Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Mantis said:

The most damning thing about Smith for me is that even last season we looked dreadful during a lot of his tenure.

It took a completely implausible out of nowhere run of form to get us up, prior to that we regularly looked awful, and even in that run we had our moments.

We've been shit more than good in his reign.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

2) I'd also be massively surprised if we didn't look at a new GM / head scout or whoever recommended players like Wesley, Nakamba, Engels, Trezeguet. Particularly Trez and Wes have been a catastrophy. 

Suso has to go. His shit signings smack of cosy arrangements with agent mates. Surely I'm not alone and loads of PL management people would've looked at Trez highlight reel and said this guy will not cut it in the PL

People keep blaming the players need to look at the confidence and nadda consistancy of this team. That comes with coaching chaps. Norwich for example are not good enough for this league but every game they look good and try there best. We are just a walkover, nearly a whole season and no better, that's seriously poor coaching, nothing even changes after half time team talks. 

Players look shit because Smith is trying to play Man city football with average players. Good enough to stay in this League, if not 17th, but not good enough to play so open tactics, exactly how he played with Brentford in the fizzy pop League.

6 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I really don't know who we would replace him with. Anyone have any genuine ideas? (Anyone but Smith doesn't count). 

This is my conundrum, if he DID go, I'd want us to somehow find our very own version of Nuno, or something along the lines.

It would be pointless going the usual route.

Jack goes and we keep the "better players", bin a few and move on to phase 2 of the rebuild.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Wasn't Smith decent at Brentford? Or was that just the set up and nothing to do with Smith ? 

Might have been decent - but no more than that - and is decent enough ?

Just now, Risso said:

Why is this clown still our manager? Absolute garbage.

Mostly as he is a Villa fan , I can't even begin to think of the Abuse Bruce would be getting after tonight game and the season as a whole 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Hilarious, the manager who hung on by the seat of his pants last season, and can't find another club.

Smith isn't the problem. We misjudged our transfer strategy, and it looks like Purslow and Suso cooked that up.

The big mistakes:

• Refusing to countenance making any loan signings until desperation struck in January
  • Not signing an outfield "leader" type with some PL experience - Grealish and Mings have played well this season, but I'm not convinced by their leadership qualities at this level. Not yet anyway.
  • Gambling everything on one striker.

Add in the injuries to Mings, McGinn, Wesley, and Smith has had a stinker of a hand here.

Just as an example, one of Smith's biggest critics on VT has said he 100% agreed with Smith's team selection today. Lol. Perhaps it's harder than it looks?

Half the people attacking Smith are attacking him for things that aren't even his job. At least spend some time thinking about it ffs. We're shit, yes, but our squad is half-baked. Any manager would struggle with it. We have no pace to hit teams on the counter, so Bruceball wouldn't work either.

I look at our defence and defensive mid, and to me it looks like a Championship defence + Mings. If we're still debating whether Hourihane or Elmo should start, or if Taylor is a better defender than Targett, then we have a huge, huge problem. This is not on Smith.

Your incredible backing smith to stay.  If he wasnt a villa fan you would want him out.

You sitting here criticising the defence who signed half of them? Who sets them up each week? Makes the selections.?

We were so bad at Southampton and he said he was gonna get a reponse and there is no way we woukd paly that bad again. Well what was tonight? A absolute shit show.

SMITH OUT

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Bloody hell what took you so long? What about the insanity of playing Wesley and Drinkwater?

I've always believed in backing a manager and providing stability mate. I hoped Smith would grow as a Premier League manager but sadly he looks out of his depth

Think he'll get sacked if we don't even reach 30 points which looks a strong possibility after tonight.

We had 25 points after beating Watford on January 21st and winnable games straight after.

That would certainly be relegation with a big whimper.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is my conundrum, if he DID go, I'd want us to somehow find our very own version of Nuno, or something along the lines.

It would be pointless going the usual route.

Jack goes and we keep the "better players", bin a few and move on to phase 2 of the rebuild.

Eddie Howe or Dyche - don't take no for an answer.

Our problem over the last 10 years has been poor managerial appointments. We can't keep fudging it - move heaven and earth and get a proven top flight manager in. 

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is worse

It was worse. I honestly didn’t think it could get worse than Southampton away but we managed it. 

I don’t remember a worse/more embarrassing Villa performance in living memory.

As a Villa fan, Smith will be upset and ashamed tonight. I think he probably has to go. Sigh. 

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It took a completely implausible out of nowhere run of form to get us up, prior to that we regularly looked awful, and even in that run we had our moments.

We've been shit more than good in his reign.

Yep. With hindsight, it does look as if we fluked our way up and that made Smith look far better than he actually is.

Â