Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I came around a few months back mate. I just respect the guy for what he did getting us back up. Would hate to see it get nasty. 

I agree, I hope it doesn’t come to that though, as it certainly will if we do keep him and it goes pear shaped next season. 

Edited by jim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonVillian said:

No 2nd choice doesn't get loaned out for the season - think that's quite easy to understand 

You seem to be struggling with this.

Bruce loaned him out. Smith actually recalled him, he was clearly our 2nd choice keeper this season. 

6 minutes ago, jim said:

I agree, I hope it doesn’t come to that though, as it certainly will if we do keep him and it goes pear shaped next season. 

Your posts seem to suggest otherwise. I think I've only seen 1 other poster criticise and mock the bloke so much. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Your posts seem to suggest otherwise. I think I've only seen 1 other poster criticise and mock the bloke so much. 

I mock his ability as manager. I don’t dislike him personally. He just isn’t very good at his job. 

53 minutes ago, jim said:

I mock his ability as manager. I don’t dislike him personally. He just isn’t very good at his job. 

I am starting to dislike him.

His post match interviews are annoying me. To me he is starting to enter Lambert territory.

Edited by villalad21

I know I'm someone who would keep Smith - but I don't know why there's so much animosity towards him. The goal this season was survival - we wait to see on that one. If he keeps us up then he's going nowhere. I just don't think we can judge him entirely yet. Season 1 he inherits an absolute mess of a squad but gets promotion, season 2 he's in the prem and we don't know who was entirely responsible for player signings but it's a tough ask even with the money spent to make the squad fit for the league its in. He's not had a normal season to face by any standards, hence I'd like to see what he can do next season regardless of the league. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Adbo9 said:

personally, i think Smith needs to answer serious questions

Hes spent like £70M odd on defenders only to turn us into the worst defensive side in the division

He spent £30M on strikers only to have a strikeforce as potent as a wet fart........

Also, hes spend in fees and wages astronomical amounts on Goalkeepers and im not sure hes any clue who he should play.  Bought an international no1 for mega money and played him twice, spend massive amounts and a big contract on an injury prone Heaton that Burnley didnt want anymore and massive loan wages on Reina who hes stuck on the bench for most part............

In a nutshell, an amazing 10 game run last season - apart from that ! **** Idiot

I can answer those for you.

Suso signed the defenders.

Suso signed the strikers.

Suso signed the keepers. (Heaton a brilliant signing incidentally)

Idiot? That's an unpleasant thing to say.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, jim said:

You've had a clear agenda towards him all season mind. I've replied to more negative unreasonable match feedback from you than I can count. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I know I'm someone who would keep Smith - but I don't know why there's so much animosity towards him. The goal this season was survival - we wait to see on that one. If he keeps us up then he's going nowhere. I just don't think we can judge him entirely yet. Season 1 he inherits an absolute mess of a squad but gets promotion, season 2 he's in the prem and we don't know who was entirely responsible for player signings but it's a tough ask even with the money spent to make the squad fit for the league its in. He's not had a normal season to face by any standards, hence I'd like to see what he can do next season regardless of the league. 

Correct, the animosity is unneeded.

I'm only interested in an outstanding candidate. Not pacifying people who think we should be mid-table with this garbage squad in our first season back in the PL.

They'll round on the new guy at the first sign of trouble, same as they did with Smith.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You've had a clear agenda towards him all season mind. I've replied to more negative unreasonable match feedback from you than I can count. 

Calling it how I see it. Not negative just what’s in front of me. And the reason you’ve lost count is because we’ve been shite more often than not. 

My “agenda” as you put it is something I have been banging the drum about all season. No style, lack of fight, no pressing, failing to be proactive and unable to see out games. Nothing really to argue with there. 

I have also praised him when we have played well. Just a shame it’s been few and far between. 

Edited by jim
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jim said:

Calling it how I see it. Not negative just what’s in front of me. And the reason you’ve lost count is because we’ve been shite more often than not. 

My “agenda” as you put it is something I have been banging the drum about all season. No style, lack of fight, no pressing, failing to be proactive and unable to see out games. Nothing really to argue with there. 

I have also praised him when we have played well. Just a shame it’s been few and far between. 

Fair point. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They'll round on the new guy at the first sign of trouble, same as they did with Smith.

Yeah I think most clubs' fans are equally of such short patience - we've certainly been there in spades the last few years. I am hopeful the owners see it differently and I think they do - they've given Smith that contract and I think relegation was priced in to that decision. They will realise our promotion last year was a best case scenario, and will probably be patient. All guesswork mind. 

If we go down I think we have to at least see who is available as a potential replacement for Smith. If someone like Benitez was available I think we need to be pretty ruthless and try to bring him in.

Leeds managed to bring in Bielsa so you never know.

As much as Smith has done for the club in such a short space of time, I want us to push on as quickly as possible, and would not mind one bit if we replaced Smith with a proven quality manager. It's not like Smith won't receive a massive payoff if he were replaced.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I am starting to dislike him.

His post match interviews are annoying me. To me he is starting to enter Lambert territory.

Or Bruce.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Nope! If that’s your methodology, can I sell you some magic beans?

OK, let’s try this:

Football is all about results. Smith hasn’t achieved good enough results.

We  have even done worse so far thIs season  than Bournemouth. We are 19th. 

If you think that is a basis for retaining Smith, I think it’s you who needs the magic beans. 

• Like 4

Â