Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Guess its all about opinions, but i would disagree with you .

His tactics have been absolutely appalling for most of the season, cavalier open football with a brand new squad just promoted to the Premiership! Had we applied the more recent conservative  tactics of keeping the game a little tighter we may have had a chance! Its not clear to me or most  pundits on what he is doing as a coach at the training ground   . The defending as a team has been dreadful. 

If we are a big club with ambitious owners there are always options, chopping and changing,  no not a fan but i believe Smith has to  go at the end of the season. 

It’s a trade off, before lockdown we we’re scoring more goals because we attacked more and risked more. Post lockdown we tightened up and tried to nick results and ended up dropping points in the sheff utd and Newcastle game etc. Dammed if you do dammed if you don’t. 

Others who have said we should press more or better, it’s not a simple exercise like Playing FIFA. You need good fast players with endurance to play a press. You are never going to get that with McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba , hourihane, Jack, trez, elghazi, Lansbury. 

Smith has said its lots in the early days of the season but he wanted us playing a higher tempo on the ball. What he was short of saying is the quality isn’t there to do it

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I've seen enough since lockdown to want to stick with smith next season. 

36 pts is the average needed to stay up. With this squad, the injuries and the January window, I think he's done OK, getting us within touching distance of the pts required to normally finish 17th. 

Deano is that you? The squad is capable of much better - shit tactics shit manager. 

Being remotely happy with this seasons performances is a complete joke. 

3 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Deano is that you? The squad is capable of much better - shit tactics shit manager. 

Being remotely happy with this seasons performances is a complete joke. 

Gets said lots. Nothing to base it on. Its just something angry football fans say.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Gets said lots. Nothing to base it on. Its just something angry football fans say.

I have many things to base it on - the players we bought before they came here were better (declined ability and passion). 

Players we have now were better under Bruce. Teams with worse squads than us comfortably staying up.

1 minute ago, LondonVillian said:

I have many things to base it on - the players we bought before they came here were better (declined ability and passion). 

Players we have now were better under Bruce. Teams with worse squads than us comfortably staying up.

Please tell me which teams staying up have worse squads? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Better? Only one player signed was proven in this league. Like I said, based on nothing. 

Which teams have worse squads than us? We played multiple games without a striker, any other teams doing that? We have had to rotate 3rd/4th choice keepers, any of our rivals doing that?

Look at our goal scorers. Trez, who has been woeful, and wesley, who has missed half a season our in 2nd place of our goal scorers. But yeah, proven better squad than others. 

Better under Bruce? Who? And that was in the championship. Comedy gold. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Better? Only one player signed was proven in this league. Like I said, based on nothing. 

Which teams have worse squads than us? We played multiple games without a striker, any other teams doing that? We have had to rotate 3rd/4th choice keepers, any of our rivals doing that?

Look at our goal scorers. Trez, who has been woeful, and wesley, who has missed half a season our in 2nd place of our goal scorers. But yeah, proven better squad than others. 

2nd/3rd let's not make things up as you so adamant to talk only in facts. Did SU sign proven PL players? Did Brighton ? 

You are just making excuses for a piss poor manager who was incredibly lucky to get us promoted and has been woefully out of depth.

If Wilder was our manager with this squad we would not be getting relegated.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I've seen enough since lockdown to want to stick with smith next season. 

36 pts is the average needed to stay up. With this squad, the injuries and the January window, I think he's done OK, getting us within touching distance of the pts required to normally finish 17th. 

You would've said the very same thing had we gained 0 points since lockdown. 

In fact, I'm pretty sure you're been saying it this whole time, even before the last 2 matches.

Well, not exactly the same. You would've said something along the lines off, "this squad is the reason we're getting 0 points and no where near survival, Smith has done admirably to even get them to this point in the first place".

I don't believe there is any reasonable scenario post-lockdown that could've happened that would lead you to say otherwise. Pretty much whatever happened, you would've still said the same thing above. Since you could always blame any deficiencies in our performances and results on the squad. And its frankly impossible to definitvely prove how much is on the players and not on the manager.

To put it bluntly, whatever happened, you would've been pro-Smith the entire way. The fact that we're in "touching distance" of the average amount of points required for survival(we're not really tbh), isn't the reason you want to stick with Smith next season. Especially considering you were arguing to stick with Smith even before our last 2 matches when getting to 36 points seemed impossible in light of our form.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonVillian said:

2nd/3rd let's not make things up as you so adamant to talk only in facts. Did SU sign proven PL players? Did Brighton ? 

You are just making excuses for a piss poor manager who was incredibly lucky to get us promoted and has been woefully out of depth.

Sheff Utd and wilder have been great and it’s hard to knock them. Helps that Wilder has had years of continuity. 

Brighton have a team of players with several years of premier league experience. How much premium it costs to buy a player with PL experience should demonstrate what’s that’s worth. 

