Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, avfc1982am said:

Is he though? The players and manager admitted last season was nowhere near good enough. With a high net spend this year I'm sure the owners will also be disappointed the way the season has petered out. The reality is as much as the fans have our own expectations and ideas on how things are, the owners could be thinking completely different.  Not saying that is the case but it could be. 

I agree with this and implied something similar above

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

While I'm sure some people here would never be pleased, I think the vast majority of criticism being leveled at Smith right now would be absent if our form was better.

I agree. I think there's lots of valid criticism. I've said that already.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's so funny to read the same comments, often from the same people, every time we have a difficult/poor form.

It was the same after Christmas his first season. Then we went ona record breaking run that had not happened in over a century.

It happened last March when we massively struggled with a new squad, no striker and what not. There was no way apparently he would keep us up. Yet Deano did.

And now, because we started too well this season and got double slammed with injuries and covid after Christmas.

Deano will probably figure this out too and improve us, like he has CONSISTENTLY done season after season. Yet I bet you are are quiet then. The entitlement of some of you is just hilarious.

What exactly have i said that isnt true?

Not sure why this always turns into a Smith in vs Smith out

Smith got it wrong today with his changes; but the players were poor second half after dominating the game first half. Missing Cash, Mings and Grealish (not counting him as back right now as still unfit) hurt us as we don't currently have the squad depth to cope.

Smith's still learning the PL; he's got some games wrong this season but then got some right.

Another summer to rebuild and next season we'll continue on the right path. There's been a continued trend since he's come in as manager and he should be given time to continue that.

• Like 3

Can i ask the people that are defending Smith  a legitimate question.

Your clearly happy with smith which is absolutely fine. 

But where do you think smith as a manager needs to improve? Im not talking about transfers im talking about him and his own performance 

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Is he though? The players and manager admitted last season was nowhere near good enough. With a high net spend this year I'm sure the owners will also be disappointed the way the season has petered out. The reality is as much as the fans have our own expectations and ideas on how things are, the owners could be thinking completely different.  Not saying that is the case but it could be. 

I think he'd be sacked if the owners weren't happy. Bruce didn't last long did he? 

I think they'll see what a weird season it's been and take into account many factors. I might be wrong but I don't see him under threat at all. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

But where do you think smith as a manager needs to improve? Im not talking about transfers im talking about him and his own performance 

Hard to say at the moment because I think part of the issue is the limitations within the squad. 

Last year I'd have said defence and he's improved that area. Also being a goal threat and he's improved that. 

I think we're way too sloppy at times and when the bench is stronger I'm interested to see how he uses it more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

100% that’s what I’m focused on and I know many others are too. 

The seasons over mate, 11th is good enough, don't worry about the last 2 games, especially when the other  "little group"  ain't been worried about the last 10.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

For me personally if he made subs at half time every week, played every kid from the under 18 squad and sat on a bucket I’d be delighted.

In all seriousness it’s difficult to know what he does on a day to day basis to know what he needs to improve on. He’s done a pretty good job over the seasons with the limitations imposed on him by the squad we have.

But he does need a bucket.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

100% that’s what I’m focused on and I know many others are too. 

Absolutely. If you're not happy with this season overall then it might be awhile before you find enjoyment following Aston Villa. 

It feels very good to be a comfortable Premier league side again, heading in the right direction. 

It's been way too long since we've been able to say that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

So the results have been acceptable, but they have occurred in the wrong order?

Essentially that’s probably true. If our season was reversed and we struggled at the start but finished very strong (including thrashing Liverpool in our last few games) I think people would be a lot happier and more optimistic about the season to come. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Game management, specifically making changes is where we are currently at our weakest.

He could argue that we don't have the strength in depth to make changes that can always change a game; and it would be a valid point.

In fairness to Smith though sometimes his game management does pay off; notably the Fulham game recently, and to some extent the West Brom game.

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hard to say at the moment because I think part of the issue is the limitations within the squad. 

Last year I'd have said defence and he's improved that area. Also being a goal threat and he's improved that. 

I think we're way too sloppy at times and when the bench is stronger I'm interested to see how he uses it more. 

Defence being better is debatable, we still make the same mistakes. Without Martinez I think we would be bottom half, the amount of worldys he has pulled off, so so glad we have him.

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Not sure why this always turns into a Smith in vs Smith out

Some fans calling for his head every time we have disappointing result might have something to do with it. 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

For me:

• Sometimes slow to change things tactically during games
  • Somewhat over-reliant on favourites/trusted, core group - doesn't seem to change things enough or fast enough when fatigue seems to be a factor

There's probably other, better reasons, and maybe these aren't right - I'm no expert - but those are things that bug me.

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Essentially that’s probably true. If our season was reversed and we struggled at the start but finished very strong (including thrashing Liverpool in our last few games) I think people would be a lot happier and more optimistic about the season to come. 

But is there a strong correlation between the last 10 games of a season and where that team will finish next year? 

I find it strange that some don't view the season as a whole. 

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

Game management, specifically making changes is where we are currently at our weakest.

He could argue that we don't have the strength in depth to make changes that can always change a game; and it would be a valid point.

In fairness to Smith though sometimes his game management does pay off; notably the Fulham game recently, and to some extent the West Brom game.

I’d add that I think he’s a bit rigid in his team set ups, I wouldn’t mind seeing a different formation occasionally. I think there’s a predictability about the side.

But I’ll add that I don’t think that is unique to Smith. More options in the squad and off the bench should rectify that.

• Like 3

Â