Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, hippo said:

Eddie Howe or Dyche - don't take no for an answer.

Our problem over the last 10 years has been poor managerial appointments. We can't keep fudging it - move heaven and earth and get a proven top flight manager in. 

Neither would happen. Especially if they keep their current clubs up. 

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think he'll get sacked if we don't even reach 30 points which looks a strong possibility after tonight.

We had 25 points after beating Watford on January 21st and winnable games straight after.

That would certainly be relegation with a big whimper.

He won't be sacked, the ink is still wet on his contract extension.........

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Suso has to go. His shit signings smack of cosy arrangements with agent mates. Surely I'm not alone and loads of PL management people would've looked at Trez highlight reel and said this guy will not cut it in the PL

Lol, I always did find that signing an odd one. He’s the only player I think I’ve ever seen stink up YouTube. 

Make no mistake, he ain’t cut out for the championship either. Nor is Wesley. Horrific footballers. 

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Neither would happen. Especially if they keep their current clubs up. 

Thats the challenge for our board. If they want to be a premiership club - at some point recruit a top manager.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we cant get hughton id try get norwichs manager farke. Even with a shit squad he at least gets them playing and put effort in.

Far better manager than smith

Farke is a decent shout.

But the fear is, we end up playing even prettier, losing football then.

Just now, hippo said:

Thats the challenge for our board. If they want to be a premiership club - at some point recruit a top manager.

Would purslow have the balls to admit he was wrong having given smith a 5 yr deal?

1 minute ago, Graham t said:

He won't be sacked, the ink is still wet on his contract extension.........

Could well be clause of less compensation if we get relegated this season, simply don't know what the Ts and Cs are in the deal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Lol, I always did find that signing an odd one. He’s the only player I think I’ve ever seen stink up YouTube. 

Didn't you see Salifou's? Funniest thing I've seen on youtube. 

Just now, VillaChris said:

Could well be clause of less compensation if we get relegated this season, simply don't know what the Ts and Cs are in the deal.

We shouldn’t be waiting to find out - sack him now while there is still time to turn it around 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Getting a new manager solves nothing methinks. It's a knee jerk reaction to a much bigger problem.

We got promoted with a group of players not good enough for promotion, and that's just proven by the fact we ended up in the playoffs and not direct promotion. Smith might have saved the club to some degree, but he made it almost impossible for himself, considering we lost Tammy and had to replace a bunch of deadwood. We spent a fair wedge, but we clearly failed in the recruitment department. But even if we'd recruited better we'd still need them to gel as a team. It was a tough task. It's also clearly been a massive **** signing a lot of foreigners instead of signing a few more English players ready for the league. For all the poor stuff Targett has done, he looks better to me than most of our other purchases.

I'd rather stick with Smith and give this football he's trying to implement a good run. That means years of consistent development of youth players, years or consistent recruitment where players are signed to suit this philosophy and football. It means years of developing a philosophy and style of play to run through the club. 

We all know if we get relegated and start winning matches against players on our level people will be singing his praises again. This is about thinking long term.

There's obviously big issues we have to deal with. Like defending on set pieces. How we can big that bad on it begs questions, and I'm sure Smith agrees on that. If it's just as bad next season I'm all for doing more drastic moves. Personally I don't get the point of Terry if this is what he can help us with on our defence. I'd rather have another AM. 

Personally I think we're not good enough for PL football and it shows.

1) Individual errors.

2) Inaccurate passing.

3) Inability to track down and win loose balls from any set pieces. Or retain possession from throw-ins. 

4) No urgency, no determination or aggressiveness when we are trying to attack. We just piss around. And I think it's largely to do with our players not being good enough. 

5) Set piece defending. Comical. 

6) There's very little fight and toughness in them. Just soft. Whether this is a confidence thing I don't know. 

Ultimately I think we got maybe 3 solid PL players in Mings, Grealish and Samatta. At a push McGinn. When the rest of the players are championship standard, well then it's no surprise we will get relegated. 

But there's every chance we will come back up with a more settled squad, with more experience and hopefully more prepared to play PL football. 

As for changes to the club backroom staff:

1) I'd argue we probably need to look at getting in a new defensive coach. Our defending is just laughable at times. 

2) I'd also be massively surprised if we didn't look at a new GM / head scout or whoever recommended players like Wesley, Nakamba, Engels, Trezeguet. Particularly Trez and Wes have been a catastrophy. 

Anyway. Season is not over. 

I don’t doubt this squad wasn’t quite ready, and we have suffered from bad injuries too. But surely items 2-6 are areas you would expect a manager to address? And we have deteriorated as the season has progressed. I just don’t see any sparks or progress we can develop to improve, it needs a new approach.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Farke is a decent shout.

Next season?

Ultimately in the unlikely event we sack DS tomorrow we simply have to get a firefigter type manager in and well there's two obvious candidates available which many would hate to see us appoint.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Farke is a decent shout.

The thing is i think farke would gwt us up as well even if we go down. If we go down without a fught like we are with smith there is no hope nezt ywar. But i think if we go down with farke fighting i think we havw  aexcellent chance at coming back at first attempt 

I'm not one for knee jerk reactions but this is poor. We play with heart one week and like shit the next. We're too scared. The midfield is abysmal. The defence treat corners like they've never seen one before. There's no balance in the team. We miss easy chances and gift easy chances and teams and players in shit form always miraculously end it against us. Its not good.

Come on Dean. Show us something. 

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Next season?

Ultimately in the unlikely event we sack DS tomorrow we simply have to get a firefigter type manager in and well there's two obvious candidates available which many would hate to see us appoint.

Sam and who?

any chairman who gives a new contract without termination clauses regarding consecutive defeats or falling into the relegation zone....is a fool who's not protecting his investment.

Anyway if Smith really supports Villa he should resign tonight live on TV without taking a penny in compo.

Be  a true Villa legend and resign tonight Smith. The players are not listening to instructions anymore. his voice is just a nasally monotone "set traps lads" "build from that back" thats the way.

Â