Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Biggest load of bollocks ive read. Revisionism as in that case we should have sailed the league and Smith wouldn't thave needed to be hired 

Makes absolutely no sense

Smith is just out of his depth imo. His teams never defend well. He's had luck with the players he inherited in order to get us up, with Jack, Tammy, McGinn, Mings etc. I think him and the coaching staff have been bloody awful this season. Fair enough putting a new squad together is never going to be easy. However I really don't think there has been any significant improvement in any area since the start of the season in the 11 and set up. We've been driven by our captain all season and are still flailing around switching this, that and anything with zero continuity. I really don't see us surviving with him in charge and see no point in giving him next season minus the 3 players above and a couple more.    

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Smith isn't going anywhere. Any new manager isn't saving us. 

Smith gets his chance to get us back up next season for me as it always has been. 

Why do you still back him? Can you not see what is happening on the pitch every single week?

I dunno. The romantic in me wants him to stay but the reality is fast becoming very unpleasant reading. You could say the owners could have sacked Bruce earlier so I think they will keep Smith on no matter what. 

On one hand you can't say he is doing a good job and apart from about 3 months last year it has been mostly average to poor. Going up was a glorious fluke but we haven't taken advantage of it. 

Statistically most play off winners go down but in fairness we have spent a lot in player recruitment but has it been quantity over quality? And how much has the recruitment been down to Smith?

What does baffle me is how piss poor the defence has been under Smith when he was a central defender along with JT as well.

Do you believe in Smith can get us straight back up like Dyche at Burnley or will we collapse under the weight of expectation in a Jack free zone?

Questions, questions.

• Like 2

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Do you believe in Smith can get us straight back up like Dyche at Burnley or will we collapse under the weight of expectation in a Jack free zone?

I think it will be exactly like the season we went down.. clubs will be well up for playing against us and we won’t be prepared. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The real irony in that for me is that Farke wouldn't last at this club. He finished 14th his first season at Norwich. And that was in the championship. If Deano had us at 14th in the championship people on here would be running around Aston with pitchforks. 

But were Norwich putting in gutless performances three quarters of the time during Farke's first season? Probably not.

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I think it will be exactly like the season we went down.. clubs will be well up for playing against us and we won’t be prepared. 

This. 100% this. 

3 minutes ago, jim said:

Last season when we were poor all I read on here was the players weren’t good enough. 

This season once again the players aren’t good enough. 

What about the manager? It can’t always be the players, he has to shoulder a lot of the blame for where we are. 

I agree. The same happened with Bruce. His most vocal defenders blamed the players for the most part, yet those players got promoted.

The same is indeed being said now.

But the players, whilst on the whole not world beaters, are roughly on a par with all our rivals. 

But only if the Coach can get the best out of them.

On ( too many ?) occasions this season, our players haven’t been at their best. On at least half a dozen occasions, they have been at their worst. Whilst they can be criticised for that, ultimately it’s the fundamental job of Head Coach to get the best out of them.

Im afraid that whatever the long term desire for stability, or a particular type of football, or the effect of injuries, or anything else, if it’s the case the Coach can’t get the best out of what he’s got, at least more often than not,  you need a different coach.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Why do you still back him? Can you not see what is happening on the pitch every single week?

Yeah it's rubbish and we're going down. 

He done a fantastic job to get us promoted in the first place and I've backed him long enough to believe he gets the chance to get us back up. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I won't lie, I would definitely take Allardyce until the end of the season.

I actually would have taken Allardyce in December and would still take him.

It will be horrible football but we might actually defend and grind out results, and it's hardly joyous watching the utter crap we're seeing every week at the moment under our current clueless manager. 

Just now, Farlz said:

Yeah it's rubbish and we're going down. 

He done a fantastic job to get us promoted in the first place and I've backed him long enough to believe he gets the chance to get us back up. 

With no JM JG TM, zero chance. We were early on our promotion CP said but going down is a good 3 years again, at least. 

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Absolutely I can. It’s rubbish. Our squad is genuinely not premier league quality. Not even Fergie could sort it out. 

People are so quick to forget where this man has taken us and the challenge he has had to face this year putting an entire squad together. It hasn’t worked out, but hiring and firing managers and constantly starting from scratch like we have for the last 10 years is clearly not the solution. 

If there’s anyone to blame, it’s our recruitment team as a whole in which Smith is only a cog. 

Â