Dean Smith

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Last 10 games of smith. Shows how crap he has been doing and why he is being criticised 

20210516_162053.jpg

Could quite easily be bottom too at the end of the season if Fulham or Sheffield had anything to play for.

Just now, Tumblerseven said:

It is acceptable.

3rd from bottom and less  points than west brom is acceptable?

If the season started with those 10 games we will would be in a relagation fight again.

Acceptable?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I want him to be a success but he is not delivering in my view. All that really matters is what the owners think. I don’t think they will be happy and Dean is under massive pressure. 2 more really poor results could be enough for them.

The only place where DS is under 'massive pressure', is this message board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If the season started with those 10 games we will would be in a relagation fight again.

Acceptable?

If you look at those last 10 games I’d say the particularly bad results are draws with Newcastle and West Brom and today’s loss to palace. A win away at Everton is a very good result, a draw at home to Everton is decent enough and a home loss to Spurs slightly annoying.

Beating Fulham is to be expected as is losing to city, Liverpool and United. Our run of fixtures has to be one of the more difficult of the teams in the league over the last 10 games and we haven’t had our best player (one of the standout players in the league this season) available.

It’s not great form but looking at the fixtures were probably only a few point short of what would be deemed acceptable from those 10 fixtures.

7 minutes ago, Tumblerseven said:

It is acceptable.

Your lying to justify your post lad, it's obvious the last 10+ games have not been acceptable from how we started. Unless your using Grealish being injured, which is a more valid excuse.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Agreed. He’s not under pressure as we will have progressed from last season in a meaningful way. 

I think the worry is whether this current form is a blip or a warning sign for next season.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

He's not under any pressure from us chap, but he is under pressure, an if he ain't feeling it, he is in the wrong job!

• Haha 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

He's not under any pressure from us chap, but he is under pressure, an if he ain't feeling it, he is in the wrong job!

He's not under pressure regarding results in garbage time at the end of the season, come on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think the worry is whether this current form is a blip or a warning sign for next season.

Of course. Fwiw I do think were just severely fatigued. 

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's 2nd if we held on... 

Then you throw in the stat about Watkins hitting the woodwork, then the ropey VAR calls, then covid, then Barkleys injury and more importantly his reaction to it, then Jack's injury... 

We should have won the league 😉

So many factors to this season

One of the great ‘what if’ seasons. Still a lot to improve and build upon. 

30 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Carry on the form since january and we will be in a relegation scrap

Well, from 11th in the championship to 5th and from 17th in the PL to 11th.

If you want to play that game, we'll finish 5th and Europe next season.

That'll do.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But then surely you can argue that covid has had a negative effect this year. 

You can't use it as a reason against him last year and ignore it now. 

I don’t want to fall out with you mate. I suspect we are misunderstanding each other. My point is that Dean has admitted that the first, long Covid break was a great chance to take time out, re-assess and change things. Make tweaks which lead to an improvement in form. This is his opinion. Not speculation.

The second, much shorter Covid break seems to be used as an excuse for our form by certain parties (not the club).This is pure speculation with no evidence whatsoever. It also ignores the fact that our form had started to dip before the covid break. 
All we know is that 8 members of the squad had Covid. One of those was Trez who has hardly figured anyway. I am a medical layman but my wife played a significant role in the pandemic. She has not seen a single patient with extreme covid symptoms who is young and fit. Not one.

It is way too early to understand the illness and will take years of research to start to better understand it. Blaming our form on something we know nothing about is just speculation. Not even Dean, who better knows what going on, has done that. He just said that it affected our momentum. 

38 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think you're way off. 

Well. It’s just opinion. We will have to wait and see what happens. It would not be the first time that I was way off to be fair.

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Acceptable?

I know what you are saying. But the season didn't start 10 games ago. We need to look at the season as a whole. 

For me the season overall has been acceptable. We had a fantastic start to the season and we've been quite poor recently. DS has built up enough credit to allow him the summer and half of next season before I start to ask questions. Let's see where we are next Christmas. 

