Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Can’t offer more than what’s already been said. 

In the grand scheme of things, his success has been a great success, but a football manager’s employment rarely ends on a happy note.

I’m sure one day I’ll appreciate the novelty of a Villa manager’s final victory being against Manchester United of all teams. 

Not today, but one day.

So very sad. I honestly didn't think it would happen so soon. Granted results (and performances) have been below par for a while. Then again, there have been plenty of mitigating circumstances too, but football is an ultimately cruel business. I fear for our short-term prospects, especially if Shakespeare et.co. are still with us. 

• Like 2

It's a very sad day, one of the most likeable managers we've ever had, but very relieved he has gone because I can't stand the thought of another relegation fight or relegation, changing managers doesn't guarantee that won't happen though so I hope we have someone lined up who is decent.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wanted Dean to have more time with the new players and to turn things around but I understand the club not dithering with a decision. With Dean when we were playing well we were brilliant but when not we were abysmal. So jekyll and hyde! It's been a roller coaster but ultimately full of great moments to look back on. I just hope the club appoint someone worthy of our ambitions and project and not just for change sake. Thankyou Dean, all the best to you. UTV! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Not watching that tribute video,  thanks.

😪

Tbf it’s pretty much the 3 years anniversary one from a few weeks ago.  Just with more sombre music and Grealish featuring this time.

• Like 1

It was inevitable given the results, trajectory and flagging morale, I felt after Friday a change was finally needed. Having seen this in black and white I have to say I feel a genuine sadness, he is a top bloke, and honest and a true Villa fan who briefly lived the dream and got us back to the promised land. Some really good moments and memories during his tenure and we rarely played badly last season. It’s a great pity, I think he might of got us to where we wanted given time, but not quickly enough regrettably.

Thank you Dean and good luck in your next move (Norwich?), I know you will always be welcomed and revered at Villa Park for the rest of your days.

Edited by thunderball

This is very sad,  but at the same time, I think we have looked out of options in the last matches. So maybe we needed a ruthless decision. Not really sure, I would have given him a few more matches to turn it around.

My biggest fear is that we end up with a new manager that is not the best we can get, and then we will waste 2-3 years instead of letting Smith build on to the things he has started.

And not going to give Smith big excuses, but I also think some of our most beloved players have let him down this season. Mings at fault for many goals, Watkins not scoring and losing the ball too easy, giving dangerous counters to our opponents. Even McGinn has been giving away the ball recklessly and costing us points.

3 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

FFS Villa, I hope you know what you're doing.

Thought I'd check the app and the first thing I see is Club Statement

Didnt even bother reading it

Randy, Xia, NSWE, there's no comparision

I have faith, an Purslow being a footballing man too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just heard. 

Utterly, utterly shameful. 

I'm angry. 

I'm shocked. I'm not angry. I think its just modern day football management. No loyalty. No patience. And maybe that's the right way to be. The research has probably been done and sacking a manager might be the right thing to do in these circumstances according to the stats.

It doesn't feel right though. 

The game is gone. 

I've been watching my local club galway utd more and more, and taking an active interest in players coming through to the senior Irish team. After almost 30 years following Villa, i think my interest in premier league football and support for sportswashing (and a country which continually chooses Boris Johnson as their leader) is ending.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, imavillan said:

I think this tweet from John Gregory sums it all up perfectly.

Was thinking of writing something on here. Don't think it can be put any better than that though.

Thank you Dean

Edited by Tubby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just heard. 

Utterly, utterly shameful. 

I'm angry. 

I hear you. But 5 losses in a row with the team looking worse and worse with each game is hard to survive, anywhere. I think the brass were unhappy with last season's finish and a spell like this was never going to be tolerated much longer than it was. 

In the poll, I voted to give him another game after a Soton loss. He'd earned the two week break to try to finally put things right. It is really **** sad that they've cut him loose, but it's a business and it's their money on the line, so I understand it.

The look on his face at the final whistle yesterday made me really feel for Dean. He looked like his dream was shattering before his eyes. I wish things were different. I'll always look at that Wolves collapse as the point of no return. Had we won that game....

Sad day in Villa Land.

Edited by maqroll

9 minutes ago, vreitti said:

So very sad. I honestly didn't think it would happen so soon. Granted results (and performances) have been below par for a while. Then again, there have been plenty of mitigating circumstances too, but football is an ultimately cruel business. I fear for our short-term prospects, especially if Shakespeare et.co. are still with us. 

Surely the entire backroom will be shown the door. At least I hope so, and would've preferred them all to go and DS to stay.

• Like 4

Will always appreciate what Dean Smith did for us, he gave us our Villa back.

Unfortunately this is a results business and no one is safe.  I think he was unlucky losing Grealish for 10 games at the end of last season and all the injuries and disturbance at the start of this season but results are important and these owners will not accept failure.

The one man I definitely want is Graham Potter.  It would be a perfect appointment for both sides. 

Edited by MJ_1874

Â