Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No fight 

No passion

No desire

No urgency 

Sack him and get hughton in

Hilarious, the manager who hung on by the seat of his pants last season, and can't find another club.

Smith isn't the problem. We misjudged our transfer strategy, and it looks like Purslow and Suso cooked that up.

The big mistakes:

• Refusing to countenance making any loan signings until desperation struck in January
  • Not signing an outfield "leader" type with some PL experience - Grealish and Mings have played well this season, but I'm not convinced by their leadership qualities at this level. Not yet anyway.
  • Gambling everything on one striker.

Add in the injuries to Mings, McGinn, Wesley, and Smith has had a stinker of a hand here.

Just as an example, one of Smith's biggest critics on VT has said he 100% agreed with Smith's team selection today. Lol. Perhaps it's harder than it looks?

Half the people attacking Smith are attacking him for things that aren't even his job. At least spend some time thinking about it ffs. We're shit, yes, but our squad is half-baked. Any manager would struggle with it. We have no pace to hit teams on the counter, so Bruceball wouldn't work either.

I look at our defence and defensive mid, and to me it looks like a Championship defence + Mings. If we're still debating whether Hourihane or Elmo should start, or if Taylor is a better defender than Targett, then we have a huge, huge problem. This is not on Smith.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

He’s not going anywhere.

Quite laughable some of the suggestions you lot are throwing about as replacements this late in the season. 

Well if he doesn’t go we are going somewhere and it’s down - the guy is miles out of his depth 

Getting a new manager solves nothing methinks. It's a knee jerk reaction to a much bigger problem.

We got promoted with a group of players not good enough for promotion, and that's just proven by the fact we ended up in the playoffs and not direct promotion. Smith might have saved the club to some degree, but he made it almost impossible for himself, considering we lost Tammy and had to replace a bunch of deadwood. We spent a fair wedge, but we clearly failed in the recruitment department. But even if we'd recruited better we'd still need them to gel as a team. It was a tough task. It's also clearly been a massive **** signing a lot of foreigners instead of signing a few more English players ready for the league. For all the poor stuff Targett has done, he looks better to me than most of our other purchases.

I'd rather stick with Smith and give this football he's trying to implement a good run. That means years of consistent development of youth players, years or consistent recruitment where players are signed to suit this philosophy and football. It means years of developing a philosophy and style of play to run through the club. 

We all know if we get relegated and start winning matches against players on our level people will be singing his praises again. This is about thinking long term.

There's obviously big issues we have to deal with. Like defending on set pieces. How we can big that bad on it begs questions, and I'm sure Smith agrees on that. If it's just as bad next season I'm all for doing more drastic moves. Personally I don't get the point of Terry if this is what he can help us with on our defence. I'd rather have another AM. 

Personally I think we're not good enough for PL football and it shows.

1) Individual errors.

2) Inaccurate passing.

3) Inability to track down and win loose balls from any set pieces. Or retain possession from throw-ins. 

4) No urgency, no determination or aggressiveness when we are trying to attack. We just piss around. And I think it's largely to do with our players not being good enough. 

5) Set piece defending. Comical. 

6) There's very little fight and toughness in them. Just soft. Whether this is a confidence thing I don't know. 

Ultimately I think we got maybe 3 solid PL players in Mings, Grealish and Samatta. At a push McGinn. When the rest of the players are championship standard, well then it's no surprise we will get relegated. 

But there's every chance we will come back up with a more settled squad, with more experience and hopefully more prepared to play PL football. 

As for changes to the club backroom staff:

1) I'd argue we probably need to look at getting in a new defensive coach. Our defending is just laughable at times. 

2) I'd also be massively surprised if we didn't look at a new GM / head scout or whoever recommended players like Wesley, Nakamba, Engels, Trezeguet. Particularly Trez and Wes have been a catastrophy. 

Anyway. Season is not over. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got to go. Club won't pull the trigger just got to hope Deano walks for the good of the club, but would be mad on a personal level to quit. Can't blame him for staying on. But we are down if he stays, players haven't bought into the system he is playing. They are all trying their own thing and it shows

The most damning thing about Smith for me is that even last season we looked dreadful during a lot of his tenure. There's no signs whatsoever that he'll ever turn it around.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I like Smith and I've never called for this prior to tonight but he has to go. He looks to have lost the dressing room. Get him out and hope the bounce effect can keep us up.

Let's not forget if we win our game in hand we climb out of the bottom three. Let's give someone a chance to breathe new life and fresh ideas in to that team and that could still be possible 

Bloody hell what took you so long? What about the insanity of playing Wesley and Drinkwater?

Smith lost me tonight. I know that things have been getting progressively worse, but I hung onto hope that we might get a result somewhere over the next few games. The fact that tonight we had no structure, style, tactics, heart and we looked like we've never seen a corner taken in our lives (and none of this is new to tonight either), I feel like there's no turning this around. I'd get rid and look to get a manager in that we'd like to lead the team into next season, which will more than likely be in the Championship. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Getting a new manager solves nothing methinks. It's a knee jerk reaction to a much bigger problem.

We got promoted with a group of players not good enough for promotion, and that's just proven by the fact we ended up in the playoffs and not direct promotion. Smith might have saved the club to some degree, but he made it almost impossible for himself, considering we lost Tammy and had to replace a bunch of deadwood. We spent a fair wedge, but we clearly failed in the recruitment department. But even if we'd recruited better we'd still need them to gel as a team. It was a tough task. It's also clearly been a massive **** signing a lot of foreigners instead of signing a few more English players ready for the league. For all the poor stuff Targett has done, he looks better to me than most of our other purchases.

I'd rather stick with Smith and give this football he's trying to implement a good run. That means years of consistent development of youth players, years or consistent recruitment where players are signed to suit this philosophy and football. It means years of developing a philosophy and style of play to run through the club. 

We all know if we get relegated and start winning matches against players on our level people will be singing his praises again. This is about thinking long term.

There's obviously big issues we have to deal with. Like defending on set pieces. How we can big that bad on it begs questions, and I'm sure Smith agrees on that. If it's just as bad next season I'm all for doing more drastic moves. Personally I don't get the point of Terry if this is what he can help us with on our defence. I'd rather have another AM. 

Personally I think we're not good enough for PL football and it shows.

1) Individual errors.

2) Inaccurate passing.

3) Inability to track down and win loose balls from any set pieces. Or retain possession from throw-ins. 

4) No urgency, no determination or aggressiveness when we are trying to attack. We just piss around. And I think it's largely to do with our players not being good enough. 

5) Set piece defending. Comical. 

6) There's very little fight and toughness in them. Just soft. Whether this is a confidence thing I don't know. 

Ultimately I think we got maybe 3 solid PL players in Mings, Grealish and Samatta. At a push McGinn. When the rest of the players are championship standard, well then it's no surprise we will get relegated. 

But there's every chance we will come back up with a more settled squad, with more experience and hopefully more prepared to play PL football. 

As for changes to the club backroom staff:

1) I'd argue we probably need to look at getting in a new defensive coach. Our defending is just laughable at times. 

2) I'd also be massively surprised if we didn't look at a new GM / head scout or whoever recommended players like Wesley, Nakamba, Engels, Trezeguet. Particularly Trez and Wes have been a catastrophy. 

Anyway. Season is not over. 

This x1000000

19 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Did you not watch Watford away , Sheff Utd away , Bournemouth away and Southampton away  ?

they were equally shit performances 

This is worse

Â