Been a very strange season both on and off the pitch. We'll probably never know how much the Covid outbreak played a role in our slump either.

It's disappointing how we've let our momentum slip, but there is no doubt we've made massive progress. Barring West Brom and Fulham who weren't in the division last year, every single club below us finished above us last year.

That's progress.

I'm sure the manager will learn from his mistakes - and there have been a few to ponder. I'm also sure he'll also want more options in the squad, so that he can actually make effective tactical changes in the game.

Cash, Traore, Watkins will all have their first even PL season under their belt. Douglas Luiz is a full Brazil international aged 23. El Ghazi has 10 goals so far, and has made the Dutch squad.

We've overtaken 7 clubs this season, including Wolves, and have had our best player out for 30% of the campaign. We'll be in a much better position to attract better players, as players won't perceive us to be a relegation risk.

Yes, just like the Burnley game, we **** it up today. The manner of the defeat probably does see fingers being pointed at the coaches, and we can't afford for these types of games to repeat themselves. However, it's been a solid campaign overall. We're probably the width of a post away from being up there with Everton, Arsenal and even West Ham. 

If we can add some quality to the team, Smith and co should be well placed to improve yet again next season.

• Like 1

Recent form isn’t good enough, I think we all know that. 
But, I’d like to think  the owners have a long term plan, they didn’t fire him last season when we were considerably worse, so I can’t see them firing now.

He’s improved us every year. 
There will be a time when he’s taken us as far as he can, but that’s not yet. 

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Havw a look at the last 10 games and you tell me that is acceptable?

Yes it's absolutely acceptable. 

Because it's totally taken out of the context of both the season, and his overall stewardship of the club. It also fails to address the horrendous injury record, the fact we had a huge Covid outbreak in January and that we are a team in a huge rebuilding process, following years of mismangement and no direction.

It is absolutely acceptable to have poor runs of form in any sport, for any team, for any player and for a multitude of reasons..

I bet you everything I own that the board find it "acceptable" as they are smart people who understand mitigation and logic. 

I also find it acceptable, whilst disappointing, for the very reasons I gave above. 

Now for an honest question that I really hope you will answer honestly and not avoid:

What do you think is a reasonable league finish this season for a club in its 2nd season back after finishing 17th last year and without its captain for 3 months? 

Genuinely would like to know. 

If you say top 6 then you are delusional.

If you say top half then even that would be a tough ask, although more reasonable of course, and would have been achieved had we had Jack for even half the time he was injured for 

So, please, given the circumstances of our club, what would be a reasonable finish this season?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Any reasonable person would have taken this league finish this season, especially when you consider Grealish being out for 40% of the season and the squad being wiped by covid. I assume that goes for you too.

So does it matter when we pick up the points? Is three wins on the bounce then 3 losses some how worse than win,loss,win,loss,win,loss?

Because if you are beating him with the losses you have to praise his genius of the winning runs.

I am a very reasonable person. You cannot just look at the league position. You have to look at the whole picture. Our form is terrible. We struggled  against every side in the division over the second half of the season. Not a single comfortable victory. That’s not good enough for me. I doubt it’s good enough for the owners but we will see.

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Acceptable?

Can you stop with these ifs? my god please stop with these ifs.

So we considered one man team by everyone and we lost this one man and we have bad run of results and thats unneceptable for you? Really? 

So you saying that the team in the middle of rebuilding who lost its main man  and who sits 11 safe from any danger of relegation  on the 2nd season of premier league is unneceptable for you.  Just confirm me this please.

We took our points earlier  we can lose some at the end because we can afford having a bad run because our team played really good at the start. Thats how it works some team play better at the start some at the end.

If your expectations was europe or winning the league that your freaking problems your delusions.

11 safe from relegation on the 2nd season in the premier league with grealish injury with pandemic it is acceptable for me. YES YES YES YES

Edited by Tumblerseven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â