Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I was pretty frustrated with the villa teams set up yesterday . I  think spurs played pretty poorly yesterday and still came away with a win . Im fed up of the way the team is organised.We cant defend so high up the pitch and allow teams to break into the space (once again on offer) WHY cant the coaching team see this. TBF Spurs on a better day would have scored 4  - 5 goals  with the space on offer.  

This happens time and time again. If the coaching staff cant see this we have a problem. Im not convinced the system is suitable for the players with have , and lack of mobility in midfield. To be honest it looks almost last chance saloon football already..

1 minute ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I was pretty frustrated with the villa teams set up yesterday . I  think spurs played pretty poorly yesterday and still came away with a win . Im fed up of the way the team is organised.We cant defend so high up the pitch and allow teams to break into the space (once again on offer) WHY cant the coaching team see this. TBF Spurs on a better day would have scored 4  - 5 goals  with the space on offer.  

This happens time and time again. If the coaching staff cant see this we have a problem. Im not convinced the system is suitable for the players with have , and lack of mobility in midfield. To be honest it looks almost last chance saloon football already..

We had 55% possession against last seasons champions league finalists and could have been out of sight after 20 mins had we just been able to finish. 

There's no two ways about it. We need to tighten up, and we need to do it now. I understand what Smith is trying to do, but we lack the firepower to outscore teams at this level. Our "pressing" is just too easily bypassed, and at the same time we are leaving ourselves way too exposed at the back. We play almost like a youth team, and we keep making the same mistakes game after game. I don't think I've ever seen a Premier League team give as much space to the opposition in the final third as we do.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

50 attempted passes with 86% completion best for starting Villa player. Probably wanted to go for it rather than play for draw

I'm sure Nakamba would probably better that stat if he played, i don't remember Drinkwater making any positive or key passes in the game

50 attempted passes with 86% completion best for starting Villa player. Probably wanted to go for it rather than play for draw

And still he was the lowest rated midfielder on the pitch on Whoscored and the lowest rated of all players on Sofascore.

2 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

You know the goalkeeping coach will have the same qualifications of the other staff right? The goalkeeping qualifications are done after the normal coaching ones. Don't think theres too much unusual here

I didnt no.. i do now though

9 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

We had 55% possession against last seasons champions league finalists and could have been out of sight after 20 mins had we just been able to finish. 

mate the game is for 90 minutes -  we play for one half - Yesterday spurs should have destroyed us if were honest  Reina kept us in the game.My point is were inconsistent and constantly set up very poorly as a team to defend when we dont have the ball. WE do not learn!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sne said:

And still he was the lowest rated midfielder on the pitch on Whoscored and the lowest rated of all players on Sofascore.

No don't be silly. Of course one stat prove everything. 

I swear some people don't watch games and just wait for Opta updates. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

No don't be silly. Of course one stat prove everything. 

I swear some people don't watch games and just wait for Opta updates. 

I'm only just watching the highlights because game was 3am Monday morning and have to sleep for work 

I'm only just watching the highlights because game was 3am Monday morning and have to sleep for work 

Then trust me, if you'd see the entire game you'd have noticed the little impact he has and the amount he struggled. 

The fact he lasted 60 minutes was unbelievable. 

He should be behind hourihane, nakamba and Luiz at this point. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Uncle Albert said:

Ive been saying this for a long time, i find it bizarre that cuttler gives players instructions before coming on

I think it’s set piece instructions. It was mentioned in the Athletic article on Cuttler the other day that he leads set piece planning (which makes sense if you think about it).

When a new player comes on, he already knows how to play wide right or attacking mid or whatever. The thing that is most likely to go wrong tactically is their positioning on set pieces (since this often changes from game to game), so I’m guessing that’s why they get a final briefing from Cuttler as they head on to the pitch.

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Villa are just too susceptible to the counterattack with the better teams in the Premiership cutting through the middle of Villa almost at will. It’s is also why imo that Villa’s record against the top teams in the division is so poor.

We are Norwich on a bigger budget. Basically.

Problem is we play with a very high line. And in this league, that is playing with fire.

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We are Norwich on a bigger budget. Basically.

Problem is we play with a very high line. And in this league, that is playing with fire.

One of the commentators did compare us to Norwich, says he enjoys watching us, but our defending is killing us.

Andy Gray said he wasn't concerned about us staying up until yesterday, due to the nature of how we lost the game.

Says at half time he thought we could/would go on to win it.

Gutting all round.

19 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think it’s set piece instructions. It was mentioned in the Athletic article on Cuttler the other day that he leads set piece planning (which makes sense if you think about it).

When a new player comes on, he already knows how to play wide right or attacking mid or whatever. The thing that is most likely to go wrong tactically is their positioning on set pieces (since this often changes from game to game), so I’m guessing that’s why they get a final briefing from Cuttler as they head on to the pitch.

This. 

The instructions that all players receive when they come on are set piece ones. Sometimes you also see the manager have a word as well and those will be more tactical/motivational things I'd assume but set pieces are so important you can't have one player trying to figure out what to do on the fly anymore

FFS, its stupid to think we should win every game.If we are playing last season`s Champions League finalists,then I would expect us to go for a draw,not a win.I think DS thinks we are going to go on a 5/6/7 game winning streak and haul ourselves up to safety.The trouble is that when we reach the last 5/6/7 games of the season,its much too late because then we MUST win or go down.

Â