Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Smith has said himself that the owners want European football, question is, is he the manager to get us there?

It's obviously not all down to him, our midfield is woeful, to many of them just cruise around the all game. We need a real b****** in there, doesnt have to be 6' + tall, just a warrior that will push the players around him too.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Out model is not based around Smith buying all the players for a start

Its then a case of some of these players have been bought for different reasons, not all of them have been bought for a European push, this is a squad assembled to finish mid table and that's exactly what it's done, there are several, maybe as many as 10 players in the squad who are not top half PL quality, there are a few that aren't even PL quality 

Unfortunately most weeks it looks like all 3 of the midfield and it kills us 

Yes and I think this is the right model (giving the manager all the power in signing players is what screwed us under O'Neill). I also agree that we've had to sign players based on where we were at any one time - but then as you pointed out Leeds signed two Spain players and a Germany player - and I suspect a key factor in them going there was the manager.

This summer will be huge - sign 3 or 4 first team players to fix our issues and there will be absolutely no excuse for starting next season poorly. 

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Crazy stat. We can turn it around next year. 

That's 2nd if we held on... 

Then you throw in the stat about Watkins hitting the woodwork, then the ropey VAR calls, then covid, then Barkleys injury and more importantly his reaction to it, then Jack's injury... 

We should have won the league 😉

So many factors to this season

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I want him to be a success but he is not delivering in my view. All that really matters is what the owners think. I don’t think they will be happy and Dean is under massive pressure. 2 more really poor results could be enough for them.

I think you're way off. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Last 10 games of smith. Shows how crap he has been doing and why he is being criticised 

20210516_162053.jpg

I'd respect this post if the criticism he's received had been limited to the last 10 games. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Or like me you could beleive that the 2nd half of the season is a direct result of the first

Us being safe at Xmas has lead to the players relaxing, the danger is they relax too far but then the reality also is that too many of these players still aren't good enough and need replacing anyway 

Most likely this.

Most people earlier this season would of said Luiz walks into the city team with ease, now where are those people because I stick by what I said by he'd have a very difficult job sitting in there bench.

Mcginn who had some great starts at the start of the season and many were saying he'd easy get into most of the first teams in this league, yeah right. We bought him for the championship and I think he's punched above his weight for to long and an upgrade is on the cards.

Ghazi- bought for the championship and an upgrade needed because he can score and has done a good job at all doesn't mean you keep a player on because they have one good thing about there game. Remember Hourihane well this is a similar story, decent with free kicks but can't keep him at the club just because of one trait to there game.

Hause- not to bad today but if we moved on we could bring a much better CB in because an upgrade is needed.

Elmo- has had his time here and it's time for him to move on, was shown to be the weakest link today, we need better filling that hole.

Traore- sometimes he's on it but when he's poor he's very poor and I'm struggling to see why he cost 17 million.

Won't give Ramsey any crap because he gets away with it abit because if his age and I would much rather see a youngster take the place of some of these under achieving seniors if this are the displays were going to see.

Watkins, Martinez, Target along with Konsa seemed to be the only players who made attempts to show they wanted to win the bloody game today.

Just because it's end of season or these players come back doesn't give them a reason to chill the rest of the season out. Whatever it is they are doing they are at the top of football and they should play like each game could be there last. I hope to god we don't have a bunch of players that are turning into the next team that thinks they have it all now and they are secure and won't be removed from there position, we had enough of that from before.

When I look at Watkins I'd kill to have another 10 of him on the pitch, he makes himself look double and he certainly gives of the feeling he's got a twin on the pitch.

Work rate, determination, agression and hunger, I didn't see any of that today from many of our players once the second half began. I felt like ringing someone's kneck on multiple times second half it was that bad the frustration and I still feel it now I think I ought to go sleep for the afternoon lol maybe I'll wake up later and this has all been a bad nightmare, one could only hope. I'm still baffled now as to how we lost that. I'm not entirely sure that the whole win some lose some comes into today, because how could we lose that as stupidly as we lost it in the end.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I bet most people start of season thought a relegation battle was back on the cards. It hasn’t been.

This has been a good season in weird circumstances. We remain in the PL and now we can build on that. We finally have a good structure in place and the good feeling at the club remains. You all honestly expect too much. Baby steps people. You don’t go from 17th to European challengers in one season sustainably...

