starting eleven played amazing each and every one of them and I thought they should of been left to see out the game not bring subs on to unsettle the team which it did do.

No point blaming Smith for the draw as it was a good performance, we just got unlucky at the end. Now his coaching or if he had a hand in signing players like Ghazi who make us worse when they are on the field. I do think that Smith has found a strong first eleven that play well together ( well out of the players we have anyway). If anything it is those eleven that will see us survive. Then the problem arises of what players do we bring on that could possibly change a game, Davis and Ghazi can not and we keep bloody playing them, in fact we go the opposite way every time and become worse. It is about time that we play some others instead of those two did t we have Youths on the bench against Everton. We should of brought on some Youth if we had them available for up front, again Vasilev should of definitely been considered and used.

As it stands Ghazi was just a passenger in that game as was Samatta, for all we know we could have some youth who will go and light the pitch up. Vasilev more than impressed better than Ghazi and Trez when he played earlier in the season and it's driving me bonkers Smith is using the same two subs he's been using all this time. I also thought our best option for a sub was to bring a complete new player on that Everton would of knew nothing about. We had those guys on the bench that could of brought abit of randomness for us and completely messed Everton up and finished them off. Remember when we go play these team they know to go watch tapes of Davis and Ghazi because that's all Smith uses, cant use that much footage of Vasilev can you now as we could of popped him in up front, the lad has a good energy supply, he's good at mixing it up a d he deserves a chance if others are not fulfilling there roles and Samatta and Ghazi are not.

Do not know what Smith is playing at with the youth, all this BullTalk about they will get there chance was a load of rubbish, even when its a clear and obvious reasob to use they do not get there go at first team. 

Tell you what I'll be even more angrier if Smith goes and subs Ghazi on next game after his poor display, that should be it as far as I'm concerned and unless he earns it should be at the back of the line as others deserve a run now.

Yep. That's what average coaches need. Coaches like Smith, Bruce and Pardew heavily relies on individual brilliance.

Leeds are without much quality and star players but they will be absolutely fine next season.

The best coaches aren't reliant on individual players. It's the system who gets them results. Replace a better player with a lesser player in Benitez system and performance levels will not be effected too much.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

No one is putting all the blame on Smith.

But he is a big part of the problem.

His in game management alone has probably cost us around 7-10 points this season.

Haha

The idea that Dean Smith has stopped this team being on 40 pts this season is unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

It comes with the territory. Smith will most likely shoulder a lot, if not all, of the responsibility for results. This pressure is not going to go away any time soon. You could also present a hard luck case for most football clubs over the course of a season. 

Ultimately, we have failed to stay up because we have not been good enough over 38 games. We have not held on to leads, dropped too many points from winning positions and conceded too many late goals. 

Yeah, I completely understand that argument and football is a results based industry. I wouldn't argue against the points you've made either. I guess it comes down to your opinion on why we haven't got results, or why we drop leads, or why we don't kill off games. If it's your opinion that the reasoning for that is purely Dean Smith then that's completely fair enough, I've felt like that too at times this season. Though, I do disagree now. 

22 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

None of us can see the future. We don’t even know when our next PL season will be. It could start in a couple of months, a couple of years who knows? 

ok touche - my point is considering the players we have in defence - the goals against and goals conceded when defending a lead  is too high. Lambert kept us in the division with less defensive talent at his disposal IMO.

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yep. That's what average coaches need. Coaches like Smith, Bruce and Pardew heavily relies on individual brilliance.

Leeds are without much quality and star players but they will be absolutely fine next season.

The best coaches aren't reliant on individual players. It's the system who gets them results. Replace a better player with a lesser player in Benitez system and performance levels will not be effected too much.

Seem to remember Graham Taylor saying something very similar.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The best coaches aren't reliant on individual players. It's the system who gets them results. Replace a better player with a lesser player in Benitez system and performance levels will not be effected too 

So Pepe spends a fortune on players because he’s an average manager.

Mouriho said a few years ago, something like, “Give me £150m to spend, (when that was a lot of money) and I can get any team to win the league.” Average. 

Harry Rednap said Years ago, “My Chairman tells me money makes no difference, I told him that’s a load of bollocks”. He may be a crook but I’d back his management skills against yours. 

Over the years I think only Arsene Wenger can claim to have been successful with a minimal net spend, but he’s very much the exception. Even back in the 70s/80s Liverpool had more money than most other teams from the Moores family who owned the pools at the time. Shankley and Paisley very average. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

ok touche - my point is considering the players we have in defence - the goals against and goals conceded when defending a lead  is too high. Lambert kept us in the division with less defensive talent at his disposal IMO.

Having a striker score 19 goals tends to help. 

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Leeds again. Boring. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Mouriho said a few years ago, something like, “Give me £150m to spend, (when that was a lot of money) and I can get any team to win the league.” Average. 

Harry Rednap said Years ago, “My Chairman tells me money makes no difference, I told him that’s a load of bollocks”. He may be a crook but I’d back his management skills against yours. 

Over the years I think only Arsene Wenger can claim to have been successful with a minimal net spend, but he’s very much the exception. Even back in the 70s/80s Liverpool had more money than most other teams from the Moores family who owned the pools at the time. Shankley and Paisley very average. 

But we have spent ? £120m - £150m depending on which figures you believe. 

53 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Yes, I actually am. I think with a chance to replace the players who are poor and strengthen the squad so we have options, and a year of learning together and developing a team under less pressure.

Less pressure? There will be even more pressure to get it right and get out of the Championship next season.

Not intended at you but I've seen a few fans think we will piss the league next year. I'm not so sure, I think we will lose a lot more players than people think, then we will have months of them getting used to the wonder ballad the dodgy results that go with it. I honestly think we'll struggle next year. Especially under Smith.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Garde, Sherwood, houllier , rdm - wouldn't say they are hoofball managers. 

Maybe not, but they were quick fixes. Houllier had us playing some decent stuff mind. His football here sort of reminds me of Deanos tenure. 

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don’t disagree with that to be fair. I don’t think Smith is the only reason this season hasn’t been good but in general the team lacks resilience and that bit of bite. That must lie at the feet of the manager to a large extent. The fact that we’ve recently defended better but scored less, is probably partly due to the manager but also due to not having a competent striker. Recruitment is another story of course. 

18 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Mourinho seem to have lost his ways over the years.

Pep and Klopp would still get high performance levels consistently out of their players even if you removed 2-3 of their star players. Might not win the league but they would be way in the range in challenging for titles and finishing in the top 4. If i remember correctly Liverpool won a cup and finished 4th the season before. Without the likes of Van Dijk and Allison.

Put Rafa or Bielsa in charge of this Villa team and Jack would simply be a cog in the wheel. Not a deciding factor whether the team performed on a consistent basis.

Edited by villalad21

Â