Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Could well be clause of less compensation if we get relegated this season, simply don't know what the Ts and Cs are in the deal.

I am sure there is a relegation clause, which is why he won’t get sacked until it’s confirmed.

5 minutes ago, Graham t said:

He won't be sacked, the ink is still wet on his contract extension.........

Seems that bad decisions just follow our club around. 

Suppose we could've have Alan Pardew and 8 year contract, so could be worse. 

I’d probably put him on gardening leave until the end of the season. If we go down anyway let him have a season, he’s good enough for championship. If we stay up get rid and show some ambition. No offence but Smith is a nobody. Lovely bloke but this is the premier league not sentimental city.

• Like 1

Just now, Eastie said:

We shouldn’t be waiting to find out - sack him now while there is still time to turn it around 

They could've at xmas but backed him.

I get the feeling that rightly or wrongly the board are grateful he just got us up (one year ahead of schedule according to Purslow) so seems this year has been treated a free pass  for DS given the lacklustre transfer dealings in January.

However that dosen't mean the mindset won't change. I imagine the board expect us to at least fight into the last day to stay up. Losing 8 of our last 10 and I really can't see him surviving as it will be some losing run when you take into account we've now lost our last four in the league with loads of hard games still to play.

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

Smith isn't going anywhere. Any new manager isn't saving us. 

Smith gets his chance to get us back up next season for me as it always has been. 

Thank god you have no say in making the decision then 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Next season?

Ultimately in the unlikely event we sack DS tomorrow we simply have to get a firefigter type manager in and well there's two obvious candidates available which many would hate to see us appoint.

luckily Allardyce wont take this job now as he wont want the relegation on his CV :)

It's easy to say now, but before the match I wanted him to go 3 at the back. It worked wonders against them in the league cup, they cut through us like butter. Some tactics work better against some teams and worse against others. 

• Like 3

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Didn't you see Salifou's? Funniest thing I've seen on youtube. 

Tbf, no. I imagine it would have been bad though! 

I actually think Suso has managed to outdo Paddy Reilly in terms of shocking signings. You can defend it all you like by saying ‘oh, well we only had an average of 10m to spend on each player’, but f*** me, some of these lads wouldn’t cut it in a mid table championship side. 

Ive said it numerous times before but we’re a poorer side now than when we got promoted and we’ve spent 130m. Honestly, we may as well have just not bothered. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Thinking about smiths promotion.  Remember we had tammy here. 

It was a fluke no question for me.  

It was a fluke we had Tammy here. bizarre post

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I don’t doubt this squad wasn’t quite ready, and we have suffered from bad injuries too. But surely items 2-6 are areas you would expect a manager to address? And we have deteriorated as the season has progressed. I just don’t see any sparks or progress we can develop to improve, it needs a new approach.

It's difficult to know how much coaching a manager does. I've heard stories about absolute top managers and they do **** all coaching. They are just the figure heads that bring in their own staff to play the football they want. 

As for your point I'd say he's definitely responsible for our defending, even if it's not actually him doing the coaching. As for the other points I think it's not really on him. It just shows how bad the quality of players we got. They aren't good enough. Whether the manager is called Pep or Smith is completely irrelevant. You can't polish turds. We are playing Hourihane ffs.

• Like 1

Just now, WooJung said:

It's easy to say now, but before the match I wanted him to go 3 at the back. It worked wonders against them in the league cup, they cut through us like butter. Some tactics work better against some teams and worse against others. 

Yep tonight showed it's not as simple as going back to a flat back 4 and we'll defend much better.

Simple truth is we're just rubbish against any team with pace and movement in the front 3. Oh and a midfield that can press. Sadly for us that's most of the premier league. Only a few teams have that quality in the championship and we struggled v them last season aswell.

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Our only hope is a new manager bounce - get rid now , smith has  lost the dressing room 

Because you’re in the dressing room and have that inside knowledge.

Any manager would struggle with this pile of crap we currently have. It’s not about “losing the dressing room”.

It speaks volumes that with 10 games to go Smith still doesn't know who his best XI is, what his best formation is and whether to attack or sit back in games. I think he's throwing anything at the wall and seeing what sticks. I love the man and always will for last season, as we all should, but honestly if he can't answer these questions at this stage of the season I don't think he' should be there. 

The problem we have now is that who will come in and turn it around in time? If we don't stay up, does the appointment make sense in the longer term? Or are we going to go carry on going through a manager every 2 years or so?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Seems that bad decisions just follow our club around. 

Suppose we could've have Alan Pardew and 8 year contract, so could be worse. 

Didn't Brighton give Potter a 6 year deal around xmas and now he can't win a game either. He actually reminds me of DS in some ways, pleasing on the eye football but very green in certain aspects compared to say a Sean Dyche who knows this league inside out now and can cope with bad periods of form as Burnley had over December.

• Like 1

Â