2 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

If Wilder was manager we'd have spent another 3-4 years coming up and working with a settled squad. Our squad on promotion was a mix of players that weren't ours and geriatrics... It was always going to be tough. 

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

If Wilder was manager we'd have spent another 3-4 years coming up and working with a settled squad. Our squad on promotion was a mix of players that weren't ours and geriatrics... It was always going to be tough. 

Wilder with 1 month in charge of this squad we would be harder to beat and play with more passion than we do now.

4 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

Samatta and Trez were awful from start to finish. That seems to be a pretty unanimous opinion on here. Now, you can understand him going with a player that has just scored 2 goals in the previous game. Samatta, less so. Nevertheless, that's what he chose to go with. The annoying thing for me was not making the change in the first half. We have 5 subs. When something is so clearly wrong then change it, that's what a good manager does. The protocol has always been 'give them an hour no matter what'. Well, we couldn't afford that luxury. 

Likewise, having got our noses in front and being so close to the finish line, make a sub or two...break up the play...do whatever it takes but just see the game out. Across the course of the season this naivety has relegated us. We just haven't learnt.

I really don't know why Smith and team discuss on the sidelines regarding subs , they make the same ones at the same time every game.With the 5 subs their is more flexiabiltiy to make earlier changes ..we don't.I don't think we have made the first sub in any of the games since restart.

I agree about breaking up the play , as soon as Everton miss that first chance yesterday we should be making a sub.Slow the game down , have the player coming off stroll off the pitch etc.The game management is appalling ..Send Lansbury on tell him to just kick people in the middle of the park and give away free  kicks anything

Brentford are on the verge of Automatic promotion because they can now defend we can't it's not a coincidence .

• Like 2

The most obvious problem in recent matches has been the lack of a goal scorer. Overall this season we have scored more goals than our relegation rivals but have conceded way too many. We were set up to be an attacking team but defensively we’ve been useless.

Now we’ve changed that and been more solid at the back the goals have dried up. However we are still creating chances but we don’t have a competent striker to put enough of them away. 

Dean gets a lot of stick, some of it justified but things like AEG missing that chance and the numerous individual defensive errors that have cost us dear are mostly down to lack of quality and confidence. A leaky defence puts the strikers under more pressure to score and wasteful strikers heap more pressure on the defence. 

Deano is way off perfect but this talk of our squad being packed with quality is just none sense. I’m not saying he should stay or go, but he and the players all need to be assessed clearly and without emotion at the end of the season. Regardless of which division we’ll play next season in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I really don't know why Smith and team discuss on the sidelines regarding subs , they make the same ones at the same time every game.With the 5 subs their is more flexiabiltiy to make earlier changes ..we don't.I don't think we have made the first sub in any of the games since restart.

I agree about breaking up the play , as soon as Everton miss that first chance yesterday we should be making a sub.Slow the game down , have the player coming off stroll off the pitch etc.The game management is appalling ..Send Lansbury on tell him to just kick people in the middle of the park and give away free  kicks anything

Brentford are on the verge of Automatic promotion because they can now defend we can't it's not a coincidence .

Bringing on a player for the sake of bringing on a player doesn’t necessarily work. See Kodjia Vs Liverpool 

Also see Watford’s “game management” tactics against us in the VP leg of the fixture 

Edited by villa_shere

i've slept on it...and it's rare i say it about a manager...i never fully said it about bruce i dont think, but, smith out

i gave wesley so much stick saying it's like playing with 10 men but now realise it's the system. he's had all season to realise that our strikers simply cannot play on their own and still hasn't changed it. chops and changes, sometimes aly starts, sometimes davis, and the outcome is the same. swap them around mid game, oh look, still isolated...it beggers belief.

if by some miracle we stay up, i fully expect more of the same next season. he hasn't, and cannot adapt based on the personnel he has. if we stay up, this man will relegate us, either next season or the season after

last night was actually one of our best team performances of the season IMO, but we managed 1 shot on target. the lack of any ideas going forward is down to smith. i actually do think we have the personnel to do this but the team was set up so poorly

• Like 3

The team isn't great but some of the main problems lie with Smith surely? 17 goals in the last 15 minutes and around 23 points lost from winning positions shows Smith doesn't know how to see games out, he stuck with his 4 3 3 for majority of the season and even when it's not working he's still not willing to try anything else, which is also one of the reasons we haven't beaten a top 6 side as we only have 1 way of playing. at times his substitutes are baffling or he will just make them once we've conceded rather than taking any sort of initiative

We've played decent last 2 games but prior to that we were crap and Smith said its 10 cup finals but we haven't played like that at all which tells me he cannot get these players motivated. I'm in two minds as to whether I'd keep him for next season, I want him to do well but this season has not been good enough at all 

Â