Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

FFS, its stupid to think we should win every game.If we are playing last season`s Champions League finalists,then I would expect us to go for a draw,not a win.I think DS thinks we are going to go on a 5/6/7 game winning streak and haul ourselves up to safety.The trouble is that when we reach the last 5/6/7 games of the season,its much too late because then we MUST win or go down.

Don't worry, Pulis will get another job soon enough so you can enjoy watching a team play for a draw at home in the most dour way possible. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Graham t said:

Absolutely spot on. This really is something that is taught at junior football level. Seeing this at professional level us truly shocking.

Regards,

VLD.

Truly shocking he says, after the last decade of apparently watching us. 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

Watching the game yesterday it was quite apparent that the balance in midfield isn’t right. In fact it’s something Smith has struggled with all season. Villa are just too susceptible to the counterattack with the better teams in the Premiership cutting through the middle of Villa almost at will. It’s is also why imo that Villa’s record against the top teams in the division is so poor.

As I’ve stated in the Drinkwater thread playing Luiz and Drinkwater together in a midfield two especially against the top six is just asking for trouble. Neither player is blessed with pace nor physicality so they cannot catch midfielders breaking beyond them. I was actually embarrassed for Drinkwater who was trying to track Spur’s midfielders yesterday but he just didn’t have the pace to do it looking almost cumbersome.

Even before Drinkwater was signed Villa were being cut open at will by the better teams through the middle because Villa were not set up to nullify this to accommodate Villa’s lack of pace and physicality in midfield. 

If I can see this watching on tv then you can bet your bottom dollar any opposing Premiership coach or manager will see this as well. It’s been happening all season so why can’t Smith or his coaching staff do something about it?

It makes it even more perplexing why Smith would then sign an unfit midfielder who hasn’t played consistently for a year or more then start him in a midfield two against the Champion League finalists?

If Villa want to avoid relegation, looking at their remaining fixtures and what’s available player wise at the moment then Smith must play a three in the middle for the rest of the season and hope Mings stays fit while getting a badly missed McGinn back.

I agree but would say its not only the top teams cutting us apart its been  the whole division. 

The issue we have had all season is the players at smiths disposal do not fit the style of play he wants to implement. They are either not mobile enough or not physical enough. We can play in patches and have good periods but its just not sustainable. So why we signed Drinkwater i do not know!! why we continue to play so open and offer teams the stroll casually thru the midfield i do not know? Why we play a high line when we are so susceptible to the counter I do not know. This has been happening all season and nothing has changed. Every manager in the league has  worked us out but we still continue the same week in week out.

• Like 2

High line with Engels last man is the issue. Leave Konsa last man (or Guilbert on set pieces) and I think it would look a lot less risky.

I like Smith, but I don't understand why he didn't do something about this. Engels played well at RCB against Bournemouth. Konsa might be a bit of a liability, but he's rapid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Can't believe how many players and fans saying we were unlucky. They created way more CCCs than us ffs.

General consensus from non Villa fans yesterday in the bar I was watching. They said Villa were unlucky and was one of the best games this season 

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

General consensus from non Villa fans yesterday in the bar I was watching. They said Villa were unlucky and was one of the best games this season 

Don't get me wrong...with the ball we played very well. But defensively.....

It's such a shame that Douglas Luiz chance wasn't tucked away. It would have been one of the goals of the season. I don't remember many relegated clubs playing football like that - maybe Blackpool?

In fact I just looked at Blackpool's 2010-11 season...

19th. W:10 D:9 L:19 GF:55 GA:78 GD:-23 Pts:39

If we average out our current record to a full season:

W:10 D:6 L:22 GF:50 GA:73 GD:-23 Pts:36

Looks very similar. They were a very popular team that year, played some lovely gung-ho attacking football, and scored loads more goals than the teams around them.

We really need Mings, McGinn and Grealish to start as many games as possible.

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Since has been a complaint about why did we let Chester go. Well Stoke fans are fuming about him and said he cost them the last 2 games

I didn't ever rate him highly myself to be honest.

But sending him off when we're almost in a position of having to change formation or play...Neil Taylor...I'd rather he stayed.

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I didn't ever rate him highly myself to be honest.

But sending him off when we're almost in a position of having to change formation or play...Neil Taylor...I'd rather he stayed.

I dont disagree but some posters think he should be starting ahead of Engels yesterday 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave-R said:

And what, some people can call it that if they want, to them that's what it is and was and that's ok.

I don't know why people need to be so corrective on forums, you totally understood him.

Call it the premiership, the prem, the premier Graham t, it's all good by me.

You're right, Dave-S

• Haha 1

Â