Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Avcol said:

Premier League. Hasn't been called the Premiership in 15 years. Others have corrected you yet you still say it.

Regards,

Avcol

And what, some people can call it that if they want, to them that's what it is and was and that's ok.

I don't know why people need to be so corrective on forums, you totally understood him.

Call it the premiership, the prem, the premier Graham t, it's all good by me.

Back on topic:

I really do think for most of the game with Spurs that we really did take it to them. Crosses were at times pretty painful for spurs, they had a rough time dealing with them and that something we have had a rough time nailing down. Our passing for most part was much better and we found gaps in spurs midfield especially down the flanks. The one problem we have without a doubt is our striking it has to be better, as despite our two goals we had tons of chances that we hit straight at the keeper, in fact it was unreal how many hit Lorris.

I do believe if we can play like that against spurs then we really should gain enough Victory's to seal survival, we really had spurs messed up for the majority of the game.

I think there are many positives that can be built on from Spurs game, even though we lost. Our players looked refreshed and at times had more aggression in them which is what has been lacking.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Spurs had an expected goals ratio of 3.99.

Us, 2.00.

We fought well but Spurs fully deserved their victory.

Most definitely. Created more clear cut chances and we were too bad defensively to have deserved anything.

Always interested in the post match votes on Smith.  He picks the team etc so does, as any boss, take ultimate responsibility. But some posters post purely on the result.

The stat thats picked out is villas defending. As Motd said last night its naive and inexperienced. I'd agree. 

The villa back 5 outfield defenders have played a total of 122 times in the premier league. It's not villas coaching that is naive or poor it was the recruitment. We needed an old head (I thought this would be Terry on the sidelines), on the pitch, a Cahill type player. 

I honestly don't think smith has much to do with the signing of players. Yes he picks them but, we definitely have 3 premier league stars, mcginn, mings, grealish. If only 1/3 plays we're going to struggle. 

Think it's a testament to the coaching that even with the glaring deficiencies in the squad, the general consensus is we played well (but ultimately lost). 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Something isn't right behind the scenes when three previous centre backs cannot organise the defence and our goalkeeping coach is giving our attacking substitutes instructions before they take to the pitch.

Ive been saying this for a long time, i find it bizarre that cuttler gives players instructions before coming on

5 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

Ive been saying this for a long time, i find it bizarre that cuttler gives players instructions before coming on

You know the goalkeeping coach will have the same qualifications of the other staff right? The goalkeeping qualifications are done after the normal coaching ones. Don't think theres too much unusual here

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Something isn't right behind the scenes when three previous centre backs cannot organise the defence and our goalkeeping coach is giving our attacking substitutes instructions before they take to the pitch.

Plenty of teams are coached by many defenders and still come unstuck. I wonder how many ex-defender coaches Steve Bruce has at Newcastle? They lost 4-0 yesterday.

Football isn't as simple as you're making out.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Engels had a brainfart, I dont see how this is on Smith at all. 

Individual errors aren't down to the manager, the same way that individual brilliance isn't. We were incredibly lucky Reina pulled off 3/4 top saves and Spurs put a few sitters wide.

Unfortunately it seems like we're relying on one, the other, or both too often.

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

We were unlucky. The performance was good but the result wasn't. If we play like that every game we wouldn't be where we are now. We really struggle away from home. 

Seriously, we were not unlucky. We could have lost the game 6-3. We simply seem unable to defend as a team, unable to find the balance between trying to create whilst not offering up numerous opportunities on our goal. Spurs didn’t have to try hard for their chances, they had acres to simply run into with simple balls knocked over the top down the flanks. That’s not bad luck, it’s piss poor team set up. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Engels had a brainfart, I dont see how this is on Smith at all. 

Where the back line played all game was the issue, we offered Spurs chance after chance against a high back line. Spurs will not create chances easier against anyone else this season. We were a mistake waiting to happen. And that’s in the management/coaching 

His decision to include Drinkwater over Nakamba was baffling.  Understandable if Mings was playing, but with Mings out, I would have thought that Nakamba would have been a no brainer to give that added defensive quality.  He needs to work on set pieces both offensively and defensively.  Offensively, our set pieces are diabolical and why we concede so much from corners and free kicks is beyond me.  We have 3 centre backs ffs.  

• Like 1

Â