Dean Smith

Demitri_C

A lot of CBs have deceptive pace...as much as we laugh now about his physical shape Dunney was pretty quick over a certain number of yards when running with striker. Mellberg aswell was pretty quick from memory.

CB all about positioning of course and ultimately if you play a high line you'll be caught out from time to time and then it's a case if you can get back and time your recovery tackle to perfection.

Nothing to do with pace when you let a through ball run under your foot though...

• Like 2

On 19/02/2020 at 17:46, rodders0223 said:

We are. It's not like we are playing free flowing champagne football and getting done.

We play terrible football, surrender the ball at will, play ultra conservative and still get caught out half a dozen times a game.

I don't think we play conservative footbal at all....In Fact Jermaine Jenas used the exact word after the Spurs game and said we should be more conservative.....we get caught out for sure, But I do think the football is easy on the eye.

champagne football is not what we play, because we can't keep the ball well enough or pass well enough to do that.

I think we play Naive football.....Why? I have no idea.

I have a suspicion and thats all it is, that the club buy players with one eye on selling them, or recovering a possible deal, that doesn't work out.......and not necessarily the right type of player for the teams needs.

Edited by TRO

I actually don’t think we are that bad with the ball. It’s without it we are shocking. We get split open with ease and the defenders panic like crazy whenever a cross comes in. Without Mings they do anyway.

We’re just good not good enough to play a high line against the better teams.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually don’t think we are that bad with the ball. It’s without it we are shocking. We get split open with ease and the defenders panic like crazy whenever a cross comes in. Without Mings they do anyway.

We look a bit better with the ball when Grealish is drifting in from the flank so that we don't have to play both El Ghazi and Trez.

Having Reina who is so comfortable with the ball at his feet also gives our players and additional outlet which helps a lot.

Same with Samatta who is much better at holding up the ball and create space to exploit.

When our front line was El Ghazi-Wes-Trez we pretty much instantly gave the ball away.

But I agree, we are way too open when we lose the ball and when we don't have it. And the high line is asking for trouble.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

High line isn't to bad, it's the fact that Nakamba doesn't stay back with his speed to cut out any attacks that leak through for a run at our goal. That's what happened Nakamba came on and he was doing ever so well, then the last ten to fifteen he went and pushed with the rest of them, so when Engels messed up, if Nakamba had stayed back, I do firmly believe we'd of gotten a point from spurs.

I do agree with what some are saying, we have not the time anymore for people to get fit or come good, Bringing drinkwater I  was a bad idea and we should of shopped for a first team regular.

I also agree with whoever said that we managed to bring in two first team Premier experienced keepers, so why then did we go and buy a bunch of inexperienced players who have no premier play time for rest of the positions.

Not many game left anyway, were about to see if our squad are really worthy of this league or will they fold and prove everyone they were a waste of time and money.

Edited by Dave-R

14 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Take the romance out of it loves the club villa fan etc yes players making errors,but week after week were seeing same mistakes why is he immune to critism.

He’s English. 

Tbh if our owners are serious about establishing us as a “top” side then long term Smith isn’t the man. 

Tactically outmanoeuvred week in week out, basics not done, abysmal marking, pressing and defending set pieces. Also suspect motivator

He may get a swing next half but personally I’m done with him, nice guy just not good enough att this level. 

Our goals conceded so far is 1.8 per game, I challenge anyone to defend that you can’t 

Don’t see the fuss about. According to Smith it’s those in or around us that we need to beat (Even that we can’t do properly). Southampton are in the lofty heights of 12th at the moment. I’ve written off the cup final, add another poor performance there and well....

Just said in match thread though - the guys who thought it a good idea to give him a bumper contract in November - will be the ones choosing the next manager - be wary of looking to the boardroom for salvation, because pulling rabbits out of hats isn't a habit they have.

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Don’t see the fuss about. According to Smith it’s those in or around us that we need to beat (Even that we can’t do properly). Southampton are in the lofty heights of 12th at the moment. I’ve written off the cup final, add another poor performance there and well....

But him getting us there means he warrants next season regardless 

We aren't going to sack him clearly (and in some ways the thought scares me as I suspect they'd give Terry a crack), but it seems he's quite likely to be in the position he is. Had a decision not obviously been made that he's not going anywhere he'd be on his way by now.

Week in week out we look awful.

This pattern has been happening all season - reasonable performance followed by utter garbage!!

Im sick of the way we continually set up its not working we invite pressure ! Why cant DS see what every other manager and tea lady can see in the whole of the football league.

Yes he is a villa fan yes he got us promoted - 

Patience wait build   - yes if you can see some improvement

but this is utter garbage and its the same week in week out with the occasional 25 mins of football that give you hope.

Â