Carry on the form since january and we will be in a relegation scrap

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

A slump is a run of a few games. This is half a season.. There has never been a consistent level of performance over the course of the season.

Any reasonable person would have taken this league finish this season, especially when you consider Grealish being out for 40% of the season and the squad being wiped by covid. I assume that goes for you too.

So does it matter when we pick up the points? Is three wins on the bounce then 3 losses some how worse than win,loss,win,loss,win,loss?

Because if you are beating him with the losses you have to praise his genius of the winning runs.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

I'd respect this post if the criticism he's received had been limited to the last 10 games. 

For me it is DC. I was very happy with the start of the season.

Did we just got relegated? no

Did we just lost a cup? no

The sheer panic and negativity in this sub is actualy unreal.

So some people just wait when we lose so they can write s*** about smith in this sub huh?

People said it to me didint believed it until now.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Not at all, I agree we need better than those particularly to compete with the teams near the top. I'm advocating another summer of spending, but I've said the spending needs to be on real quality to move us forwards now. I still am sceptical whether top players would come to play for Smith, but as far as I can see it will be Lange and MacKenzie tasked with getting the players to come. 

However, losing to the likes of Sheff U and Burnley, failing to beat the Boggies at home, even losing to Palace today - I don't believe we didn't win those games because we had inferior players put it that way. 

But this is the life of a midtable team. We get good and bad unexpected results. 

You're right, our squad has players capable of beating sheff u. But then on the flipside Liverpool, Leicester and Everton should be saying the same when they lose to us. 

Consistency will improve as squad depth does. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tumblerseven said:

So some people just wait when we lose so they can write s*** about smith in this sub huh?

Well yeah that's how it usually goes, your not going to write shit about Smith when it's all going fine and dandy are you?

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

Losing Mings and Cash is a pretty big deal, Hause didn't do badly but we look a different side without them, as soon as Palace pressed us we fell apart.

People rightly wanted Ross out of the team, but sadly Ramsey hasn't been the answer but it's hard to criticise Dean for giving him a chance. The Barkley experiment hasn't worked but it look a good move at the time, again Dean can't be blamed.

But... Dean can certainly be blamed for the passive second half performance today, where we were beaten by a team who simply 'wanted it a bit more' they went up a gear and we went on holiday.

Anwar was probably the best attacking player we had out there today, sticking him on the right an Grealish on the left, then sticking on Davis and Wes ultimately killed the game for us. MgGinn was superb in his first half but out on his legs on the hour mark, yet still wasn't subbed.

The ref was terrible, giving Ollie virtually nothing when he was fouled all the time.

The issue is the second half of the season has been made up of these types of performances, I've lost track of how many times we have let leads slip.

We've come along way, but we are starting to go backwards.

Great post 

To go from mid table in the Championship, to the Premier League, whilst reaching a cup final, maintain our PL status and then finish 6 places higher the next season, is am incredible turn of events.

Throw in a double over Arsenal, a 7 goal thrashing of the champions and wins at Everton, Leicester and Leeds and it becomes even more impressive. 

We will lose games that we should win during a period of rebuilding and it's bloody infuriating when it happens. But jeez, how anyone can give Smith shit for what he has achieved overall is mind boggling and very Newcastle esque.

That doesn't mean he can't be criticised for certain performances, but for a man who is only in his 2nd top flight season as either player or manager, he is doing an incredible job.

We are fortunate to have him.

• Thanks 2

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Carry on the form since january and we will be in a relegation scrap

It's so funny to read the same comments, often from the same people, every time we have a difficult/poor form.

It was the same after Christmas his first season. Then we went ona record breaking run that had not happened in over a century.

It happened last March when we massively struggled with a new squad, no striker and what not. There was no way apparently he would keep us up. Yet Deano did.

And now, because we started too well this season and got double slammed with injuries and covid after Christmas.

Deano will probably figure this out too and improve us, like he has CONSISTENTLY done season after season. Yet I bet you are are quiet then. The entitlement of some of you is just hilarious.

9 minutes ago, Tumblerseven said:

Havw a look at the last 10 games and you tell me that is acceptable?

Â