Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We'll obviously be putting feelers out to other managers. I mean in modern climate that's common sense (especially when the stated ambition pre season was to do much better than 15th).

Seems Spurs acted when they had cast iron guarentee that Conte was prepared to come and so they sacked Nuno probably quicker than anticipated. We'll be same with whoever we've selected to eventually replace DS.

Now it's purely a question of timing and I fear with fixtures we have looming in December it's a big gamble to wait another few weeks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We'll obviously be putting feelers out to other managers. I mean in modern climate that's common sense (especially when the stated ambition pre season was to do much better than 15th).

Seems Spurs acted when they had cast iron guarentee that Conte was prepared to come and so they sacked Nuno probably quicker than anticipated. We'll be same with whoever we've selected to eventually replace DS.

Now it's purely a question of timing and I fear with fixtures we have looming in December it's a big gamble to wait another few weeks.

This will have been happening for a while I believe. I think Smith is done the question is just if they can get who they want from another club during the season.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Just an idea here, something I was considering on Friday night....

Maybe Deano's departure was agreed this weekend following the Southampton game, yet being the classy PR machine that we seem to be and how they're very good at operating with discretion (see the Ings transfer) they've agreed that nothing will be announced until Monday or within the working week, for what I'm sure will be many reasons. To seemingly "pull the trigger" in the public eyes on a weekend just, in my opinion, looks like a knee-jerk move and I know the guys at our club care about perception in the public eye.

Yes, I agree with what your saying here and I was thinking about this on Friday evening.

We don't seem to be run to bring unwanted negative attention in our direction in such a situation.

You just need to look at the media laughing stock that Newcastle have already became in their search for a manager onky to land up with Eddie Howe.

The last thing AVFC wanted was for Linekar to put those stupid glasses on and read a statement from a piece of paper on MOTD announcing Villa have parted ways with Smith.

Taking a more subtle approach to the situation and announcing his replacement within days or hours, thus avoiding a media merry go round of weeks of endless bullshit and potential candidates. It's just not the image the board want of this club.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Who knows? Would Bruce have been sacked if Whelan had slotted in the penalty v Preston and we'd won 4-3 that night.

I do think if Brighton go 2/3 up at VP they'll be dissent. Not what likes of McLeish got but DS getting his subs booed and probably a few Smith out chants for first time from the Holte. If we lose to Brighton there's a fair chance we'll end that weekend 18th.

Seems Spurs pushed forward the decision to sack Nuno with how crowd reacted to his decisions v Man. United.

Sure he experienced that before in the Championship when Hourihane got booed

Smith will be another Wilder, a highly touted English manager who was over feted, had his time in the limelight & media train then is forgotten when the next great hype comes through. See Wilder appointment at Middlesbrough - tactically he was being hailed  as a maverick 2 years ago but someone’s whose name isn’t in the the mix for Prem jobs and goes back down to the championship to manage. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Smith will be another Wilder, a highly touted English manager who was over feted, had his time in the limelight & media train then is forgotten when the next great hype comes through. See Wilder appointment at Middlesbrough - tactically he was being hailed  as a maverick 2 years ago but someone’s whose name isn’t in the the mix for Prem jobs and goes back down to the championship to manage. 

If anything Smith has rarely got the credit for the job he has done. It was always Wilder, Bielsa, Frank and now Potter who gets the media attention. 

As for Wilder Premier League clubs rarely hire English managers, Howe is an exception

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Shakespeare has been here over a year now. I think it has gone pear shaped since Danks came in but could be a coincidence

Danks and Mcfee. Someone mentioned before on here that perhaps training isn't as fun as they over analyse set pieces etc to death. 

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Buendia can't play in the middle. He may be able to, but he never has played there and on the limited displays we've seen so far he is not yet ready to make that transition. 

Ings also seems better than Watkins on current form.

There in lies the problem Dean has though. We have zero idea what our best 11 is. And even if Dean thinks he does, he hasn't been able to play it thanks to injuries, and other unlucky reasons. 

Not sure it excuses 5 defeats in a row though. We need a huge shift in both luck and effort, and we may end up never knowing if Dean would have turned it around with a fully fit squad.

During the course of a season there will  always be injuries and suspensions to varying degrees. There is no denying that this effects even the strongest of squads. The strongest squads obviously less so.

Whilst I think that over the period since we were promoted our squad has been quite limited, we haven’t coped at all well when we’ve lost our better players, with one very glaringly obvious example being the most critical. This is probably the biggest nail in Dean’s coffin. 

@MaVilla I've commented on your analysis / data before (it also kind of triggered me into doing the 2020 v 2021 comparison that I did a couple of days ago) and it perfectly highlights the thing I have been saying about us blowing either "hot" or "really cold" under Smith.

1494314402_villaform.png.f066351676004ffae3b489386b9df197.png

One the one hand you can't deny the upward journey we have been on.  But my issue has been that if you look below the surface there are worrying trends that have happened that we (Dean) seems to be no nearer to addressing.  We've had three (excluding current form) spells where for 12/13/14 matches we have picked up less than 10 points in total.  And in most of those spells our performances have got worse and worse and / or we seem to have just tried to do the same thing as the match before and expected a different outcome.  We've done very little to try and proactively move on.

I would have been really happy if last season we'd finished with the same points (even a couple less) but followed a pattern of results similar to that between Game 16 and 25 last season.  WIn won, lose one, draw one type form (adjusted for odd sequences of fixtures i.e. where you play 3 of the top 6 in quick succession) or a genuine run of bad luck like Games 13 - 16 which I think included two matches where VAR definitively denied us the result that our performance deserved).  That would represent the true consistently inconsistent nature of a mid-table team.  Finishing with a couple fewer points that last season but a more linear route to that final total would have represented progress to me.  It would have demonstrated that we were more solid over a period of time and that with a couple of additions to the squad to turn a couple of losses into draws and a couple of draws into wins that we were in a good place to push our challenge forward. 

You can't deny the progress we have made - which is why I hope that we will be able to look back on Smith's tenure positively.  But nothing seems to have happened to show that we are better at dealing with challenging spells.  You can argue that we've played some decent teams recently but it is the nature of the defeats against Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham and the way that we relinquished control against Wolves that stings.  All faults that we had in 19/20 and 20/21.  It is why I thought we should have been ruthless in the summer (and incurred the wrath of many on this forum for suggesting that Smith should be replaced) - for all the good / great things that Smith has done, he's singularly failed to stop us having these terrible runs.  This isn't about losing 5 on the trot and more about the fact that we have been here before many times and the thing that has usually saved us (the return to fitness of Jack) isn't going to drag us out of the mess this time around.  Yes we have injuries again but after 3 seasons our squad shouldn't be (and isn't) as reliant on one player (I think at the moment Dougie) being fit and on top form.  We seem to be in the exact same position as last season and the season before - a few good results followed by a sudden collapse in form / performance and no real plan or approach to getting out of it.  The tactics against Southampton were those of desperation not a considered attempt at changing tactics to capitalise on an identified weakness or to try and negate an issue that the opposition were exploiting.

• Like 2

Â